Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Question

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I can watch Sky News if I point a dinner plate at the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    ok ok...my mistake.

The titanic must have sent it's distress signal via lasers as from what I understand from the replies even though both wireless & wi-fi use wireless radio signal to broadcast / send & receive they are not the same thing.

should probably have taken this to the computer forum where people know what they're talking about.

Mods - please delete this thread if that's possible since we have no actualy real replies on the subject. thnx

I know you're an obvious troll but I cant help it.

What is your actual question/point?

Do you understand that even though analogue wireless communications and wifi use the same medium to transmit, i.e. the electromagnetic spectrum, or the "wireless" spectrum, the way in which they use it is different? As such they are completely different technologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

token56 wrote: »
    I know you're an obvious troll but I cant help it.

What is your actual question/point?

Do you understand that even though analogue wireless communications and wifi use the same medium to transmit, i.e. the electromagnetic spectrum, or the "wireless" spectrum, the way in which they use it is different? As such they are completely different technologies.

I'm not ***ing trolling ffs
    yes they use the same medium - radio signals............jaysy f...ing christ

unfollowing thread, deleted from "My Threads"
    ticket raised to delete thread

bye all

bye all

Pfffffffffffffft hahahahahahaha!

Hey hey hey you know that Finch boned your Mom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

bye all

You left out "i'm taking my ball and going home!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It is the same.
    You're all wrong i'm afraid.

I'm showing you the design of a shopping trollie wheel and you are forwarding me tractor wheels which originated from the trollie wheel.

Hope my metaphor makes sense above.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about or I'm just crap at explaining myself which is probably the case here.

Wireless & wi-fi are the same
    the differnce back in the days of the Titanic was then didn't have data packets in broadcasted in their signals, it was just morse code.

Over time this changed to data packets when the internet arrived, then it got faster & faster over time etc...

wi-fi technology can be traced back to wireless broadcasts be it radio or distress like the Titanic.

So my question still stands which is where did it disappear to for 80 years ?
    But, you've just explained that they're the same thing and have been been in use for the intervening period, so it it didn't dissapear for 80 years. Unless you're aware of some 80 year period that we're not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

bye all
    Not a ticket! We're all dooooooommmmmmeeeedddddddddd!!!

Oh, and TV, microwaves, X-rays and, y'know, LIGHT are all part of the same spectrum that radio signals are on. Should they have all been invented at the same time?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

bye all

Ah yes run home scared little piggy, run along now.

• Advertisement

token56 wrote: »
    Ah yes run home scared little piggy, run along now.

And as a result, this thread has lost 100% of its fun. Aw. Well, it was good while it lasted.

chin_grin wrote: »
    And as a result, this thread has lost 100% of its fun. Aw. Well, it was good while it lasted.

No one forced the OP to get in a sulk and storm off with his tail between his legs. What's that they say, don't dish it out if you can't take it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This might help the OP. Particularly this part.
    A wireless network uses radio waves, just like cell phones, televisions and radios do. In fact, communication across a wireless network is a lot like two-way radio communication. Here's what happens:
    A computer's wireless adapter translates data into a radio signal and transmits it using an antenna.
    A wireless router receives the signal and decodes it. The router sends the information to the Internet using a physical, wired Ethernet connection.

The bold parts are where the OP is missing the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mods - please delete this thread if that's possible since we have no actualy real replies on the subject. thnx
    You did get a proper reply. The clue is in the word itself, it's actually a very self evident word.

Wireless = wire less = without wires. Your TV remote is wireless however if it did have a wire going from it to the tv it would no longer be called wireless and would then be called wired.

You can have wireless speakers, those would be speakers that transmit the signal wirelessly (that is there is no wire) as opposed to your standard speaker which has a wire going from it to the amp which we would call a wired connection.

So you see the word wireless (wire: a long piece of cable, it looks something like a peice of string. less: in this instance means without or lacking) simply means there is no wire or physical connection between two devices.

The word doesn't actually relate to any particular technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

What kind of disappearing did radio signals do between the titanic and the recent widespread adoption of wifi?

Advertisement