Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s18 U20 trainees

Options
  • 30-11-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

So whats the general consensus on the amount of stars to use when recruiting potential S18 U20 legends?

I'm thinking that 50 stars for the first 3/4 weeks might be best. not put all eggs in 1 basket...but still use a good number of stars to get (hopefully) a decent player or 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

daheff wrote: »
    So whats the general consensus on the amount of stars to use when recruiting potential S18 U20 legends?

I'm thinking that 50 stars for the first 3/4 weeks might be best. not put all eggs in 1 basket...but still use a good number of stars to get (hopefully) a decent player or 2

Yup, was going to something similar myself. A few 40-50 star recruits, one of them should turn out to be trainable/sellable for training. NOt going to waste all stars on 1 fella again. (The irony being I have 2 in the S16 UTP. One cost 80 stars, the other 16. both about the same level really.)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

i either going to scout 3 40-40-50 star players or 4 35 star players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Just posted on the offsite about this. I'll have about 240 stars to play with and should have two free slots for trainees come S15.

I'm thinking 120/120, 200/40 or a 140/50/50 split.

id go with third option if i were you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

seanand wrote: »
    id go with third option if i were you

It's what I'm leaning towards, but a part of me wants to gamble on one really big pull as a fourth option :o

• Advertisement

mar-z wrote: »
    It's what I'm leaning towards, but a part of me wants to gamble on one really big pull as a fourth option :o
    alot are people are going for many pulls over big ones this season so if you have the finances to buy in one it wouldnt be the biggest gamble. i dont have the finances to buy in one so thats one of the main reasons im going for mass pulling(2locks, hooker and back hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Again, I've been told by an admin that pulls beyond 20 stars are inefficient - haven't checked that out though.

As an aside, who ever is currently looking over the U-20s might have a look at 18 yo Alec Bone, on my squad, currently getting 8 L4/L5 sessions. Probably not good enough but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'm hoping that at some point in the near future I pull a lock. Mine are sh*te beyong belief! Defo my weakest position! It'd be great if I could turn him internnational beast too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Pulled this guy today, worth training or should i sell him on? have another 2 youths to pull over next week or so but not sure if as good as him

Tadhg MacCasey
    17 years old | 21,064 CSR

Weight 98kg
    Height 189cm
    Joined 5 Dec 2011 11:41am
    Birthday Round 15, Day 6

Right handed, right footed, in satisfactory form .
    A collected player with controlled discipline, limited leadership, and non-existent experience.
    Energy: Perfect %
    Stamina: 6 Handling: 7
    Attack: 6 Defense: 8
    Technique: 10 Strength: 11
    Jumping: 5 Speed: 7
    Agility: 4 Kicking: 3

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.php#player=11132837

Trippie wrote: »
    Pulled this guy today, worth training or should i sell him on? have another 2 youths to pull over next week or so but not sure if as good as him

you could turn him into a fine centre for your club but he has no chance of making the u20s as he is too young to make the season 16 world cup squad and too old to make the season 18.

a player needs to be scouted in the first few weeks of season 14 to be eligible for the s18 world cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

thinking of promoting my heaviest and tallest players, and scouting with 50 stars each.. see what i come up with!

forwards are what i wana work on, (locks for sure!) which ever comes out looking like a superstar will be the one getting the 10 sessions.. heres hoping i get a decent guy!

Regarding what you get for who you promote, how does that work???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I think you tend to get players with either a forward or backs physique so that you have a constant number of forwards and backs in the youth squad

Zagato wrote: »
    I think you tend to get players with either a forward or backs physique so that you have a constant number of forwards and backs in the youth squad

im fully on board that in a squad theres 3props,2 hookers, 3 locks and four bckrow players. 3 half backs, 3 centres and 4 outside backs.

i have a spreadsheet made out and i have all the forwards made out. but the backs are harder

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

My thinking on this, is that anyone that is going to have more than 75 stars by round 3 should split it evenly into 3 pulls on:
    • Monday round 2
    • Tuesday round 2
    • Tuesday round 3
    Anything later misses a lot of training.

As regards the comment about 20+ being inefficient, my opinion is that it does become very inefficient after 30.
    The fact is that each star used does increase the chance of a better player.
    Getting lucky or unlucky with 30 stars or 50 stars is pretty much the same result, but 50 has a better chance of luck.
    However,It makes no difference to the untrainables.

As regards the "like for like" thing, this is correct, the YA has 3 props 2 hookers 3 locks etc.when one is promoted, the same position is scouted, the problem is that very often a player that is indeed intended to be a prop, may be lighter than 105kg, or a lock may often be smaller than 190cm. skill distributions may not even fit closely with your idea of what it should be for the position, and can also be further distorted by IGT gained out of position and weekly training before promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Mouseonfire is on to me to sell a 2nd row prospect for the s18 20s, and keeps asking me how much i want to sell him for as he has someone to buy him. I want to get as much as i can for him but how much is he worth?
    http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.youth.

depending on csr hel go for 200k-400k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

the guy I had planned on being my second row.

122kg
    Height 202cm
    Joined 10 Feb 2012 4:05am
    Birthday Round 9, Day 5

Jersey
    Left handed, right footed, in satisfactory form .
    A conservative player with collected discipline, moderate leadership, and non-existent experience.
    Energy: Pumped %
    Stamina: Decent Handling: Moderate
    Attack: Reputable Defense: Decent
    Technique: Reputable Strength: Admirable
    Jumping: Reputable Speed: Moderate
    Agility: Moderate Kicking: Despicable

Advertisement