Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Problem

Options
  • 30-11-2011 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I paid a deposit to a landlord for a room intending on moving in, in a weeks time. I paid the depoist two weeks ago. However, I recieved a phonecall on monday offering me a better job in a different county and I took it so I am moving there instead.

Is the landlord entitled to keep me deposit? I gave 9 days notice. The residence is not listed on the PTRB website and I have a reciept.

I really need the money to pay a deposit for a house in the other county.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

turkey46 wrote: »
    I paid a deposit to a landlord for a room intending on moving in, in a weeks time. I paid the depoist two weeks ago. However, I recieved a phonecall on monday offering me a better job in a different county and I took it so I am moving there instead.

Is the landlord entitled to keep me deposit? I gave 9 days notice. The residence is not listed on the PTRB website and I have a reciept.

I really need the money to pay a deposit for a house in the other county.

Eh tough luck.

1) You cant register a tennancy that hasnt started so you have no argument abotu the tennancy not being registered.

2) The landlord has lost two weeks potential rent why shoudl he be out of pocket because you changed your mind ?

3) The landlord is likely to be out advertising costs and he will have to readvertise.

I have no sympathy for you as much as tennants get messed around, there needs to be equal support for landlords when they get messed around.

lets used you new job to look at it another way.

You have taken this new job, would you say its fair if you arrive on the day your to begin having not signed a contract for them to tell you eh sorry we changed our mind.

I mean this would have caused you to miss out on another job by taking it before they changed their mind. Do you think there should be no recourse and you should have to suck it up ?

No exactly. So why should the landlord in his situation have to do so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 turkey46

D3PO wrote: »
    Eh tough luck.

1) You cant register a tennancy that hasnt started so you have no argument abotu the tennancy not being registered.

2) The landlord has lost two weeks potential rent why shoudl he be out of pocket because you changed your mind ?

3) The landlord is likely to be out advertising costs and he will have to readvertise.

I have no sympathy for you as much as tennants get messed around, there needs to be equal support for landlords when they get messed around.

lets used you new job to look at it another way.

You have taken this new job, would you say its fair if you arrive on the day your to begin having not signed a contract for them to tell you eh sorry we changed our mind.

I mean this would have caused you to miss out on another job by taking it before they changed their mind. Do you think there should be no recourse and you should have to suck it up ?

No exactly. So why should the landlord in his situation have to do so ?

1) The house is full at the moment and the room wont be available until that date next week. Only one person is leaving so it would be registered for the other tenants.

2) They have lost out on no money as the room is not available yet.

3) They are not out advertising cost as the property is only on daft as a standard ad.

I am not messing around the landlord. I gave 9 days notice and I am trying to find a replacement for them.

Comparing this situation to that of a job is wrong. They are too completely different situations.

Plus, your attitude sucks, I'm looking for advice not not your stuck up attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

turkey46 wrote: »
    1) The house is full at the moment and the room wont be available until that date next week. Only one person is leaving so it would be registered for the other tenants.

Wrong. If the house is being rented by room then there is no obligation to register with the PRTB.

2) They have lost out on no money as the room is not available yet.

No but they have lost out on the potential by having two weeks less to find a replacement tennant

3) They are not out advertising cost as the property is only on daft as a standard ad.

You cant possibly know if they are out advertising costs maye they advertised in a newspaper etc. the fact is you cannto be sure of this

I am not messing around the landlord. I gave 9 days notice and I am trying to find a replacement for them.

you are messing them around

Comparing this situation to that of a job is wrong. They are too completely different situations.

how is it wrong. yes a different situation but the premise is the same. In that situaiton you would have recourse however in your situation you dont feel it fair the landlord have recourse.

Plus, your attitude sucks, I'm looking for advice not not your stuck up attitude

Doesnt sound like your looking for advise it sounds like your looking for a way to mess about the landlord.

Just becasue I have no sympathy for you doesnt make me stuck up. I do think your irresponsible however and hope you learn a lesson from this.

Advertisement