Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a regulator on a gas cylinder - diy or not?

• 30-11-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, not sure if this is the right place for this or not....

I have a gas hob, working of standard yellow domestic gas cylinder, that is not working correctly. I contacted manufacturer and in fairness to the engineer when he called back, he suggested that the problem sounds like the regulator on the cylinder needs to be replaced. So he suggested I do that before paying him €80 to call out and tell me the same thing.

Now my question is, is this something I could do myself? Or should I just call a plumber and get it done professionally?

On the face of it, it looks like a simple case of opening the existing clip, pull off the old regulator, then push in the new once and tighten the clip again.
    Has anyone done it & is it really that simple or is there anything I need to watch out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Hi folks, not sure if this is the right place for this or not....

I have a gas hob, working of standard yellow domestic gas cylinder, that is not working correctly. I contacted manufacturer and in fairness to the engineer when he called back, he suggested that the problem sounds like the regulator on the cylinder needs to be replaced. So he suggested I do that before paying him €80 to call out and tell me the same thing.

Now my question is, is this something I could do myself? Or should I just call a plumber and get it done professionally?

On the face of it, it looks like a simple case of opening the existing clip, pull off the old regulator, then push in the new once and tighten the clip again.
    Has anyone done it & is it really that simple or is there anything I need to watch out for?

Its pretty much that simple, same as a camping stove / bbq. I would probably cut the tube back about 1 inch so your clamping onto a new piece of the tube. Also don't over tighten the jublie clip on the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Warm the end of the hose in hot water, it will make it easier to slide onto the regulator.
    If the problem is related to the cold weather I would suggest changing from butane to propane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Thanks for the advice....job is done & hob back working :D:D

The advice about hot water was particularly helpful....I actually finished up dipping the old connection into hot water to get the old unit off.

Thanks again :D

Advertisement