Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Water Well Testing

Options
  • 30-11-2011 11:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

Hi all,

My name is Jean O'Dwyer, I have a bachelor of Science in Environmental Science and am undertaking a PhD with the chemcial and environmental department of the University of Limerick.

I am looking for candidates; in the Munster region, who would be interested in having their Private well water supply tested (chemical and Microbiological) to see if it conforms to European standards.

This is completely free of charge (could cost over €200 from private testers), and you will recieve a comprehensive report on the qulaity of your water supply and guidance where necessary.

I would strongly recommend individuals with septic tanks, or close to agricultural practices to take advantage of this, as there may be contamination that you are unaware of.

If interested, please contact me on the email: water.testing@ul.ie

Even if you do not want to partake but have a question for me, feel free to email and I will help you as much as I can.

I look forward to hearing from people.

Kindest regards,

Jean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

200 euro for a water sample, are you joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

What is the overall purpose of the project?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 water.testing

No, not joking, for a complete analysis it can be quite expensive. It can be done for cheaper if you just do the chemcial analysis.

I think the HSE will do the both chemcial and Microbiological for around €120, but the results can take as long as 8 weeks to return, not an ideal situation if your drinking water is contaminated with a pathogen. Private Labs are more expensive.

The purpose of the study:

Private water supplies are often forgotten about, they are the responsibilty of the owner, who a lot of the time has little insight into the paramaters effecting the well (it was drilled prior to them moving in etc).

Wells are always seldom treated, unlike the public supply which is pre treated before being piped to people. This means that private wells are more vulnerable to contamination.

Also, people with wells often have septic tanks, and many of these are failing all over the country for many reasons; poor design, construction and flooding being some examples.

In all, I am interested to assess if there is a problem, which I suspect there is, and put some pressure on local authorities to assist people.

A colleague of mine is also doing a PhD on the effectiveness of disinfectants used on farms if anyone wants more information you can contact me.

Advertisement