Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - very unsettled cat (partner cat died)

• 30-11-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

some of you may know about our two kitties (got great advice here prior to finding them and getting ready) and also the unfortunate death of one this Sept :(

Maisie (the surviving cat) has always been very shy and quiet, preferring her own company butt since Sept she has become far more affectionate and comfortable, probably easier to assert herself without poor Billy around!

Until now that is - every evening when we get home, she spends hours (and I mean HOURS) walking around the kithcen, sitting room, up and down to the windows, staring at the ceiling or the wall, constantly miaowing in a very 'needy' cry.

She has food. We play, stimulate her. We attempt to rub and pacify her. We try to let her outside. All to no avail.:confused:
    After about 3 hours of this she may finally come to one of our laps and fall asleep. Its really such a significant change in her behaviour (and somewhat peculiar) that we don't know what to do...

She's not in any pain, teeth are fine, no tenderness anywhere.

She's inside all day on her own now since Billy died (used to go out in the good weather for the day, but there's been a lot of wild cats around lately so she's scared plus the weather has been awful).

Is it possible that she's lonely? If this was the case, why would she spend the evenings turning away from us and constantly crying and walking around the house?

Should we think about adopting a second kitten / young cat as a companion? She's so timid and nervous around others that we fear there is a 50/50 chance that another cat in her space may just about tip her over the edge!!

I would really REALLY appreciate any experience, insight you could offer as a possible explaination to this behaviour. It's been going on for 2 months now and is baffling.

Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing from you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Until now that is - every evening when we get home, she spends hours (and I mean HOURS) walking around the kithcen, sitting room, up and down to the windows, staring at the ceiling or the wall, constantly miaowing in a very 'needy' cry.

Any chance you have mice? My cat was doing this when we moved into our new place - I thought she was going bonkers or had gotten a bang on the head or was developing ADHD :rolleyes:. But it turned out that the house had mice and she could hear them about their business on the other side of the wall.

Just thought I'd throw it out there because you might be needlessly worrying about your cat. But, then again, now you have to worry that you have mice, or god forbid RATS *shudder* :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

No, definately no mice, it's not a stationary spot she stars at miaowing but rather aimlessly wandering all over the place while doing it. She can be quite insitant too - will look you square in the eyes and miaow / whine / cry then walk off.

I need a cat whisperer or the equivalent to help. I can't figure her out at all at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Plek Trum wrote: »
    No, definately no mice, it's not a stationary spot she stars at miaowing but rather aimlessly wandering all over the place while doing it. She can be quite insitant too - will look you square in the eyes and miaow / whine / cry then walk off.

I need a cat whisperer or the equivalent to help. I can't figure her out at all at the moment!

Not quite a cat whisperer but a behaviourist. http://www.petproblems.net/ I'v talked to her through email before about my cat and she's very helpful, I'd highly recommend her. Thats providing there's nothing medically wrong with her, maybe a trip to the vet just to be sure? What age is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Would you consider an older quiet cat as a companion? If you call around rescues you can probably find one that has been around other cats and is of a quiet and gentle nature, and adult cats wouldn't be as quickly adopted either.

We had 2 cats for nearly 8 years and one died suddenly, the one that is left was the shy and quiet one, very nervous, we had arranged to get a puppy that same week and picked him up the same day our cat passed away.
    They cat and dog love each other, they got on instantly, and while the cat was a little down at first, when the pup was up and around the cat went with him. Gradually they began to play and even slept on the sofa together.

A few months later we got another cat, an adult that was used to other cats and dogs, he was very friendly and is a lovely (if slightly mad) cat, but it took longer for the cats to become friends.
    We then got another pup a few more months on, and the cats and dog love her, so now they are all friends.

The strange thing is the cat has really come out of himself, he's not as nervous and comes up to people when the come into the house, he even comes out walking with the dogs (and other cat) sometimes, he's changed so much.

Sorry for long post, but the moral is that animals can surprise you, I was terrified the cat would freak at the new dog, he coped so well we got more pets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sweetskye

I think she might be missing Billy. We lost one of our 2 cats and the one
    left was looking for his brother behind the curtains, under the sofa... We then adopted 2 other cats and Scamp's been back to his normal since
    It was a very sad time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I've just rescued a little black kitten yesterday from my dogs in my back garden its a stray and is only 6/7 weeks old. I don't know if a new kitten will be the way you end up going to help your kitty but will you keep this little lady in mind if you do? I want to get it a good home with people who are experienced cat owners as she's a little fearful and will hiss and sometimes spit at you but doesn't bite or scratch and within seconds of getting a rub is a purring ball of love, I think if someone can give her the time she'll be a great little cat. My dog isn't especially fond of the kitten (and I think the feeling is mutual:rolleyes:) so I'm trying my best to get a home for her. I took her to the vet today to get her checked out and all she needed was a wormer so she is in good health. Best of luck with getting your cat back to it's normal happy self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks so much for all your helpful replies as always - I'd be in the dark without this forum at times!

We're going to get a full health check up done at the vets early next week to definately rule out anything medical. After that I'll get onto www.petproblems.net - HUGE thanks for that link, will prove very valuable I'm thinking ;)

An older or similar cat would be great to a degree but its a mega gamble and I would hate to bring a new cat home and upset her further. Plus there has been changes at work (like everyone) and the expense of a second cat would be a bit of a stretch at the minute. But if thats what it takes, we'll manage I'm sure!

Thanks everyone - I'll update as things progress, x

Advertisement