Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young lad getting too clever :-)

Options
  • 30-11-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I used the usual threat : 'Santa is watching, no presents for bold boys, etc'

My 8 yr old informed me that the boldest boy in the school who the teacher has to give out to nearly every day, and gets sent to the headmaster and he is even bold at soccer training etc etc well he got an xbox and loads of other stuff last year!- So thats not true........
    Oh yeah and he has been bold for years lol!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

But here's what he could have won:
    *draws back curtain to reveal speedboat*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Maybe you could say that maybe sant didn't actually bring those presents and that the boys parents felt sorry for him and got them for him...
    Although that could backfire if your young lad tells this boy that he heard that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I never liked that whole 'be good or Santa will not give you any presents' gimmick. Seems wrong to bribe children into behaving well.

Perhaps just tell him the truth? Seems like a smart lad and has probably already figured it out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, just tell him that if he's bold he won't be allowed to play with the presents Santa gives him for a day or two. Evil but effective. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Perhaps just tell him the truth? Seems like a smart lad and has probably already figured it out anyway.

Have you lost your mind!!! He's only 8...:(

• Advertisement

Fittle wrote: »

Bah, I'd figured it out long before then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I never liked that whole 'be good or Santa will not give you any presents' gimmick. Seems wrong to bribe children into behaving well.
    I agree with this.

And this. He does seem like an intelligent lil guy, it would be counter productive to lie to him about this. Encouraging good behaviour is a parents job, and he's smart enough to have blown the good/bad thing on Santa anyway :)

Yeah but conversely you should reward them for good behaviour. Eat all your dinner and you get to play computer games for a while, otherwise no computer games etc.

No! he doesn't mean THAT! :D

just that it doesn't matter, they all get something from santa :)

Abi wrote: »
    No! he doesn't mean THAT! :D

just that it doesn't matter, they all get something from santa :)

I think he did mean THAT!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What did I or didn't I mean? I thought I was pretty clear :D

I was 8 when I realised the truth about 'Santa'. Kids today are much more knowledgeable so I'd guess that he at least has a hint of the truth already.

Yeah, I agree you were pretty clear;)

As the mum of a 9yr old who is wondering what next Christmas will be like without Santa (as this is our last year I think:(), I just think that 8 is too young...but each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I always tell my girls that you start off the year with hundreds of presents on their santy list and every bad deed knocks one off so by the time christmas rolls around if you've only 4 or 5 things then they've only themselves to blame... i always notice an improvement in behaviour in december :D

What did I or didn't I mean? I thought I was pretty clear :D

I was 8 when I realised the truth about 'Santa'. Kids today are much more knowledgeable so I'd guess that he at least has a hint of the truth already.

You did mean THAT :eek: :eek:

In hindsight I guess, you're right about them catching on a lot younger. If they question about it, best be truthful. It's kinda sad though, I think I was about 11 when the hen told me. Friends were saying stuff to me, and I didn't want to hear it. I asked her then one day while she was ironing, I cried :o

It is sad, and kids are definitely finding out younger. My lad had 7yr olds telling him after last Xmas that it was ME who got up in the middle of the night to put his bike together:eek:

Abi wrote: »
    You did mean THAT :eek: :eek:

In hindsight I guess, you're right about them catching on a lot younger. If they question about it, best be truthful. It's kinda sad though, I think I was about 11 when the hen told me. Friends were saying stuff to me, and I didn't want to hear it. I asked her then one day while she was ironing, I cried :o

6, kept quiet about it because I thought the presents would stop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Coal doesnt work. If there like myself they will love the coal. i showed who was smarter. real shock to the old man:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I knew from day 1. However my young lady was in second class when she Sussed it but went along with it, she puts on a great act for her younger brothers though. I think it's really stupid that you have kids in 6th class who still believe, but each to their own.

I think it's really stupid that you have kids in 6th class who still believe, but each to their own.

What's stupid about a child believing in Santa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I think it's really stupid that you have kids in 6th class who still believe, but each to their own.

Theres nothing wrong. I still believe and im in college. i still believe in front of my family and even my dad just to make him happy. he told me, but its the last little bit we have of magic in Christmas. with out it its just like wasteful money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I knew from day 1. However my young lady was in second class when she Sussed it but went along with it, she puts on a great act for her younger brothers though. I think it's really stupid that you have kids in 6th class who still believe, but each to their own.
    I was 11 and in 6th class when I found out. I think Santa is great, it really makes everything so magical. I miss that about Christmas now (I'm 16). There's nothing wrong with believing in Santa and actually I would find it weird if little kids didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I agree. I put believing in Santa up there with believing in fairies, or Mickey Mouse, or angels. It's just a peice of magic to enjoy during the innocence of youth. There's plenty of time when people grow older to become cynical and mistrusting of anything they can't touch. Why not let children hold on to the idea that someone out there is watching over them & providing them with a special treat for being good? Adults do this too, but they call it religion. ;)

Sure, Santa's a story that we've all elaborated and maybe we do put too much stock in it, but I'd hardly consider it "stupid" to treasure that fantasy.

In the OP's case, once the child has grown to realize the story for what it is, then let that be the natural order of it. But I can remember the exact moment that I found out Santa didn't exist, and I know that Christmas has never since held that magical element.

Ayla wrote: »
    But I can remember the exact moment that I found out Santa didn't exist, and I know that Christmas has never since held that magical element.

Christmas was never magical for me. I'm dead inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I remember being told when I was 8. It didn't cost me a second thought other than.. "meh"... :o and it made more sense anyway. My daughter is 9 now and I think she had it sussed last year. If she asks me outright at this stage I won't lie but it would be good if she doesn't ask me before this Christmas :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think by 8 the game is almost up.

Its not much to figure out, considering they generally only get things you can buy. They can't pick stuff of any value, or that you can't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sure kids will hear things that make them doubt the reality of Santa but if they ask or pressurise you to tell them - they actually don't want to hear the truth. None of mine to date have. I put a lot of time into reinforcing the fantasy and explaining away things that other kids say.

Santa brings presents to children who know of him and believe in him. That's magic. For those who don't believe in him their parents have to make up the shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

my mam told me I had figured it out by 4 :o kinda sucks coz I watched my brother "believe" till he was 15 and he used to MAKE my xmas, watching him get excited about every stupid thing. I hate thinking our 7yr old knows because the magic is awesome :D

Advertisement