Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers talking and messing in the library

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SC11

what has spelling got to do with any of this may i ask?
    excuse me i am quiet while i am there so don't dare accuse me of being the one making the noise in there!!!
    well i highly doubt that people are making noise in there today seeing as my school does have today and tomorrow off? :p :rolleyes:
    I must say that i have actually seen quite a few adults causing problems since i have been studying there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

eilo1 wrote: »
    Update!

Iv been down to the library twice this week and it has been much better. The same group of teenagers have been in but they are being much quieter. :)

I saw the librarian have a word with them again the other day so I think the message has finally hit home!

In response to Gerard the people I was complaining about were not talking about work and they where laughing and speaking loudly continuously for over 2 hours, despite being asked to be quiet by the librarians.
    One group was also play fighting/wrestling trying to put lipstick on each other.
    That is totally unacceptable behaviour when people are trying to study. That night in particular I was studying for a final year exam and I was worried I would fail!

Dont ask me about spelling Im dyslexic anyways! :pac::pac:

Just wondering did you see this post I made earlier in the week before you took offence?

I got the impression you are someone that talks in the library because you posted "everyone talks in the library so get used to it".

The ironic thing is that you are offended at being labelled someone that talks in the library but then you defend this behaviour.

Also some people seem to think that I said ALL teenagers, if you read the title of the thread it says "Teenagers" this is just a description of the people I was complaining about.
    I also stated in another post early on in the thread that there were some quiet teenager there as well. So there is no reason to be offended. There where some St. Gerard's girls there today who where lovely and just working away like most people in there do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gerard way mageesac

alright, youre acting like a spoilt child ? some people can't study at home as they have a horrible home so the library is the only place they can go and for you to be making a deal out of one incident and then getting in childish fights with 2 users? beats me

alright, youre acting like a spoilt child ? some people can't study at home as they have a horrible home so the library is the only place they can go and for you to be making a deal out of one incident and then getting in childish fights with 2 users? beats me

Wow there Gerard, who is that aimed at? I NEVER suggested anybody shouldnt use the library, in fact my whole point has been that the library is for EVERYBODY and as such EVERYBODY down there needs to be respectful of each other so we can all benefit from the great service it provides.

I have never seen anyone throwing paper planes before in the library?
    I have complete respect for the bathroom facilties and so does everyone in the library i would say because it is a privilage to have and i have seen people walking in off the streets to use it aswell and have left it in such a state it was disgusting!
    The "saving of the seats" as you call it is not going off home for hours it is dropping our belongings there so we have a place to study, then we can go to the shop to get a drink and a bite to eat for twenty minutes after nearly seven hours in school and then back to the library and excepted by our principal and teachers to study then for another six hours. So i think a twenty minute break to have something to eat and a drink outside is fair enough to be honest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can everyone please calm down a bit.

Commenting personally (not as a mod). I think it's perfectly fine to leave your seat for 20 minutes or half an hour to get something to eat and I think it's OTT to complain about that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Can everyone please calm down a bit.

Commenting personally (not as a mod). I think it's perfectly fine to leave your seat for 20 minutes or half an hour to get something to eat and I think it's OTT to complain about that.
    I will leave my stuff and run across to Eugenes for a drink etc. But that's not what betty is complaining about. Last summer at ten am there would be a group of people waiting to get into the library. Some school kids would put books on the desk and then leave for hours. You honestly didn't see them again till lunch time. Thats not fair on other users. I did see one woman simply move books and take a desk one day. Bit harsh but the look of shock on the returing person was very funny!

Leaving your stuff for a short while (maybe half an hour) should I think be perfectly acceptable. leaving it for over an hour shouldn't be

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Everyone leaves there stuff there to go across to the shop so its not just the teenagers.
    Also i was told by the librarian that the study room is only for secondary school students and college students to study, that is why it is called a "study room".
    I do agree with mango salsa over an hour leaving your stuff there is unacceptable.
    Well Bettyboop i think it is fine to get a seat and leave your stuff there for 20 minutes aslong as it is not for hours. Students run down to the library after school just to get a seat. But we are doing our leaving cert which is one of the most important things we are going to do if we want to be succesful in life so have abit of respect for those doing their leaving cert and college exams as they are under alot of stress and pressure to do well this year.

Well bettyboop you really do not seem to have any repect for the students because these "changes" will obviously effect all secondary school students going to the library because you cannot point fingers at certain students incase it is not them causing the distruptions so the "head librarian" will obviously have to enforce these changes on all secondary students that use the study room which will not be fair at all on the ones who use it and have respect for it...

• Advertisement

everyone seems to be diagreeing with "eilo1" so maybe she's the one in the wrong? she made her point fair enough. no need to drag it on havin a moan about it

everyone seems to be diagreeing with "eilo1" so maybe she's the one in the wrong? she made her point fair enough. no need to drag it on havin a moan about it

What thread are you reading!?!?! Everybody agrees that talking in the study room is a bad thing. Which is the whole point of the thread. Ironically the two people trying fo argue against the op (me) actually agree with original point! The mind boggals!!!

Hi Gerard

I haven't noticed that myself at all - please don't insult people by suggesting they are moaners

Terry Pratchet

Talking in the study room is not a bad thing i believe that being noisey and talking loudly is a bad thing, but i think whispering is fine and should be allowed and everyone does that so i think not talking all together is abit over the top..

That may be your opinion but thankfully you dont make the rules.

Not everybody talks in the library, there is NO chatting before 3.30 it only begins when the school children come in.

Well there are school children here now and there is no talking...

i agree with SC11

Excellent to hear people are behaving in an appropriation manner in the library!

now do some work! (:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

SC11 wrote: »
    Well there are school children here now and there is no talking...
    And not much studying either, evidently.

Well stop just blaming the school children because there was adults there the other day three of them making alot more noise then the school children :p ..
    Whats wrong with using the computer or reading a book in the library mikedragon32?

• Advertisement

This discussion is just pointless going round in circles at this stage

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement