Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazillian waxing

• 30-11-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

So I got my first brazillian a few weeks ago and I'm looking to get it done again, the pain was something else though haha, I do have a very high pain threshold and even I found it almost unbearable.

So help me ease my mind - will it be better/worse/the same as the first time getting it done? I'm hoping you more experienced people will say better ;)

Oh and another question - long/short hair, which is better painwise? I would imagine long hair would be easier for the waxer to remove and less chance of having to go over the one spot over and over again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Jenny-I've been getting waxes for years,have had some awful experiences due to wax being too cool or therapist seeming inexperienced .had my 1st Hollywood 2weeks ago.wow.it was least painless ever,she was brilliant ,will never go anywhere else.she said,by the way,its better to trim beforehand,makes it easier on us.on a pain scale of 1 to 10,10 being bad,this was only a 2.she's in portlaoise,which is great for moi,as most people here seem to have to travel to cities to get quality treatments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

msthe80s wrote: »
    Jenny-I've been getting waxes for years,have had some awful experiences due to wax being too cool or therapist seeming inexperienced .had my 1st Hollywood 2weeks ago.wow.it was least painless ever,she was brilliant ,will never go anywhere else.she said,by the way,its better to trim beforehand,makes it easier on us.on a pain scale of 1 to 10,10 being bad,this was only a 2.she's in portlaoise,which is great for moi,as most people here seem to have to travel to cities to get quality treatments.

I trust my beautician, she lives just down the road from me, and is very quick when it comes to the waxing. I'm a poor student, so I can't afford the expensive waxing - I get it for €30 :D
    Hmmm may trim though beforehand! thanks! I'm making my appointment for next week so I'm nice and clean for christmas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

the pain was something else though haha, I do have a very high pain threshold and even I found it almost unbearable.

If you go to somewhere that uses Lycon, it really isn't that sore. You should look for somewhere else if it's really sore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Majestic 12

I've been trying to decide between Brazilia and Urbana. Anyone tried either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

To try reduce the pain of waxing, here are my tips:

1) trim the hair so it is about half an inch long (or shorter, but obviously not too short).
    2) have a shower a few hours before hand and put some baby powder in the area, the beautician should put some powder there too but the drier you can get it the better. Give it a few hours so that the skin has returned to its normal state before you get it done.
    3) loose clothes - no sexy underwear of tights directly afterwards or before - trackies are great!
    4) if you are really worried, take 2 painkillers (paracetamol or something similar) about half an hour before you go to get it done.
    5) relax - you'll feel the pain more if you are really worried about getting it done and tense up

Good luck!

• Advertisement

To try reduce the pain of waxing, here are my tips:

1) trim the hair so it is about half an inch long (or shorter, but obviously not too short).
    2) have a shower a few hours before hand and put some baby powder in the area, the beautician should put some powder there too but the drier you can get it the better. Give it a few hours so that the skin has returned to its normal state before you get it done.
    3) loose clothes - no sexy underwear of tights directly afterwards or before - trackies are great!
    4) if you are really worried, take 2 painkillers (paracetamol or something similar) about half an hour before you go to get it done.
    5) relax - you'll feel the pain more if you are really worried about getting it done and tense up

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! When I got it done last I took 2 painkilers and wore my very baggy tracksuit haha, I always get my legs and bikini line waxed I'm only dabbling into the brazillian now!
    The powder trick is a good idea actually, I'll definitly do that. my beautician also said that proper exfoliation and moisturisation helps a lot comming up to it as well.

I've been trying to decide between Brazilia and Urbana. Anyone tried either?

What is an urbana?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I had a "Brazilian" once....

It was in a lady's house near where I used to live. She didn't even do the bits you'd get for a "tidy up". She did the belly/special area and then a bit below that, no legs, no nothing else. I was prepared to let this lady see it all, and she charged me €40 just to wax my belly!!

I left wondering if I'd been fooling myself on the meaning of Brazilian Wax for the last few years.

Disappointment Central!

Oh, and she re-waxed areas more than 3 or 4 times... it was the most horrible experience ever.

Must sort out getting a proper one done :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

It was in a lady's house near where I used to live. She didn't even do the bits you'd get for a "tidy up". She did the belly/special area and then a bit below that, no legs, no nothing else. I was prepared to let this lady see it all, and she charged me €40 just to wax my belly!!
    I left wondering if I'd been fooling myself on the meaning of Brazilian Wax for the last few years.
    Disappointment Central!
    Oh, and she re-waxed areas more than 3 or 4 times... it was the most horrible experience ever.

Sorry, I don't really understand. She waxed your belly? Why? And what is the 'special bit' below that? Is that not your genital area?
    Perhaps I'm being a bit dense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Jelly2 wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't really understand. She waxed your belly? Why? And what is the 'special bit' below that? Is that not your genital area?
    Perhaps I'm being a bit dense!

by belly/special area, I mean the bit above the genital area and the below there, is the genital area. I was trying to "not be graphic"

FAIL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

by belly/special area, I mean the bit above the genital area and the below there, is the genital area. I was trying to "not be graphic"

FAIL!

Aah, now I have a full visual map!!!!!!!!!!! I shouldn't have probed!!! Just kidding.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Majestic 12

What is an urbana?

That gave a giggle! :D

Urbana is a waxing salon in Dublin and so is Brazilia. They're both supposed to be very good and I was looking to see if anyone had used either of them.

Urbana is a waxing salon in Dublin and so is Brazilia. They're both supposed to be very good and I was looking to see if anyone had used either of them.

Ohhhhhhh! Sorry bit of a dim moment there :D Thought it was some 'new age' wax, oh now I'm embarassed haha :p

Disappointment Central!

I get mine done from a lady who runs a beautician business from her house (she's fully certified and trained), she did everything for €25 but not the legs - is it normal to get legs done during a brazillian - or so you mean the hair just on the tighs by the bikini area?

And re waxing over and over again owwww :eek: My beautician tries to get everything off in one go (thank heavens) she had to re wax only a few times and tweezed any left overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

Rewaxing can cause infection and can be very damaging to the skin. If you ever notice your therapist doing this, never go back! this is very bad practice :(

Rewaxing can cause infection and can be very damaging to the skin. If you ever notice your therapist doing this, never go back! this is very bad practice :(

And to add to that, they should either have really clean hands or wear gloves while waxing. Don't want an infection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I presume you mean Brazilia or Urban Wax?

I have been to Urban Wax before, great experience. Almost pain free for me, having my legs done afterwards actually hurt more! :p Big +1 for the lycon hot wax though, it helps a lot.

I don't know where in Dublin you are based but southside Waxperts are worth a visit. Really nice staff and a little cheaper than the alternatives posted above :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

hi, i know this thread is somewhat old but i've got it into my head in the last few days that i would like to try a brazillian wax for my holidays (and surprise the hubby!)

i youtubed a clip and it all looks very embarrassing!!! it was an american clip and the waxed the butt area too. Does that happen in irish salons? i'm not a particularly hair person and don't have hair there, am just really looking for the "landing strip" effect. I just can't get passed the embarrassing thoughts of having a beautician poking about down there lol i know they see them all the time!!

also - how do you reduce the cause of the red bumps and itchy regrowth???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

kassie wrote: »
    hi, i know this thread is somewhat old but i've got it into my head in the last few days that i would like to try a brazillian wax for my holidays (and surprise the hubby!)

i youtubed a clip and it all looks very embarrassing!!! it was an american clip and the waxed the butt area too. Does that happen in irish salons? i'm not a particularly hair person and don't have hair there, am just really looking for the "landing strip" effect. I just can't get passed the embarrassing thoughts of having a beautician poking about down there lol i know they see them all the time!!

also - how do you reduce the cause of the red bumps and itchy regrowth???????

You don't have to have your bum waxed. If you wanna leave a landing strip, say that. I tend to have it all off but I had a bf who preferred some hair so my beautician would ask how much I wanted left and she'd keep waxing until I said that was enough off.

I wear paper pants when I'm getting waxed so it's not really embarrassing, just pull them to the sides etc. Kind of protects your modesty a bit.

As for red bumps, I don't get them from waxing, only ever happened when I shaved and I don't find waxing regrowth itchy at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I've been going to Urbana for Hollywoods regularly for well over a year now, they're brilliant (and I've been to both Urban Wax and Brazilia!)

They have a loyalty card where you get your treatment free every few visits ... and always possible to get an appointment.

Ask for Jenni (that's not me btw!!) :)

http://www.urbana.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 dazzledust88

I trust my beautician, she lives just down the road from me, and is very quick when it comes to the waxing. I'm a poor student, so I can't afford the expensive waxing - I get it for €30 :D
    Hmmm may trim though beforehand! thanks! I'm making my appointment for next week so I'm nice and clean for christmas :D

how long does a wax last you exactly?:confused:

how long does a wax last you exactly?:confused:

Obviously I was going to get another wax close to christmas after that one, when regrowth wasnt too bad to hurt as much.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

thanks ladies

i'm in mullingar so Urbana is a little ways out for me :D i'll quiz up a few of the local salons to see, might even get brave enough to ask family members if they've tried it and if they have any recommendations! I have a cousin who is a beautician but i don't think i could bear my lady garden in front of her :eek: :cool: lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 dazzledust88

Obviously I was going to get another wax close to christmas after that one, when regrowth wasnt too bad to hurt as much.
    :rolleyes:

hehe, sorry, i was just checking as it doesnt even last a week for me :( I wanted to know which beautician you went to:o

• Registered Users Posts: 32 x167346

Pythia wrote: »
    If you go to somewhere that uses Lycon, it really isn't that sore. You should look for somewhere else if it's really sore!

I defo agree with the lycon waxing, I had my first hollywood wax before my wedding and it wasn't sore at all, slight twinge but honestly the best wax around IMO

Advertisement