Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Question

• 30-11-2011 4:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

I have a wireless question / conumdrum.

How come wireless only came out in technology in mid to late nineties yet the Titanic which was built in 1912 sank and broadcasted a "wireless" distress signal.

If wi-fi has been around for nearly 100 years why have we only see it prop up recently.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

For fuck's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

<facepalms>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

wireless was an old term for radio. completely different thing to Wi-Fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Whist will ya! Im trying to listen to the wireless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

marcsignal wrote: »
    wireless was an old term for radio. completely different thing to Wi-Fi

I'm not talking about radio like Joe Duffy type radio
    I'm talking about wireless technology and it's basically the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

You couldn't have had wi-fi until after hi-fi had been and gone.

Top of that iceberg which sank the Titanic would have been a good spot to stick an auld antenna though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Aaahh but the wireless used on the titanic was in black and white.;)

That is the difference OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

El Weirdo wrote: »
    For fuck's sake.

Don't feed the troll. And see the thread about the Galway county councillor who supposedly claimed Connemara would be a perfect place for cloud computing, because it rains there most of the time.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I have a wireless question / conumdrum.

How come wireless only came out in technology in mid to late nineties yet the Titanic which was built in 1912 sank and broadcasted a "wireless" distress signal.

If wi-fi has been around for nearly 100 years why have we only see it prop up recently.

The Carpathia (which was quite nearby) had the wrong WEP key and therefore couldn't pick up the Titanic's wireless.

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll. And see the thread about the Galway county councillor who supposedly claimed Connemara would be a perfect place for cloud computing, because it rains there most of the time.:):):)

Yeah, it was a fake story. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Right, from now on no one is allowed start a thread unless they can identify how these two items are linked:

link.png

cml387 wrote: »
    The Carpathia (which was quite nearby) had the wrong WEP key and therefore couldn't pick up the Titanic's wireless.

It's SSID was ih8iceb3rgs.

it was a radio signal by morse code that the Titanic sent.
    Wi-Fi is digital technology.

think old 088 mobile phone and 087 mobile phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

cml387 wrote: »

Yeah the others had the WPA2 security and better interwebz.

Titanic broadcasts a wireless distress beacon which is picked up by other ships who go to help the Titanic.

Wi-fi on laptops send wireless signals back & forth as well between router

There is no difference in terms of the technology so why was it lost for 80 years ?

Yeah the others had the WPA2 security and better interwebz.

Their net froze because the captain was downloading too much pr0nz. He got distracted and then it sank. Aw. Sad sad story.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Right, from now on no one is allowed start a thread unless they can identify how these two items are linked:

link.png
    They were both made in Japan? :confused:

stevenmu wrote: »

link.png

huh ?

Lead ? is that right ?

Titanic broadcasts a wireless distress beacon which is picked up by other ships who go to help the Titanic.

There is no difference in terms of the technology so why was it lost for 80 years ?

You should have seen the world in 1992. Wire everywhere.
    So it was obvious that something had to be done.

• Advertisement

Wireless

Wi-Fi

any clearer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Different frequencies and spectrums.

See here, here, here and here.

They were both made in Japan? :confused:
    huh ?

Lead ? is that right ?

The actual answer is that when the tape snagged you use the pencil to wind it back up again. Aw. Younglings.

chin_grin wrote: »
    The actual answer is that when the tape snagged you use the pencil to wind it back up again. Aw. Younglings.
    But they were both made in Japan.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Wi-fion laptops send wireless signals back & forth as well between router

I'll leave it to a better wordsmith than me to explain
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

You stick the pencil in one of the holes and twist so the tape rewinds.

The more sophisticated user would whirl the "cassette" (as we called it ) around with increasing speed until it flew off into the corner and was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Smokesignals are also a wireless distress signal. So is waving frantically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

huh ?

Lead ? is that right ?

Lead? What the hell are you talking about?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A radio broadcast is not the same as communication over a wireless network. So, No. Not the same.

I was going to go into detail, but this is after hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It was the only working prototype and sank with the titanic. It was rescued by an unmanned sub around 12/13yrs ago and engineers spent another few years getting the water out of it and getting it working again and sold the technology to the worlds computer/technology companies. Simples.

CJC999 wrote: »
    It was the only working prototype and sank with the titanic. It was rescued by an unmanned sub around 12/13yrs ago and engineers spent another few years getting the water out of it and getting it working again and sold the technology to the worlds computer/technology companies. Simples.

I was with you up until 'Simples'.

*shudder*

It is the same.
    You're all wrong i'm afraid.

I'm showing you the design of a shopping trollie wheel and you are forwarding me tractor wheels which originated from the trollie wheel.

Hope my metaphor makes sense above.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about or I'm just crap at explaining myself which is probably the case here.

Wireless & wi-fi are the same
    the differnce back in the days of the Titanic was then didn't have data packets in broadcasted in their signals, it was just morse code.

Over time this changed to data packets when the internet arrived, then it got faster & faster over time etc...

wi-fi technology can be traced back to wireless broadcasts be it radio or distress like the Titanic.

So my question still stands which is where did it disappear to for 80 years ?

It is the same.

I'm showing you the design of a shopping trollie wheel and you are forwarding me tractor wheels which originated from the trollie wheel.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about or I'm just crap at explaining myself which is probably the case here.

the differnce back in the days of the Titanic was then didn't have data packets in broadcasted in their signals, it was just morse code.

Over time this changed to data packets when the internet arrived, then it got faster & faster over time etc...

wi-fi technology can be traced back to wireless broadcasts be it radio or distress like the Titanic.

There was lightning in the age of the dinosaurs but they didn't have lightbulbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

We had VR and 3D gaming systems in the 80s where did it go for 20 years?

It's the lizard people holding us back, quick we know too much. The black choppers are closing in.......not much time......must fin...........

It is the same.

Did you jus........really?............REALLY?

• Advertisement

marcsignal wrote: »
    Wireless

Wi-Fi

any clearer ?

that's just ridiculous.

that's like trying to compare a standard bulb torch v's a new LED torch.
    Both do the same thing. LED is a newer technology than the bulb but both have the same affect.

This is what I'm trying to get across here....

that's just ridiculous.

Both do the same thing. LED is a newer technology than the bulb but both have the same affect.

And writing a letter to someone and emailing them have the same effect.

that's just ridiculous.

You're missing the point. Wireless in the old days referred to radio signals. Wireless nowadays refers to internet. Both different technologies that share the same description. It just changed.

Do I have to show you the diagram again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

that's just ridiculous.

Ah but would you consider 12 pints of Guinness and a Vindaloo the same thing? They're different but both give me the ****s so have the same effect.

It is the same.

No more sense than anything else you've said so far but do go on..

• Advertisement

It is the same.

Your point would be valid if they sent signal via wifi and then put their laptops in the cupboard for the next 80 odd years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

It is the same.

I'm not sure what your point is and just to clarify wi-fi is a type of wireless communication as is analogue radio communications as was used back in the days of the titanic.

Of course wi-fi can be traced back to analogue radio broadcasts, one evolved from the other. But wireless never went anywhere for 80 years. It evolved very slowly until wireless communications went digital, both the hardware and the modulation schemes. There were still advances during the mid to late 1900's the just didn't amount to much until it all came together in the digital explosion.

What is your actual point here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blackbettysgs2

"wireless" - means without a wire. Radio wave is a method of transmission that does not have wires, exists there were laws of physics are working.
    "wi-fi" - technology. read wikipedia

ok ok...my mistake.

The titanic must have sent it's distress signal via lasers as from what I understand from the replies even though both wireless & wi-fi use wireless radio signal to broadcast / send & receive they are not the same thing.

should probably have taken this to the computer forum where people know what they're talking about.

Mods - please delete this thread if that's possible since we have no actualy real replies on the subject. thnx

Well it's been a rollercoaster ride.

I would certainly advise you to go to the computer forum,in fact I'm off there now with popcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

OP, asking that question in AH is like running into a dark cave and asking the inhabitants what are the chances of a space time continuum anomaly opening up in a chrono-synclastic infundibulum.

People laugh at you without even realising they are incapable of answering your question.

Someone clever might amble along in page 6 if the thread gets that far,

ok ok...my mistake.

The titanic must have sent it's distress signal via lasers as from what I understand from the replies even though both wireless & wi-fi use wireless radio signal to broadcast / send & receive they are not the same thing.

should probably have taken this to the computer forum where people know what they're talking about.

Mods - please delete this thread if that's possible since we have no actualy real replies on the subject. thnx

You think this is bad? You'd be torn to shreds by the nerds over there! People who actually know what they're talking about and not a shred of sarcasm to boot.

I'm calling it now as it was called earlier. Obvious troll is obvious.

The principle is the same but the technology is widely different
    Was there knowledge of TCP/IP, IP addressing, encryption, digital signal processing in 1912?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

ok ok...my mistake.

You would have been laughed outta there.

If it the same thing, then why can't I received radio stations on my lap top using WIFI? Not talking about getting it through a website either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement