Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to X-Box Live

Options
  • 30-11-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Hey Gang, my son has requested from santa an xbox for xmas, so we've got the box, a few games, extra controller, I'm not overly tech savvy but not too bad either, so I've registered him an avatar etc on x-box.com, and I'm guessing I'll use the actual xbox itself to log in using the same details when christmas comes, I'll be connecting it via wi-fi which I've read is straight forward enough, I'm guessing then next item is an x-box live membership and some points too, any advice on where to get them, and most importantly any security considerations to consider regards what he can or cant do online, any help greatly appreciated, I will also be using it occassionally too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

There are a few out there, but I generally have been getting mine from
    www.cheapxboxlivecodes.com

Link here to thread here... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69396155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Well first of all don't register your credit card on xbox. It'll stay on the account which means your son only has to go in and buy points freely using your card.

Buy one of the 12 month cards.

I've been told that this site is decent, http://www.live-codes.com/products.php?con=Xbox

You can also buy points cards separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Make sure your kid knows what's good talk and bad talk! Unfortunately there's a lot of people on there that are complete A-holes, if they hear a kid they will tear them apart. Make sure he knows never to say where he lives, or give his full name. Well that's what I'd do if I was a parent. I wouldn't not let them play online but educate on what's acceptable and just because some are mean, it doesn't mean he can be.

Yes, good point Wompa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Also there's an option called "parental control" on the system. Be sure to familiarise yourself with it.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/how-to/parental-control

I'm not sure if it permanently mutes the mic, but you can do that if you don't want your son hearing a load of effing and blinding from idiots online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

At present he likes to play fifa 11 online on his wii which has no communication, not too keen on him being able to use voice talk online, will allow it with his cousins if I can get them online, thanks for the heads up re credit card on the account, I'll have a look regards the codes, I've not opened the box either, do the controllers come with batteries, sorry for being a complete ass, just want to make sure I have all the bits i need

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

BobMc wrote: »
    At present he likes to play fifa 11 online on his wii which has no communication, not too keen on him being able to use voice talk online, will allow it with his cousins if I can get them online, thanks for the heads up re credit card on the account, I'll have a look regards the codes, I've not opened the box either, do the controllers come with batteries, sorry for being a complete ass, just want to make sure I have all the bits i need
    I would agree with using prepaid XBox Live codes for membership and Microsoft Points (the 'currency' used to buy things). It would prevent any unexpected purchases or automatic renewals appearing on your credit card.

Also, using the Parental control settings is a great idea - it is important to protect him when he's online as much as anything else. You can change settings like he can play online, can chat online with his friends and send / receive messages from them, but cannot hear or chat with people he doesn't know. Also you can set up that you can approve any friend requests that come in, so you'd know who he is playing with (much the same way you'd suss out the kids in the neighbourhood before letting him out to play on the street, or in the estate).

Some of the main reasons for this is that there can be some salty language in some games, there can be some people who will try to trick people out of their usernames and passwords by promising them more 'gamerscore' - but the goal just rip off their account, and younger kids aren't aware of that until their account is 'hacked' and loads of charges added to their parents Credit Card. And then, there's .... UNO. :eek:

On the whole, though, the XBox and XBox live are absolutely brilliant. There are lots of great games and loads of fun to be had playing games online. I hope he enjoys it - and I'm sure you'll have the craic, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

BobMc wrote: »
    do the controllers come with batteries, sorry for being a complete ass, just want to make sure I have all the bits i need

Yeah, I think they come with batteries but you would be better of buying a Play & Charge kit. These are inexpensive and pay for themselves with the savings on batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

punk77 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they come with batteries but you would be better of buying a Play & Charge kit. These are inexpensive and pay for themselves with the savings on batteries.

Agree totally here, you get batteries with the system but the play and charge is perfect and saves you a small fortune on batteries (also saves you the headache of him coming to you for new batteries all the time ;) )

I am not sure about the parental control settings but you can change the settings on the console to mute the voice sounds online (voice meaning other gamers voices and not the game in any way) you get some amount of knobs shouting crap online

Also as mentioned by another poster there people might look to access his account, so if i were you i would keep the password away from him, just so that way he does not get conned.

We are probably scaring you with all these warnings but generally there is not many problems on live and he will love it :D

no not scaring me away at all, rather be alert to potential scams and keep him safe, I think I'm as excited as him, will buy a 12month this week, I presume once activated it commences, I've gone thru some of the privacy settings too on xbox.com, so hopefully all will be good, all the suggestions appreciated, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I applaud your interest and concern in this situation OP, not a lot of parents of xbl kids are as conscientious.

you don't need to buy any xbl vouchers yet. new accounts set up on the xbox get a free month of xbl gold, this will see himself up to the tail end of January before it costs you any more money

theteal wrote: »
    you don't need to buy any xbl vouchers yet. new accounts set up on the xbox get a free month of xbl gold

When did that start?
    I signed my two boys up a couple of months ago and there was no mention of the free one month Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

kleefarr wrote: »
    When did that start?
    I signed my two boys up a couple of months ago and there was no mention of the free one month Gold.

always has been, I set up a new account the other month just to see the American dashboard features and again got my free month with that. it must have been done 4 times on my console at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If you set the user account up on XBox.com, then you won't get the free month. If you set it up on the XBox, then the first four new accounts will be offered a free month.

To the OP, the 12 months of XBox gold will run for 12 months from the day you redeem the prepaid code - if the XBox is to come from Mr. S. Claus and you had redeemed the code today, then it would have missed out on 24 days of December when you haven't been able to use it. Just a little tip to help get the most of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

As per others but here it is..

1/ use pre paid cards for either gold membership or points. Adding a credit card is bad news IMO. Even had a freind who's card changed and xbox cycled through exp dates to 'find' it. It automatically added another 12 months and you can never remove it.

2/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuFV3cqpnFk vids like this are a good help as to navigating the parental controls section.

3/ Try to educate son (depending on age) on -

a)hacking. you will get caught and when you do either the profile OR the xbox will be banned for life (no appeals and no go backs) any poins or money will be lost. not great. your also left with a box that will only ever play games locally and can never be connected to live again.

b) privacy. dont give away personal info. dont attempt to purchase level 100 from touts.

c) talking - there is loads to hear. not all good. monitor and restrict headsets in adult games.

Lantus wrote: »
    As per others but here it is..

1/ use pre paid cards for either gold membership or points. Adding a credit card is bad news IMO. Even had a freind who's card changed and xbox cycled through exp dates to 'find' it. It automatically added another 12 months and you can never remove it.

2/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuFV3cqpnFk vids like this are a good help as to navigating the parental controls section.

3/ Try to educate son (depending on age) on -

a)hacking. you will get caught and when you do either the profile OR the xbox will be banned for life (no appeals and no go backs) any poins or money will be lost. not great. your also left with a box that will only ever play games locally and can never be connected to live again.

b) privacy. dont give away personal info. dont attempt to purchase level 100 from touts.

c) talking - there is loads to hear. not all good. monitor and restrict headsets in adult games.

thats a very handy hint video, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

12 months membership with 800 MS Points in Argos for 50 euro. Cheapest I have seen it except for the online codes. I got it last year before christmas for 45.

Advertisement