Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers talking and messing in the library

Options
  • 30-11-2011 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

I feel like such an old biddie moaning about this, however!

I was in the library on Tuesday evening and today trying to study in the upstairs work room . On both occasions a large group of teenagers where their. They spent the whole time just talking!

To be fair today's group where whispering but it is still a huge distraction especially when they burst out laughing. They are also eating up there and the sound of crisp and biscuit packets is annoying. Then they trapes in and out to chat to friends and have smokes.

Last nights group where awful, they were rolling cigarettes on the tables, had their feet up on the seats, I actually asked one group to leave as a boy and a girl were wrestling around trying to put lipstick on each other.

My understanding of a study room in a library is that it should be silent. Maybe Im wrong and some whispering is aloud??

I brought it to the librarians attention last night and she very nicely had a word to them about being quiet. But it fell on deaf ears :(

I have exams for the next two weeks and will definitely not be able to get work done if the library stays like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

No you are not wrong, I think you should be able to use this room for study without any distracting noise within reason. I am glad you mentioned it to the library staff and really they should supervise the room regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Might be worth escalating your complaint to the County Librarian if you are getting nowhere within the library itself. Contact details here :
    http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Libraries/Contacts.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Thanks guys, Its just so frustrating! The room is perfect to work away in early in the day before the school kids come in but once they arrive most of the college and adult learners just leave.
    There are a couple of quiet ones obviously and it must be annoying for them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Say it to them - that this is a library and could they stay quiet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I did say it to one group of them yesterday when they where wrestling trying to put lipstick on each others faces. They stopped messing and left for a few minutes but came back and resumed talking and laughing for the rest of the night.
    The librarian also came around twice and asked them to be quiet. She told them there had been a number of complaints about noise. Nearing closing time she came up again and gave out to one of them for something she saw them do on cctv. I dont know what that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Imadub

eilo1 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, Its just so frustrating! The room is perfect to work away in early in the day before the school kids come in but once they arrive most of the college and adult learners just leave.
    There are a couple of quiet ones obviously and it must be annoying for them also.

Don't know why the school kids are in there, sure the junior and leaving certs are not for 6 months:confused: Surely a week before is time enough to start studying:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I used to go to the library to do work, I'm a leaving cert student. The reason I stopped is because these noisy groups forced the library to significantly reduce the number of desks in the place. Can't get a seat now. People should really take it as a privilege and not for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The Stillorgan Library was recently revamped: reducing the number of desks, placing most of them right beside the librarians and leaving only a few solo desks scattered around the library - its much quieter now. The library is also much more open plan, so any noise or disturbance is rapidly noticed and addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I believe it's not just teenagers not behaving as you would expect in a Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

I don't use the library to study, I only go there on Saturday mornings with the kids.
    But this sounds like real nonsense, Can the library not just give them one chance and then say that's it and refuse them admission??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Huntthe wrote: »
    I believe it's not just teenagers not behaving as you would expect in a Library.

what do you mean?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Some parents using it as a meeting place for a chin wag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Huntthe wrote: »

True too, people in general can be very ignorant when talking loudly in the library, some libraries have a kids' play area, some libraries have computer classes on, again all of these things can create considerable noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

hello,

my thoughts..

Is there much signage in the library?

I joined a while back but do new members have to sign anything about respecting other library users etc?

Do you think the furniture upstairs lend itself to a social chat or a study environment?

Does the library have a policy on disruptive visitors to the library?
    Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
    http://www.clpgh.org/usingthelibrary/policies/appropriatebehavior.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

What school uniforms were they in?

Call the school, tell them that they are being disruptive.

Say to the kids that one more outburst and you'll be in touch with the school.

I've found that if there's a possible threat of trouble in school (and therefore by implication home), that there's a higher rate of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I agree. Both schoolkids (primary and secondary) and adults can be fairly disruptive in there. Primary kids come in and talk to eachother about their homework (how much work can they have??) Secondary kids have been talked about at length here. Adults also seem to think of it as a meeting place for a chat. The study desks are great and are really well laid out and I do like the chairs by the windows for a sit down and look out at the sea. I think perhaps more study desks could be added at the expense of some of these chairs however. Also more signage is definitely needed to enforce quiet in the room. There's nothing to say that people should be quiet or not (despite a bit of cop on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gerard way mageesac

hey i go to greystones library and i was there the other day and there was people talking but only about study not messing and there are aloud go out for smokes
    and toliet breaks it is aloud you cant stop that unfortunatly and for the comment that said leaving cert students should study a week before the exams is the most stupid thing i have ever heard if a leaving cert student studys the week before the exam they will FAIL there exams ! they need to study all year not a week before the exams ! thanks

Update!

Iv been down to the library twice this week and it has been much better. The same group of teenagers have been in but they are being much quieter. :)

I saw the librarian have a word with them again the other day so I think the message has finally hit home!

In response to Gerard the people I was complaining about were not talking about work and they where laughing and speaking loudly continuously for over 2 hours, despite being asked to be quiet by the librarians.
    One group was also play fighting/wrestling trying to put lipstick on each other.
    That is totally unacceptable behaviour when people are trying to study. That night in particular I was studying for a final year exam and I was worried I would fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gerard way mageesac

okay fair enough Eilo but you referred to all the teenagers and half of them werent talking and i am a teenager who goes library and i do not talk and i go every day. I am doing my leaving cert at the moment and i dont apprectiate people giving out to other people there. If you have a problem dont do it while others are trying to work take it outside and have abit of respect for the younger generation.

eilo1 wrote: »

You may have missed this post Gerard ^^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SC11

hi was in the library that day and everyday and i saw you give out to two girls not a boy and a girl so get that right. Also there is no rule against rolling cigarettes in library and it doesnt make any noise at all. Also there is no rule against eating and drinking in the library i see many college and adults go in and out with tea and coffee and food from the shops ans also going to have a cigarette. So it is not just the secondary school children. Sixth years have contineous exams during the year like mocks, christmas exams, mid-term exams aswell, so a WEEK before the leaving is not enough time to study for the leaving cert unless you want to fail and do nothing with your life..:p

SC11 wrote: »
    hi was in the library that day and everyday and i saw you give out to two girls not a boy and a girl so get that right. Also there is no rule against rolling cigarettes in library and it doesnt make any noise at all. Also there is no rule against eating and drinking in the library i see many college and adults go in and out with tea and coffee and food from the shops ans also going to have a cigarette. So it is not just the secondary school children. Sixth years have contineous exams during the year like mocks, christmas exams, mid-term exams aswell, so a WEEK before the leaving is not enough time to study for the leaving cert unless you want to fail and do nothing with your life..:p

It was two girls and one boy.

The librarian gave out to people rolling cigarettes because it left mess for her to clean the next day and as such is disrespectful to the library and it users.

This isn't an attack on people of a certain age group but of people who are inconsiderate to fellow library users.

the librarians state that there is to be no speaking in that room. Why do some people think that rule does not apply to them.??

But the boy was orginally called over by the two girls but he didnt start it. And anytime i have seen a cigarette being rolled it has been cleaned up by the person rolling it so whats the problem? it is not disrespectful if they clean it up?! but u do realise people go to the library as study groups to help each learn the work which is alot easier to learn then sitting down and doing it by yourself..it is a public library and there is constant chat going on at the computers so would u not bother complaining about them aswell instead of directing it straight the teenagers as u did say "talking teenagers in the library". and if u cannot deal with abit of noise go to your own room and study or better yet go to the library in your college

But the boy was orginally called over by the two girls but he didnt start it.

Thats irrelevant,
    And anytime i have seen a cigarette being rolled it has been cleaned up by the person rolling it so whats the problem? it is not disrespectful if they clean it up?!
    Why do you think the librarian is asking people not to roll cigarettes in the library then? She said to the people rolling cigarettes that it leaves a mess that she has to clean up, do you think she is lying?

but u do realise people go to the library as study groups to help each learn the work which is alot easier to learn then sitting down and doing it by yourself..it is a public library and there is constant chat going on at the computers

The librarians have said numerous times that there is to be no talking in that room, why are you trying to come up with reasons when it would be acceptable??

And for your information when ever there has been a lot of talking in that room it has not been about school work.

Also the computers are outside of the study space room so what is your point?? They are also used to teach the public basic computer skills this is a public service we a lucky to have.
    so would u not bother complaining about them aswell instead of directingit straight the teenagers as u did say "talking teenagers in the library". and if u cannot deal with abit of noise go to your own room and study or better yet go to the library in your college

My comments where directed at teenagers because they are the ones causing the problem. The librarian told me there where many complaints about teenagers using that room.
    Your last sentence is rude and shows a lack of respect, but then that is exactly the problem we are discussing so I shouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Imadub wrote: »
    Don't know why the school kids are in there, sure the junior and leaving certs are not for 6 months:confused: Surely a week before is time enough to start studying:o

Look everyone, a bit of humour on the amount of time required to study for your leaving ;)

LC Students, it's called sarcasm :rolleyes:

im not? im just saying alot of noise also comes from the computers aswell. there are others in the library who are adults that make alot of noise aswell so dont direct it at just the teenagers. which u did cause u called the thread: teenagers talking and messing in the library!!! Well i have been going to the library everyday since it opened and there was never a problem until now so your just being fussy. Everyone talks in it so just deal with it and i as i said if u dont like it why dont u just go to ur own college library or go study at home?!

honestly ur making a big deal out of nothing. im trying to go do the library to study and iv been doing fine untill u came into the library and giving out now i cant concentrate cause u seem to be the only one getting up and giving out which is distracting others so plug so headphones in or something and let the rest of us get on with our study

im not? im just saying alot of noise also comes from the computers aswell. there are others in the library who are adults that make alot of noise aswell so dont direct it at just the teenagers. which u did cause u called the thread: teenagers talking and messing in the library!!! Well i have been going to the library everyday since it opened and there was never a problem until now so your just being fussy. Everyone talks in it so just deal with it and i as i said if u dont like it why dont u just go to ur own college library or go study at home?!

I havnt seen any adults causing problems in the library and I have been studying there for 2 years. Durning the day it is lovely and quiet.

There is supposed to be no talking in the library, maybe you should accept that and be quiet while you are there.

The librarians have said there are a lot of complaints about noise so clearly there is problem.

honestly ur making a big deal out of nothing. im trying to go do the library to study and iv been doing fine untill u came into the library and giving out now i cant concentrate cause u seem to be the only one getting up and giving out which is distracting others so plug so headphones in or something and let the rest of us get on with our study

Havnt been in the library since 3pm so clearly there are other people annoyed about noise in there today. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This thread is interesting and you might have some good points but this sort of writing is a serious pain to read. It also makes it difficult for grown-ups to take your points seriously.

For what it's worth, I agree with quite a bit of what you say (rolling being quiet for example) but you really need to write properly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement