Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a laptop.

Options
  • 30-11-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Budget: In or around €500

Intended use: College work, internet, basically my college work (I'm in Arts in NUI) and surfing the net; browsing, watching movies, etc...

Mobility: 15.6" screen minimum. Average laptop size. Not looking for anything as small as a notebook, nothing too bulky either. In or around 2.5 kg I suppose.

Warranty: A warranty wouldn't be essential, but they always help. I can easily go about fixing any problems in any laptop repair shops in town. Either or to be honest.

What Operating System do you use? I am used to using a Windows based pc/laptop.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

laptopsdirect.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭davestar

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    laptopsdirect.ie

Thank you. Any recommendations yourself on what laptop to get ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

AVOID Laptops direct. Theres plenty of threads on this site about their awful customer service and after sales support. Their deals aren't even that good anyway.

I recommend www.saveonlaptops.co.uk

But here is a great deal for about €500 delivered off amazon.

Lenovo G570 15.6 inch Notebook - Black (Intel i5 2430M 2.4GHz, RAM 6GB, HDD 750GB, DVDRW, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TPRWN4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Very good spec for the price. Will last you a good few years, and lenovo make very well built laptops.

No dedicated gfx card, but I doubt you need that.

Id go for that deal personally.

Tinie wrote: »
    AVOID Laptops direct. Theres plenty of threads on this site about their awful customer service and after sales support. Their deals aren't even that good anyway.

I recommend www.saveonlaptops.co.uk

But here is a great deal for about €500 delivered off amazon.

Lenovo G570 15.6 inch Notebook - Black (Intel i5 2430M 2.4GHz, RAM 6GB, HDD 750GB, DVDRW, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TPRWN4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Very good spec for the price. Will last you a good few years, and lenovo make very well built laptops.

No dedicated gfx card, but I doubt you need that.

Id go for that deal personally.

Thank you, appreciate all the help I can get. What is a dedicated gfx card ? As you can see, my knowledge on laptops isn't great.

A dedicated graphics card. Unless you will be gaming regularly with modern games and/or doing intense video/photo editing, then you dont need one.

Id imagine that Lenovo is perfect spec for what you need, and its a super price.

• Advertisement

A dedicated graphics card. Unless you will be gaming regularly with modern games and/or doing intense video/photo editing, then you dont need one.

Id imagine that Lenovo is perfect spec for what you need, and its a super price.

Will keep that in mind, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Check out the samsung rv520 on littlewoods.ie can be got for 495 useing a discount code at the checkout.

Marco85 wrote: »
    Check out the samsung rv520 on littlewoods.ie can be got for 495 useing a discount code at the checkout.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gvzAxle

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/20089256/HP_15_6_Pavilion_G6_1150SD_i5_2410M_4GB_500GB/LX300EA_ABH/default.aspx

You won't find many laptops with a 2nd gen i5 and dedicated graphics for €509. They're disappearing fast so you'll have to be quick.

gvzAxle wrote: »
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/20089256/HP_15_6_Pavilion_G6_1150SD_i5_2410M_4GB_500GB/LX300EA_ABH/default.aspx

You won't find many laptops with a 2nd gen i5 and dedicated graphics for €509. They're disappearing fast so you'll have to be quick.[/Quote

Thank you. I was told to stay away from HP though, opinions ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

davestar wrote: »

You won't find many laptops with a 2nd gen i5 and dedicated graphics for €509. They're disappearing fast so you'll have to be quick.[/Quote

I've heard that aswell from a number of people. Apparently they have serious overheating issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

I've heard that aswell from a number of people. Apparently they have serious overheating issues.

I think this was a case a few years ago. But they're pretty solid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

The HD is 5400 RPM, I would upgrade that if I was you when you save up, but otherwise it's a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Best deal I have seen on an i5 is on amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-L750-16Z-Notebook-Bluetooth/dp/tech-data/B005V7QG0K/ref=de_a_smtd

It's only got a 5400 rpm HDD too.
    and integrated graphics where as for an extra €15 for the your HP you get a slightly better dedicated gpu.
    If you don't want to do any gaming on this you might be better off getting integrated graphics as you will have less heat and longer battery life.

As far as HP goes as a brand, I use one of their Elitebooks in work and it's very solid, although it does push out a nice bit of heat. Have no experience with any consumer grade HP's though.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Best deal I have seen on an i5 is on amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-L750-16Z-Notebook-Bluetooth/dp/tech-data/B005V7QG0K/ref=de_a_smtd

It's only got a 5400 rpm HDD too.
    and integrated graphics where as for an extra €15 for the your HP you get a slightly better dedicated gpu.
    If you don't want to do any gaming on this you might be better off getting integrated graphics as you will have less heat and longer battery life.

As far as HP goes as a brand, I use one of their Elitebooks in work and it's very solid, although it does push out a nice bit of heat. Have no experience with any consumer grade HP's though.

Thank you. I'm stuck between these two;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G570-15-6-inch-Notebook/dp/B005TPRWN4/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_1/275-8263264-6156836

Open to other opinions and recommendations.

I thought the budget was €500 now your willing to spend upto €615??
    At that price I'd imagine you could get an i7.

As far as the choice between them two obviously the Toshiba, €125 price difference for no added performance?
    Easy decision :)

I thought the budget was €500 now your willing to spend upto €615??
    At that price I'd imagine you could get an i7.

As far as the choice between them two obviously the Toshiba, €125 price difference for no added performance?
    Easy decision :)

Lenovo was down to around €400 yesterday, must have gone back up.

Ah I think I see the one you were looking at now, £459.99 but that's still €535 so the Toshiba is a nice bit cheaper.
    You could get that HP for cheaper than the Lenovo

Ah I think I see the one you were looking at now, £459.99 but that's still €535 so the Toshiba is a nice bit cheaper.
    You could get that HP for cheaper than the Lenovo
    HP makes awful laptops, with very cheap parts. Avoid HP. Its obviously cheaper than the Lenovo, as HPs laptops are terrible compared to Lenovos in terms of build quality and how long they last.

The lenovo had a 750gb HD and 6gb ram so it was a much better deal than the toshiba.

Anyway, OP, if you would be interested in a 17.3" screen, and dont mind spending some more mone, then I dare anyone to find a better deal than this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TPRVSK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1HBND5VAZMX38TAEJ904&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Lenovo G770 17.3 inch Notebook - Black (Intel Core i5 2430M 2.4GHz, RAM 8GB, HDD 750GB, AMD 6650 2GB GFX CARD, DVDRW, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit) for €675 delivered. Super deal.

i7s are only needed for heavy HD video editing etc. Dont waste money on an i7 if you wont be doing any of that, as you wont use the extra power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rob_Ireland

I have a Toshiba Satellite, about 2 years old now. Slightly lower spec than the one linked.

I use it for exactly what you want to use it for OP, and it works perfectly.

HP makes awful laptops, with very cheap parts. Avoid HP. Its obviously cheaper than the Lenovo, as HPs laptops are terrible compared to Lenovos in terms of build quality and how long they last.

The lenovo had a 750gb HD and 6gb ram so it was a much better deal than the toshiba.

Anyway, OP, if you would be interested in a 17.3" screen, and dont mind spending some more mone, then I dare anyone to find a better deal than this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TPRVSK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1HBND5VAZMX38TAEJ904&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Lenovo G770 17.3 inch Notebook - Black (Intel Core i5 2430M 2.4GHz, RAM 8GB, HDD 750GB, AMD 6650 2GB GFX CARD, DVDRW, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit) for €675 delivered. Super deal.

i7s are only needed for heavy HD video editing etc. Dont waste money on an i7 if you wont be doing any of that, as you wont use the extra power.

Thanks Tinie, a little over what I want to spend though. Also, a 15.6" will do me perfect. Decisions :-( any opinions on whether I should buy now or wait for the sales ?

Well if your in no hurry, then id wait for sales. But there will be a lot of good deals leading up to xmas also.

I got a qoute off dell for a Dell Inspiron 15r (i5 2430m, GT 525m GFX card, 750 gb HD, 4gb RAM, 15.6 inch screen) for €550 delivered approx, so maybe worth keeping an eye on dell.ie as they currently have a sale on.

Well if your in no hurry, then id wait for sales. But there will be a lot of good deals leading up to xmas also.

I got a qoute off dell for a Dell Inspiron 15r (i5 2430m, GT 525m GFX card, 750 gb HD, 4gb RAM, 15.6 inch screen) for €550 delivered approx, so maybe worth keeping an eye on dell.ie as they currently have a sale on.

The Inspiron 15r was what I first had in mind. However, when I went in to a shop in town called 'Laptech' the Sales Assistant advised me to go for the following brands; Samsung, Sony, Toshiba and Lenevo. In terms of Dell he simply said "it depends on how much you want to spend".

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

When u say u got a quote did u phone them up and haggle with them or did u see this offer online?

The Inspiron 15r was what I first had in mind. However, when I went in to a shop in town called 'Laptech' the Sales Assistant advised me to go for the following brands; Samsung, Sony, Toshiba and Lenevo. In terms of Dell he simply said "it depends on how much you want to spend".
    Sony are way overpriced.
    You get good value dell laptops for money, if you haggle with them.
    Marco85 wrote: »
    When u say u got a quote did u phone them up and haggle with them or did u see this offer online?
    I rang them up and haggled with them by saying there is a 15% off voucher out but it only works on the XPS online, so could you give me a 15% off discount on an inspiron 15r and that I was a long time dell customer, and emailed back about an hour later with the deal. You have to complete the order over the phone to get the discount. But beware, this might not work for everyone.

Advertisement