Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigerian senate passes anti-gay bill

2»

Comments

Dey cool wit de lesbians apparently.

Because everyone knows women dont poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Sykk wrote: »
    Source

This is disgusting. 14 years in prison if gays fulfill their sexual desire because backward society aren't comfortable with it. Surely this should be a violation of international law somehow at this day and age.

.."backward society.." just tell us what is the sum total of your knowledge of the Sovereign State of Nigeria,and of the Nigerian people ..radio silence..exactly..thought so !!

Ignorant defence of your opinion with racist undertone to emphasise your clear superiority..congrats..and your `society` is such a beacon of shining example to the World !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Racist ? FFS we are discussing a country which locks up people for being homosexual. Yes they are a backward society as was our country when it was doing the same.
    smegmar wrote: »
    The basis of a truly free enlightened society is the principle that "I disagree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it."

The issue is not what crazy sh1t the Nigerian authorities say. The issue is what they do.

afrodub wrote: »
    .."backward society.." just tell us what is the sum total of your knowledge of the Sovereign State of Nigeria,and of the Nigerian people ..radio silence..exactly..thought so !!

Ignorant defence of your opinion with racist undertone to emphasise your clear superiority..congrats..and your `society` is such a beacon of shining example to the World !!

We know that being gay there will get you a long spell in the chokey.

And our society generally accepts gay people, one even ran for president recently.

And to be honest it is pretty 'backward' thinking if someone is persecuted for something they can do nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Our society doesn't imprison people for being gay (anymore).

Nigeria now does, all because of religious "morals". Quite frankly they can get stuffed.

efb wrote: »
    I don't donate to any religious charities - bible with your plumpinut ?

UNICEF gets my forgien aid

Mr/Mrs Bible basher are you `happy` to be informed of the Luciferian motivated agenda of UNICEF ?.. clearly Not you sanctimoniously "don`t donate to (nb) any religious charities"..

For another thread and place research the Lucis(Luciferian) Trust..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Oh boy we have a live one here :eek:

Edz87 wrote: »
    We know that being gay there will get you a long spell in the chokey.

And our society generally accepts gay people, one even ran for president recently.

And to be honest it is pretty 'backward' thinking if someone is persecuted for something they can do nothing about.

Thankyou at least for being `honest` I think..:rolleyes:..does `our society`truly accept gay persons though..I have my reservations based solely on my personal observations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Thankyou at least for being `honest` I think..:rolleyes:..does `our society`truly accept gay persons though..I have my reservations based solely on my personal observations.

Sure, some people here are homophobic, some are racist and some are anti-semetic.

That doesn't mean we imprison gay people and encourage people to beat, murder and rape women to "cure" them.

Get a grip.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Our society doesn't imprison people for being gay (anymore).

Nigeria now does, all because of religious "morals". Quite frankly they can get stuffed.

.."they can get stuffed"...lulz..that`s just it they can`t (anymore)..its against their Law :D

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sure, some people here are homophobic, some are racist and some are anti-semetic.

That doesn't mean we imprison gay people and encourage people to beat, murder and rape women to "cure" them.

Get a grip.

That last line a freudian slip..:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It was illegal here till 1993.
    State of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Hmmm,
    is it me or is there a certain amount of walking of egg shells happening in this thread?

If this was Japan, America, France etc. You'd hear it all out of people .. "those crazy japs!" - "those stupid ignorant yanks!" - "those stuck up french dicks!" .. but seeing as how its Nigeria. Hmmm, seems like people dont wanna say much out of fears of being called a racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

are you posting this from Nigeria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Edz87 wrote: »
    So does that mean all the Nigerian gays will come over here???!!!!

QUICK SOMEONE CALL THE DAILY MAIL!!!

Coming over here bumming our gays:p

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Racist ? FFS we are discussing a country which locks up people for being homosexual. Yes they are a backward society as was our country when it was doing the same.

The issue is not what crazy sh1t the Nigerian authorities say. The issue is what they do.

Are you a translator for `Sykk` ...he described Nigeria as a `backward society`..and has neither retracted nor attempted thus far to fully explain his comment..you underline that position by stating the very same remark..FFS indeed !!

Now ponder this if person(s),who had never been to your country,NI I note, and concluded that your society was to considered say eg.an `ignorant society` based on what.. one controversial law..umm...err...exactly..?..

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Coming over here bumming our gays:p

That`s the spirit...lulzz

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Hmmm,
    is it me or is there a certain amount of walking of egg shells happening in this thread?

If this was Japan, America, France etc. You'd hear it all out of people .. "those crazy japs!" - "those stupid ignorant yanks!" - "those stuck up french dicks!" .. but seeing as how its Nigeria. Hmmm, seems like people dont wanna say much out of fears of being called a racist.

Answer..no its you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What a shockingly backward law.

Pretty indefensible really.

krudler wrote: »
    are you posting this from Nigeria?

Yes if Drumcondra now counts as Greater Nigeria :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

Hmmm,

Exactly. We should encourage the gay ones to come here so we can give them free houses and welfare benefits. Can they come here for asylum for being persecuted for being gay same as the female genital mutilation excuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

alphanine wrote: »
    Exactly. We should encourage the gay ones to come here so we can give them free houses and welfare benefits. Can they come here for asylum for being persecuted for being gay same as the female genital mutilation excuse?

I could do with some fresh meat tbf... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bit of a quandary for the gay and black/hating folks.

The eat da poo poo guy is awesome though in fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Veles wrote: »
    The haters will love this
    Black gay Nigerians flooding these shores en mass!
    Sounds like a Daily Mail title too :(

At least they'll have style and flair....hello sailor (I'll get my coat)

Hmmm,

Are you kidding? Boards is the place where spineless racists flock to vent.

Afrodub, how is it racist to condemn this as backwards? If it were happening in Poland (and there is a pretty homophobic outlook by the establishment there) and people called it backward, would that be racist? You're the one bringing colour into it. It's of no relevance.

I don't understand the "cut all aid" thing though. People are suffering enough, make them suffer more is it? I know African countries shouldn't be depending on aid, and being taught to help themselves would benefit more long-term. But I wouldn't agree with ALL aid being cut...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It was illegal here till 1993.
    State of the place.

I think they stopped actively prosecuting gays some time before that, though.:)

However, I can remember when I was a pre-teen and read the (Carlow) Nationalist every week in the 1950s. The court reports were intriguing. For example, it was a fairly regular thing to read about a couple of dozen men (names and addresses, occupations and ages specified) up in some or other district court for "gross indecency". It took me years to figure out what that meant, because asking an adult only elicited replies along the lines of "don't talk about things like that"!:eek: One person did tell me they were "f***ing nancy boys", which only confused me more.

I can't remember for sure what penalties were imposed, but think it was fines.:cool:

Thus we in Ireland are not that far ahead of some of the illiberal African countries that are now persecuring their gays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

Sykk wrote: »
    Source

This is disgusting. 14 years in prison if gays fulfill their sexual desire because backward society aren't comfortable with it. Surely this should be a violation of international law somehow at this day and age.
    They are now exporting gays to Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Why should they hand over aid at all? It's a complete waste of money & does fuck all good.

It's high time Europe grew out of it's patronising "penny for the black baby" syndrome.

Mmmm good point. I guess aid's a good idea in theory; help a country get back on it's feet and all that. Such a shame it's often so systematically abused and essentially useless in practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

@ Bolded - well said.

But in all honesty, you have to agree that the decision of the Nigerian senate to pass a bill that discriminates against a particular section of the populace(however minute) based on their sexual orientation is rightly open to criticism.

I think the Nigerian senate would have done a better job to pass bills (still pending) to bring corrupt politicians, civil servants(?) to justice.

KINGVictor wrote: »

@ Bolded - well said.

But in all honesty, you have to agree that the decision of the Nigerian senate to pass a bill that discriminates against a particular section of the populace(however minute) based on their sexual orientation is rightly open to criticism.

I think the Nigerian senate would have done a better job to pass bills (still pending) to bring corrupt politicians, civil servants(?) to justice.
    The bolded part is moot. This isn't the sum total of Nigerian society but it is still an extremely backwards law.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Are you kidding? Boards is the place where spineless racists flock to vent.

Afrodub, how is it racist to condemn this as backwards? If it were happening in Poland (and there is a pretty homophobic outlook by the establishment there) and people called it backward, would that be racist? You're the one bringing colour into it. It's of no relevance.

I don't understand the "cut all aid" thing though. People are suffering enough, make them suffer more is it? I know African countries shouldn't be depending on aid, and being taught to help themselves would benefit more long-term. But I wouldn't agree with ALL aid being cut...

Did I bring `colour into it` enlighten me..Dudess..where did I write that word..

`I don`t understand.. (you got that right)..."cut all aid" thing though`..quite..no you certainly don`t understand..still doesn`t stop you with that old chestnut patronising line.."..being taught to help themselves would benefit.." blah di blah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

smegmar wrote: »
    So it's alright for them to starve to death because they have different values from you.....?

There is alot of peaching in the western world that everyone MUST conform to our ideology and morality, it's basically cultural war. If they think that way so let them, we still have a duty to protect human life where ever it is irregardless of whether or not they conform to your views.

The basis of a truly free enlightened society is the principle that "I disagree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it."

I suppose we should have respected the Nazi ideology behind the holocaust? Or that of the KKK while lynching blacks in America? after all, we're a truly free and enlightened society that does not engage in "cultural war".

Your post is idealistic nonsense, jailing somebody for partaking in a natural act is absurd. You say we should prevent starvation to save lives, but in what way will your attitude prevent the "corrective rape" and extrajudicial killing of homosexuals in Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Wonder how many Nigerians around the world that are about to be deported home will all of a sudden become gay?

I'm gay, and so is my wife!

Assuming no prior knowledge about the State of Nigeria, one could conclude based on this thread that they have a parliament full of homophobic bigots. One could also assume that seeing as this parliament is democratically elected, that a majority of the citizens are likewise.

Based on this, I feel it's reasonable to describe Nigeria as a backward society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I always think it's funny how quickly we are to point out perceived faults in other countries/cultures while blissfully ignoring our own.

Same-sex sexual activities were illegal in Ireland for about 90% of the last 150 years....it was finally decriminalized in 1993.

Same-sex marriage isn't legal in Ireland today.

It's still legal for Hospitals, Churches, Universities to not hire someone if they are gay in Ireland today.

Same-sex couples can't legally adopt children in Ireland today.

I'm all for 100% equality for gays/lesbians/whatever....but it's amazing how quickly we forget our own transgressions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Man this is gonna cause some serious shîtstorm. Real implications, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

So i could be locked up or sentenced to death if i went to parts of africa for being who I am........cant wait for a chugger to approach me now knowing this.

I couldnt give a flying fcuk what Nigeria thinks of me.

Robdude wrote: »
    I always think it's funny how quickly we are to point out perceived faults in other countries/cultures while blissfully ignoring our own.

Same-sex sexual activities were illegal in Ireland for about 90% of the last 150 years....it was finally decriminalized in 1993.

Same-sex marriage isn't legal in Ireland today.

It's still legal for Hospitals, Churches, Universities to not hire someone if they are gay in Ireland today.

Same-sex couples can't legally adopt children in Ireland today.

I'm all for 100% equality for gays/lesbians/whatever....but it's amazing how quickly we forget our own transgressions.

I think that anyone criticising this law would also be critical of the instances in Ireland that you referred to. I'm just as critical about our own backward "transgressions" as I am about those in Nigeria. This thread however is about a law in Nigeria, hence my not highlighting our own issues.

I'm fairly sure your point about hospitals and universities being permitted to not hire people based on sexual orientation is wrong however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I think that anyone criticising this law would also be critical of the instances in Ireland that you referred to. I'm just as critical about our own backward "transgressions" as I am about those in Nigeria. This thread however is about a law in Nigeria, hence my not highlighting our own issues.

I'm fairly sure your point about hospitals and universities being permitted to not hire people based on sexual orientation is wrong however.

I don't know much about Irish law, so I could be wrong, but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Discrimination_protections
    Section 37 of the Employment Equality Act, does however allow religious organisations, medical institutions or educational institutions an exemption on employment grounds. If such an organisation wants to maintain the religious ethos or prevent the religious ethos from being undermined then it is not illegal under section 37 for them to discriminate. This applies to employment only. Groups such as the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, the Irish National Teachers Organisation and the Irish Labour Party want to abolish section 37.

Anyway, I fully agree that the law is crap. But I also feel people are more likely to say things like, 'Oh what a backwards group of cold-hearted bastards' when it's someone else.

• Advertisement

Robdude wrote: »
    I don't know much about Irish law, so I could be wrong, but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Discrimination_protections
    Section 37 of the Employment Equality Act, does however allow religious organisations, medical institutions or educational institutions an exemption on employment grounds. If such an organisation wants to maintain the religious ethos or prevent the religious ethos from being undermined then it is not illegal under section 37 for them to discriminate. This applies to employment only. Groups such as the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, the Irish National Teachers Organisation and the Irish Labour Party want to abolish section 37.

Anyway, I fully agree that the law is crap. But I also feel people are more likely to say things like, 'Oh what a backwards group of cold-hearted bastards' when it's someone else.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0021/sec0037.html

Only "religious, educational or medical institution which is under the direction or control of a body established for religious purposes or whose objectives include the provision of services in an environment which promotes certain religious values "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

kfallon wrote: »

That is the funniest yet also stupidest video iv seen in a long time..

Eat the poo poo !! What ****ing bang are these idiots on ? Uganda has a lot of links to charitable religious groups from the US so I reckon this has something to do with it...

Uganda has always been a dump anyway but I would have thought Nigeria to be better than this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

People might complain about Nigerian refugees in the country but seem to have no problem with accepting much needed doctors, lawyers etc from the part of their population that is highly educated.

Some Nigerians are a drain on the country's resources, but that's really only half the story.
    And what, pray tell, is the percentage of these skilled people among the Nigerian population in Ireland?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Freddie59 wrote: »
    And what, pray tell, is the percentage of these skilled people among the Nigerian population in Ireland?:confused:

What pray tell does that have to do with anything?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We just need to pass a 'Leave people the fuck alone' law globally.

Like the Jews were left alone during World War 2? Had other people abroad taken that attitude with us then many of our ancestors wouldn't have survived the famine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If only we had a declaration somehow, of say rights that would be considered universal and applies to humans. Hmmm.

;)

Like the Jews were left alone during World War 2? Had other people abroad taken that attitude with us then many of our ancestors wouldn't have survived the famine.

Huh?

You really think the Jews were left alone in WW2? If they'd been left alone they wouldn't have been driven into ghettos and transported to concentration camps.

Ahfuggedaboudit.

Huh?

You really think the Jews were left alone in WW2? If they'd been left alone they wouldn't have been driven into ghettos and transported to concentration camps.

Ahfuggedaboudit.

They were left alone by the Allies, who didn't intervene to prevent the holocaust. Do you think they should have prevented it or not?

They were left alone by the Allies, who didn't intervene to prevent the holocaust. Do you think they should have prevented it or not?

Okay I'm going to make my original comment clear.

I think they should pass a 'Leave people who are doing no harm to anyone else, who are consenting adults, and who are voluntarily in each others company, alone law'.

Yeah?

Advertisement