Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret key logger app on millions of phones

Options
  • 30-11-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

well this isnt very good to say the least if its true...

from TheRegister see article for more details and video
    An Android app developer has published what he says is conclusive proof that millions of smartphones are secretly monitoring the key presses, geographic locations, and received messages of its users.
    In a YouTube video posted on Monday, Trevor Eckhart showed how software from a Silicon Valley company known as Carrier IQ recorded in real time the keys he pressed into a stock EVO handset, which he had reset to factory settings just prior to the demonstration. Using a packet sniffer while his device was in airplane mode, he demonstrated how each numeric tap and every received text message is logged by the software.

Ironically, he says, the Carrier IQ software recorded the “hello world” dispatch even before it was displayed on his handset.

Eckhart then connected the device to a Wi-Fi network and pointed his browser at Google. Even though he denied the search giant's request that he share his physical location, the Carrier IQ software recorded it. The secret app then recorded the precise input of his search query – again, “hello world” – even though he typed it into a page that uses the SSL, or secure sockets layer, protocol to encrypt data sent between the device and the servers.
    “We can see that Carrier IQ is querying these strings over my wireless network [with] no 3G connectivity and it is reading HTTPS,” the 25-year-old Eckhart says.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

Id say smartphones are the next frontier in cybercrime. I can only imagine the scale and utter horror that a hacker can unleash using DDoS attacks and what not, via smartphones. They are always on, owned by alot of people with ownership on the inrease and almost always connected

As for google, they special in data mining, i wouldnt be surprised if they tried to sneak in such programs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Awh thank god i have a windows phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

This has also been seen on the Iphone so its not nesserarly an Android thing. There is no saying at this point is it is present on WP7 or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

This has also been seen on the Iphone so its not nesserarly an Android thing. There is no saying at this point is it is present on WP7 or not.

It's been confirmed that Windows Phones don't have CarrierIQ on them.

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsofts-joe-belfiore-confirms-no-carrier-iq-software-windows-phones

Its not as it was confirmed yesterday. I wasn't really bothered with the fact that some one could seemy location and stuff. But having access to everything I do on my phone is way beyond creepy and privacy intrusion.

The reason why this is not present on wp7. Because rootkit is a Unix type of file. Hence why its used on IOS and android and not there for windows as its different file system.

On IOS you have an option to turn it off as well.

On Android?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Thanks for the info - wasnt aware. One less device i need to worry about.

On Android im not sure, if rooted, and using something along the lines of the "LBE privicy" app, Nothing on the phone should be able to broadcast anything without direct approval from the user.

However, without a device to test this on, its just guesswork on my part.

I must do a bit of reading over on the XDA forums later to see how they are progressing with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

On IOS you have an option to turn it off as well.

How might I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

AntiVirus wrote: »
    It's been confirmed that Windows Phones don't have CarrierIQ on them.
    Well I'm thoroughly disappointed, it's like Microsoft don't even care any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

Thank god I have a 'dumb' phone, just text and calls and a cr@p camera... ;)

It was kind of predictable that with phones getting 'smart' it will be more difficult to discover a software of that kind and that someone(not necessarily a company that makes them) will try to use it in some malicious way.

ScumLord wrote: »

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

The old saying "Information is power" springs to mind as it leasds to money money money!!! Imagine the data mining potential of all this data! Once NFC takes off and is accepted in the shops phones will be the no 1 target for viruses etc!

Once NFC takes off and is accepted in the shops phones will be the no 1 target for viruses etc!

Yes, soon they'll be able to pick your pockets just by walking by you! :pac:

cronin_j wrote: »
    How might I ask?

On iOS 5 in first time start up you have the option to turn diagnostics on and off. As far as i have read for previous versions this diagnostics option was burried somewhere deep withing settings.

Not an iPhone owner so havent a clue where it is.

Just reading out from apples statement from yesterday that they dont use CarrierIQ...Sort of...Anymore :)

We're special :) We have our own data mining tool :) But we do always have had the option to turn it off in the settings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

cronin_j wrote: »
    How might I ask?

On iOS 5 in first time start up you have the option to turn diagnostics on and off. As far as i have read for previous versions this diagnostics option was burried somewhere deep withing settings.

Not an iPhone owner so havent a clue where it is.

Just reading out from apples statement from yesterday that they dont use CarrierIQ...Sort of...Anymore :)

We're special :) We have our own data mining tool :) But we do always have had the option to turn it off in the settings :)
    Found it.

Settings-location services-system services (right down the bottom) then turn off data and usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

New app for android market to test your phone for Carrier IQ software (beta)

My GS2 and Dell streak 5 are safe!

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simplecarrieriqdetector

Advertisement