Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick Mountain

• 30-11-2011 12:34pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else find this to be a slightly unusual sort of place?
    It seems underpopulated for what you would imagine to be a fairly commanding location.
    I haven't come across many references to the area historically and yet it looks as though it should be steeped in history.

Any tales, tall or otherwise, most welcome ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's a great spot, I run quite a bit up there and meet very few people up there, which suggests not too many are aware of it's existence. Lots of varying trails and loops up there, you can do a quick 4 mile loop or find yourself running for a few hours without doubling your tracks. IMRA are planning a league race up there next year.

don't tell too many people ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

slowburner wrote: »
    Does anyone else find this to be a slightly unusual sort of place?
    It seems underpopulated for what you would imagine to be a fairly commanding location.
    I haven't come across many references to the area historically and yet it looks as though it should be steeped in history.

Any tales, tall or otherwise, most welcome ;)
    what do you mean it "looks"as if it shud be steeped in history?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Just that it is in such a commanding position, situated at the edge of the Wicklow mountains and with such fine views towards the coast and Wicklow town. It also overlooks the main route inland towards Rathdrum and Arklow.

It strikes me as odd that there are no existing archaeological sites on the mountain.

Just that it is in such a commanding position, situated at the edge of the Wicklow mountains and with such fine views towards the coast and Wicklow town. It also overlooks the main route inland towards Rathdrum and Arklow.

It strikes me as odd that there are no existing archaeological sites on the mountain.
    i have also thought it an odd mountain and (isint that odd)and have often looked at it as i passed.even on google its an peculiar shape..duno why it sticks with me ...even tho i lived in glenealy for a year i never climbed it...(il have to climb it now)all i know is that the rangers shot some feral pigs up there bout two years ago

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Maudi wrote: »
    i have also thought it an odd mountain and (isint that odd)and have often looked at it as i passed.even on google its an peculiar shape..duno why it sticks with me ...even tho i lived in glenealy for a year i never climbed it...(il have to climb it now)all i know is that the rangers shot some feral pigs up there bout two years ago
    Is a feral pig the same thing as a wild boar?

• Advertisement

i stand to be be corrected but i think they were genuine wild boar types that someone had let loose rather than domestic pigs that got free ..it twas carried by the mirror and a local fella told me they had chased a couple of hikers..i wonder how many generations would it take for domestic pigs to go back to boars with the bristles n tusks..??personally id like to have seen em left alone to roam.

i stand to be be corrected but i think they were genuine wild boar types that someone had let loose rather than domestic pigs that got free ..it twas carried by the mirror and a local fella told me they had chased a couple of hikers..i wonder how many generations would it take for domestic pigs to go back to boars with the bristles n tusks..??personally id like to have seen em left alone to roam.
    I would kinda like to have them around too, but I am not too sure about their ecological impact or the fact that they chase hikers.
    How do you mean "it twas carried by the mirror" ? It sounds ghostly - which would suit Carrick mountain ;)

I would kinda like to have them around too, but I am not too sure about their ecological impact or the fact that they chase hikers.
    How do you mean "it twas carried by the mirror" ? It sounds ghostly - which would suit Carrick mountain ;)
    sorry..carried by the newspaper (the mirror)and im not sure bout their ecological damage..not much damage to be done in around all that aul rubbish that coillte grow...and the damage they leave behind with their 'scorched earth' way of taking trees..n sure the pigs native would they not?

sorry..carried by the newspaper (the mirror)and im not sure bout their ecological damage..not much damage to be done in around all that aul rubbish that coillte grow...and the damage they leave behind with their 'scorched earth' way of taking trees..n sure the pigs native would they not?
    I'm disappointed.
    It was much more fun thinking that there was some kind of ghostly mirror up on Carrick. That would be cool.
    I'll pretend I didn't see your last post and will tell everyone who's interested, about 'The Ghostly Mirror of Carrick Mountain'.
    If you see the mirror and two wild pigs on Carrick mountain you get three wishes.
    Feel free to add to, or amend the story :D

Absolutely agree with you on the green pollution and the brown pollution when it is harvested. I think that there is greater effort to plant native trees nowadays - but I could be wrong.
    Years ago I was driving a German tourist around showing him the sights, he was horrified by the amount of coniferous plantation in Wicklow.
    Says he, "If we want to see forests like this, we will go to Sweden. When we come to Ireland, we want to see rocks, bog and water - not this"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭.243

bascially yes,
    it takes a domesticated pig released out in the wild about one year from piglet litter to turn feral eg.hair,tusks etc,
    then the next set of litters from them to turn further into boar,

• Advertisement

I'm disappointed.
    It was much more fun thinking that there was some kind of ghostly mirror up on Carrick. That would be cool.
    I'll pretend I didn't see your last post and will tell everyone who's interested, about 'The Ghostly Mirror of Carrick Mountain'.
    If you see the mirror and two wild pigs on Carrick mountain you get three wishes.
    Feel free to add to, or amend the story :D

Absolutely agree with you on the green pollution and the brown pollution when it is harvested. I think that there is greater effort to plant native trees nowadays - but I could be wrong.
    Years ago I was driving a German tourist around showing him the sights, he was horrified by the amount of coniferous plantation in Wicklow.
    Says he, "If we want to see forests like this, we will go to Sweden. When we come to Ireland, we want to see rocks, bog and water - not this"
    lol.sorry to burst your bubble..what i meant to say was ...theres a story that s wild boar wanders around carrick mt. carrying a mirror..and if anybody (especially german tourists)catch their reflection in the mirror they gets sucked into it and have to spend eternity wandering with the boar..(you musta heard this story)?happened to a friend of my neighbours cousin..

Advertisement