Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating an Acekard 2i to work with DSi Firmware 1.4.1E

• 30-11-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I went through the process of getting Acekard 2i's for my kids a couple of years ago and I have to say they've been brilliant. I invested the time and sussed out how to load the AKAIO software and even the Moonshell software for running movies etc. The cards were runnin on an original DS Lite and a DSi with an early version firmware. That was 2 years ago though!!

Now my youngest has almost killed the DS Lite so it's time for Santa to get her a DSi. I've tried running the Acekard 21 from the DS Lite in the new DSi but it's returning an error which I'm guessing is related to the fact that the new DSi is running Firmware 1.4.1E.

I've been on the Acekard website and downloaded an NDS file called ak2ifw_update_141_DSi.nds but I'm not sure how to use it. I've a feeling I install it on the SDHC card, put the card into the DS Lite and then run the NDS file which somehow converts or prepares the card for use with firmware 1.4.1E. Is this correct or am I off on a sill tangent all together?

Man I can't wait until the kids are old enough to do this stuff themselves!!!

Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

BenEadir wrote: »
    Man I can't wait until the kids are old enough to do this stuff themselves!!!

But that's the whole fun of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

EnterNow wrote: »
    But that's the whole fun of it :D

That may well be true but right now I'm struggling to get this card to work in the DSi Santa is bringing so it doesn't feel much like fun :o

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

BenEadir,,

Thanks very much for starting this thread...

I have just ordered an AceKard 2i to replace a non-use R4 for a DSi,,and I have all of what you done now to look forward to,although I don't have a clue even where to begin.

You have got some answers to what I wanted to ask without being in danger of getting a spanking from the Mods.

Thanks again.

SexyGuy wrote: »
    BenEadir,,

Thanks very much for starting this thread...

I have just ordered an AceKard 2i to replace a non-use R4 for a DSi,,and I have all of what you done now to look forward to,although I don't have a clue even where to begin.

You have got some answers to what I wanted to ask without being in danger of getting a spanking from the Mods.

Thanks again..

No worries SG (can't bring myself to call another bloke "SexyGuy"), I asked ton's of questions a couple of years ago and got help then so if I can be of some help to others now I'm more than happy. Isn't that what Boards is all about???

Here's a link to everything you need to know about setting up and managing Acekard's http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO#Features

You download the SD formatting software, AKAIO software (which runs the games) and the Moonshell software (which allows you to load movies and music onto the card and turn it into an entertainment 'jukebox' for your kids) all from here http://www.acekard.com/download.php

If you can get yourself an 8GB SDHC memory card (or 16GB if you're feeling flush) you can really put a lot of entertainment into the DSi. My kids use it for the annual trip to France which involves an 18 hour ferry and a 10 hour drive. With 15 movies, 20 music CD's and over 100 games on each DSi (plus headphones for each) they're entertained the whole way. No row's, no "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" and plenty of peace and quiet for me and the missus to listen to our music or chat etc.

The basic drill for setting up your Acekard 2i is as follows:-

1. Get yourself as big an SDHC memory card as you can. 8gb cards are as low as UK£6 on this site http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC

2. Make sure you have a USB card reader for the SDHC card so you can plug it into your PC/Laptop. Something like this http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Memory-Card-Readers/Fuji/Fujifilm-Micro-SD-USB-Card-Reader or buy an SDHC card which comes with a free USB card reader like this http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/Transcend/Transcend-8GB-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Card-Class-2-%2B-USB-Card-Reader

3. Format the new SDHC card using the formatting software in the wiki page I linked to above or from the bottom of this Panasonic page https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

4. Download the latest AKAIO software from the download link above. Decompress (using WinZIP, WinRAR, 7z, etc) the file and (this is the critical bit) copy and paste the __aio* folder and akmenu4.nds file straight onto the micro SD Card. Don't create any folders to put them in or anything like that. Just drop them straight onto the empty Micro SD card.

5. With your Micro SD card still inserted into a USB slot on your PC/laptop download and run the Moonshell software from the download page. This will install Moonshell correctly on the Micro SD card.

6. Create new folders on the Micro SD card called "Games", "Movies" and "Music"

7. Drag and Drop (cough cough) any "backed up" games files you have (they're called NDS files) and put them in the Games folder.

8. Drag and Drop any MP3 music files you want to listen to into your Music folder.

9. Movies aren't quite so straightforward. The only format Moonshell will play is a highly compressed format called DPG so you need to convert any movies you have into that format before dragging and dropping them into the movies folder. Most people use a free program called BatchDPG to convert movies into DPG format. Here's a link to a video and explanation of how to use BatchDPG and a link to a download. I can't vouch for the download link so proceed with caution. If the link doesn't work just search around for other download links for the latest version of BatchDPG. There are lot's of people hosting it. http://acemanonline.wordpress.com/2008/03/06/new-batchdpg-released/

If you have any problems figuring out any of the above get onto youtube and type in "AKAIO on Acekard" or "Installing Moonshell on Acekard" etc. There are ton't of people uploading tutorials etc. This video is pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE1G4D8iPaQ

As with everything in life, tread carefully. If it doesn't make sense or you have concerns - STOP!!

Enjoy.

Ben

7. Drag and Drop (cough cough) any "backed up" games files you have (they're called NDS files) and put them in the Games folder.

Kinda contravenes this doesn't it?
    DO NOT POST ANYTHING IN RELATION TO BACKING UP/RIPPING GAMES. THIS INCLUDES WHERE/HOW OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION RELATED TO DOWNLOADING GAMES
    DO NOT LINK TO SITES THAT HAVE INFORMATION ON THE ABOVE.
    DO NOT DISCUSS HOW TO RUN PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE ILLEGALLY - THIS INCLUDES LOADERS/FLASH CARDS/MODIFIED CODE ETC
    DO NOT POST, LINK TO, OR OTHERWISE DIVULGE PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE KEYS. THIS INCLUDES ENCRYPTION, DECRYPTION, SIGNING, PUBLIC OR PRIVATE KEYS.

Bear it in mind ,as these threads usually degenerate into how to run roms.

• Advertisement

Jaesus....

Thanks very much Ben...

Enough information there to keep Me going to next easter I'd say...

I did order a memory card with it,,but I only got the 4gb one...All he had was a 2gb,,so I thought I was doing a lot better. So,while he will put a bit of music on it,I'll hold off on the movies,,until I get him a bigger memory card.

I still have the R4 card...Can I just take games from that and move them over to the AceKard when I get it,,and get all the stuff downloaded onto it?

Thanks again for everything....Be lost without this information...

SG.....

EnterNow wrote: »
    Kinda contravenes this doesn't it?

Bear it in mind ,as these threads usually degenerate into how to run roms.

I respect the forum rules Mod, always have. Just trying to give a nudge in the right direction without stepping over the line. Apologies if I sailed a bit close to the wind.

Ben

I respect the forum rules Mod, always have. Just trying to give a nudge in the right direction without stepping over the line. Apologies if I sailed a bit close to the wind.

Ben

Once the conversation is within the bounds of the above charter quote, then everyone's happy. Unfortunately with flash carts, the line between acceptable & not gets very blurred.

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Can I just take games from that and move them over to the AceKard when I get it,,and get all the stuff domwloaded onto it?
    Yes, you can move any homebrew NDS files from your old card to the new card and the new AKAIO software should run them.

Ben

Fantastic....

Thanks again Ben.....

I'll rest the subject here,as I don't want you,or anyone else to be getting into trouble over it..

I'll keep you posted on how I get on though.

Thanks again..

SG....

• Advertisement

Jaesus.....

I can't get this card up and running at all....

Been at it all day now,,and I'm nearly tearing My hair out from it....Just as well I have plenty,,for now...

Been onto youtube for hours,,and I still can't get it to work...

It does start up in the console....It reads the akaio Release 1.8.9 And it's running the DORASU (Red Bow).

When I go into it,,I can see the SD card,which I select...And I can see all My folders...Games...Movies..Music....But after sending over some games to the SD card from an older R4 card....I can't see any games in the Games folder........I did see one game earlier,but when I tried to play it,,all that came up was Binary Viewer...With nothing but numbers on the screen...

Any idea where I'm going wrong guys??

Feckin Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... :mad:

UPDATE.....

Ok....I got this sorted....I was after swapping over the SAV file games,,instead of the NDS....Feckin DOH!! like...

Now I have to go back into the SD card,,and add the moonshell..And try a movie...

Advertisement