Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rte transmitters

Options
  • 30-11-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I notice that RTE is going to turn off terrestrial broadcasting in the near future.
    Can I hope that the mast that they broadcast from will be snapped up (and put to use) by Vodafone or similar?
    (It is really close by to my house in a rural area)
    I am thinking in terms of broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

geordief wrote: »
    I notice that RTE is going to turn off terrestrial broadcasting in the near future.
    Can I hope that the mast that they broadcast from will be snapped up (and put to use) by Vodafone or similar?
    (It is really close by to my house in a rural area)
    I am thinking in terms of broadband.

That's not true they are switching off analogue transmissions at the end of October next year have a look at saorview.ie or pop over to the terrestrial from on boards for more info. Also check siteviewer on com reg site there may already be one of the mobile operators using that mast or one near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

well I feel like one of those 2 dimensional creatures living in a 3D world.
    For me October next is the near future.:o
    I did check siteview and Three is quite close by. But the RTE mast is much better from my vantage point and I wonder what will become of it when terrestrial TV ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

well I feel like one of those 2 dimensional creatures living in a 3D world.
    For me October next is the near future.:o
    I did check siteview and Three is quite close by. But the RTE mast is much better from my vantage point and I wonder what will become of it when terrestrial TV ends.

Nothing depending on where you are it will still be used for digital tv

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But the RTE mast is much better from my vantage point and I wonder what will become of it when terrestrial TV ends.

Terrestrial TV is not going to end, they are simply changing the way it's broadcast. People without cable or satellite will continue to receive TV (Saorview) via aerials so the masts are going to stay. In fact if you live in the NW you'll be getting a brand new transmitter mast on Truskmore.

The analog VHF/UHF tuners in older TVs will be rendered redundant so people who have TVs that do not include integrated digital tuners will need a set top box to decode the digital signal. These are currrently on sale in Aldi, Lidl and most TV shops.

Currently RTE1/2/TV3/TG4 are each broadcast on a single UHF channel. With digital TV (branded as Saorview here) they can compress all four channels into a single UHF channel so a large slice of the UHF band (spectrum) will be freed up and this will probably be auctioned off by Comreg to mobile and broadband companies.

Advertisement