Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State agency customer charter

Options
  • 30-11-2011 2:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if state/semi-state agencies are obligated to have a customer charter, or is it just a recommendation? Is there a statutory instrument in relation to this?
    Most seem to have a plan of how they will deal with customers and what you should expect from them and a management plan in dealing with complaints etc.
    However I've come across one that does not have a customer charter and is not dealing with my complaint in a timely manner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Does a state agency have customers? If you're talking about an agency like the Dept of Social Welfare, or the HSE, then you are not a customer or a consumer. You are a citizen of the state, and entitled to services from these agencies. Each agency is ultimately the responsibility of the minister in charge of that agency, or also by any regulatory body that exists (like HIQA).

If you refer to a state owned company, then you can be a customer, and they would be bound by the same laws as any other company. Issues are "regulated" as such by the National Consumer Agency.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Most local authorities have customer service action plans like Carlow, the HSE have a customer service strategy, even AGS have a customer charter.

My query is are these agencies obligated to provide this information to me as to how they will interact with me and what my expectations should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Tow

jor el wrote: »
    Does a state agency have customers?

Yes your are a customer. eg. http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/custservice/standards.html

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They may call you a customer, but you're not. State agencies do not have customers, they have citizens. The Revenue Commission or An Garda Síochána certainly do not have customers.

It is a great disservice to treat people like they are customers of a business, when a state agency is not a business. Your rights as a citizen of the state are far superior to those as a customer of a business. They may have "customer service" desks, and a "customer service" plan, but that does not make you a customer. You should not put up with being treated like one either.

Do not let them treat you like a customer, and whatever your complaint is don't deal with it as if it were a customer/consumer issue. Whether they have to outline how you deal with them, or what the procedures are, is for the government department that runs each one to decide. It would not and should not be treated in the same way as a business dealing with a customer, nor would any consumer protection or law apply in your case.

Advertisement