Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video equipment news/stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

maik3n wrote: »
    Is there a NEW problem or is it uk/us plug issue that we talked about earlier?

There seems to be common issue of them sending out supplies that blow the board after a while. In my case they sent me one that I couldn't use at all - but the masses of board-melting stories scared me off just getting an alternative plug off ebay or whatever.

Amazon would only give a refund instead of sending me another so I went and bought one of those newfangled Avermedia jobs instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

I don't know, I've been using mine to record tournaments for about 6 months now in conditions that are generally much rougher than people would have at home and have barely had a problem with it.

I don't want to guarantee that nothing will though- could be a bad run or something.
    There seems to be common issue of them sending out supplies that blow the board after a while. In my case they sent me one that I couldn't use at all - but the masses of board-melting stories scared me off just getting an alternative plug off ebay or whatever.

Amazon would only give a refund instead of sending me another so I went and bought one of those newfangled Avermedia jobs instead.
    Perhaps I might just hold off making a purchase then. :confused:

Avermedia looks good, although like the elgato which I have, it probably wouldn't work with the sewell splitter mentioned earlier.
    I imagine it has something to do with the elgato being usb powered rather than AC. Although, not having a PVR2 I can't say for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The avermedia portable doesnt need a splitter, ps3 works out with the cables included.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

bush wrote: »
    The avermedia portable doesnt need a splitter, ps3 works out with the cables included.

A friend of mine has one and I'd put it slightly above the PVR 2 in terms of quality. It's smaller, doesn't require external power, has a slot for non pc recording and direct commentary and so on. To be fair, the PVR 2 has software solutions for most of these too, so it's only a little better.

Just on this point of splitting, If you want to record via HDMI with the new avermedia you DO still need a splitter, and a HDCP stripper, however as Bush said it has component cables that tbh do the job just as nicely. the same, however, goes for the PVR 2. I can confirm 100% the sewell works with both (the injustice vids on my channel have all been done with the sewell).

I tend to split the signal regardless as if someone knocks your laptop off/ disconnects the usb/ whatever you'll lose the game signal, and I can't be having that!

On another issue- Kanped, you reckon my idea for giving people headphones would work with this bad boy?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boostaroo-T613-BNC-Amplifier-3-Way-Splitter/dp/B000EIWCFE/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34Z13D5CGT2YO#productDescription

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Tried that, it's just a little too quiet for a loud room. Think it needs a bit of power (and I'm suprised at that too as I'm already using the powered splitter I used for the component recording).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

My Dad has one of those things. What's the exact setup you're using? RCA out of the xbox into an RCA to mini-jack converter? I'll just try it out and let you know for sure.

Kanped wrote: »
    My Dad has one of those things. What's the exact setup you're using? RCA out of the xbox into an RCA to mini-jack converter? I'll just try it out and let you know for sure.

Pretty much exactly that. It'd be cool if you could check it and see if it'd give enough volume for a loud room.

I'm more concerned about how distorted it was. RCA and mini-jack use different types of signal (I don't really know enough about AV stuff to explain it but it seems to be similar to using jacks and XLRs in that you need a DI box to run an unbalanced signal straight to a desk). I think you may need to run it through a device that was designed for RCA input (like your desk) otherwise the signal will be too hot on the input and distort before the signal is boosted to headphone volumes.

I think that's why all the converters are male/female rather than female/female; you can't run an RCA straight to your headphones.

ANYWAY, I'll give it a go and see if it works, because it might. I'm just skeptical.

• Advertisement

I'm more concerned about how distorted it was. RCA and mini-jack use different types of signal (I don't really know enough about AV stuff to explain it but it seems to be similar to using jacks and XLRs in that you need a DI box to run an unbalanced signal straight to a desk). I think you may need to run it through a device that was designed for RCA input (like your desk) otherwise the signal will be too hot on the input and distort before the signal is boosted to headphone volumes.

I think that's why all the converters are male/female rather than female/female; you can't run an RCA straight to your headphones.

ANYWAY, I'll give it a go and see if it works, because it might. I'm just skeptical.

I think you're right to be skeptical- BUT...

Only one set of headphones was distorting. The other one was just very quiet. I was wondering if there was some active component in the distorted ones causing it, and was hoping this would work with at least SOME headphones.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, actually I'm sure somehow this can work: I put RCA signal straight into 3.5 jack speakers all the time.

Well, I got the headphone splitter and then discovered I have no female/female minijack coupler to connect it. So, yeah, I guess it's still up in the air. I did discover this, though;

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview.php?t=149955&start=0

That seems to suggest that the headphone amp idea should work. If an amp is all that's needed, then yeah, that little device should work fine. However, you could spend an extra £9 and get this;

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-Eurorack-UB502-Mixer/KXB?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Behringer&utm_content=3N3biTfM|dc_pcrid_32000125759_plid__kword__match__

Which would definitely, 100% absolutely do the job and serve as a backup in case your main desk ever goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MelficeVKM

Just to back up what's been said, I've been using the Sewell splitter with the Avermedia LGP to record PS3 (on Doom's advice). Haven't run into any HDCP issues while using it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

hehe, I'm well aware that they don't NEED a splitter for NORMAL use and that we have the ps3 component cable.
    However, for HDMI purposes, as the Doctor explains, the sewell splitter has its uses. :D

So I got out the recording set up last night in the privacy of my own home to do some "how to record" stuff and also to figure out what kind of things I can do with the new gear.

The headsets are pretty cool. You will now not only be able to hear the other commentators, plus the game, but also I can include a mike so you can hear me at the desk- and I can decided whether the third mike can be heard by the stream/ on videos or not...

I should definitely have something sorted for people wanting to use their own headphones too.

DoC's going to be a lot of fun, commentary wise.

Unfortunately can't attend DoC myself but I'm looking forward to the quality bump these should provide. How are you doing the 3rd mic when you've only got 2 XLR inputs, by the way?

Unfortunately can't attend DoC myself but I'm looking forward to the quality bump these should provide. How are you doing the 3rd mic when you've only got 2 XLR inputs, by the way?

I've got 6.35 mm cables for the standard mikes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I can't express how cool I think this is gonna be. Hope you can deal with me running in circles around the setup on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Lythero wrote: »
    I can't express how cool I think this is gonna be. Hope you can deal with me running in circles around the setup on Saturday.

Videos of you running in circles can be a new thing.

Considering dropping some money on an Avermedia LGP tonight or tomorrow. Hoping to get a black Friday deal!

Which may mean I'll be considering selling another recording device (3 is really too much).

Also, interesting thing I discovered the other day: The tag I use with the highest SEO rating is "tournament". If you're putting videos on youtube, make sure you put that word in as a tag.

• Advertisement

I'm doing some diagrams of recording set ups- around this time I always get lots of questions :)

Here's the "full doomy"-

S9dFOxkl.jpg

This set up is basically the cheapest way to get the standard streaming set up you'll see at any major. Interesting stuff about it:

Can have up to 4 lagless video outputs.
    Can swap between 360 and PS3 in seconds.
    Can feed the game noise and commentators voices to each other.
    Can provide for "headkrones".
    Seperates the game monitor from the recording set up so there's no lag and if there's a problem with recording the players can continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I'm doing some diagrams of recording set ups- around this time I always get lots of questions :)

Here's the "full doomy"-

This set up is basically the cheapest way to get the standard streaming set up you'll see at any major. Interesting stuff about it:

Seperates the game monitor from the recording set up so there's no lag and if there's a problem with recording the players can continue.

8cd109a09ee3a8bbdb3099afd1c59873.png

Untitled_zps5770c574.jpg

Nice and discreet diagram Doom

Hope you'll never have to explain why you haven't op'ed for the E-sports setup as the results will show in your footage.

Lol!

Here's the next one, I'm getting a LOT of questions about this right now, dealing with HDCP.

VdviMZg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Here's the "full doomy"-

S9dFOxkl.jpg

Since I have NOTHING else to do, I want a shot at putting this in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I remember when we were buying the first mixer and then thinking it was so boss when setting it up in XGC.

Orim wrote: »
    I remember when we were buying the first mixer and then thinking it was so boss when setting it up in XGC.

My god, the memories!

I still use that mixer. Soundcraft. Total workhorse.

I'm pretty sure this is the right thread to be bumping.

I now have a 3DS capture card up and running, which means I can record and stream 3DS and DS games.

I did some tests last night on the most hardcore game:

http://www.twitch.tv/deadeyedave/b/526759849

I'll keep playing around with it and experimenting with different options, but from what I'm seeing so far, as long as Doom's setup has 1 free USB port, we'll be able to record and stream a Smash 4 tournament the day it drops if we want.

I'm pretty sure this is the right thread to be bumping.

I now have a 3DS capture card up and running, which means I can record and stream 3DS and DS games.

I did some tests last night on the most hardcore game:

http://www.twitch.tv/deadeyedave/b/526759849

I'll keep playing around with it and experimenting with different options, but from what I'm seeing so far, as long as Doom's setup has 1 free USB port, we'll be able to record and stream a Smash 4 tournament the day it drops if we want.

While I could probably definitely stream it doing exactly what you've done, plugging it into the set up might be more difficult than that (it depends how OBS would see the usb device). Is there some documentation how it works?

Still, very gdlk!

I can dropbox you the program files and associated documentation if you're curious, I was gonna keep streaming/capping random games in the meantime to try and refine down the best way of doing things.

Like for example, the Rhythm heaven footage is both 3DS screens streamed together, rotated 90 degrees (you hold the DS sideways for that game), I wanted to play around with only streaming one screen or the other, and splitting both screens and laying them horizontally.

If you prefer I can wait till I've found the best way of doing all these, THEN send you the programs I did that with.

Currently I'm using Xsplit broadcaster and "Capture screen region" as Xsplit gamecaster didn't seem to be able to see the 3DS footage.

• Advertisement

I can dropbox you the program files and associated documentation if you're curious, I was gonna keep streaming/capping random games in the meantime to try and refine down the best way of doing things.

Like for example, the Rhythm heaven footage is both 3DS screens streamed together, rotated 90 degrees (you hold the DS sideways for that game), I wanted to play around with only streaming one screen or the other, and splitting both screens and laying them horizontally.

If you prefer I can wait till I've found the best way of doing all these, THEN send you the programs I did that with.

Currently I'm using Xsplit broadcaster and "Capture screen region" as Xsplit gamecaster didn't seem to be able to see the 3DS footage.

Ok, if Capture screen region is working for xsplit, it should work with OBS too. I suspect OBS wouldn't see the 3DS directly either, unless whatever hack they've done involves installing something directly compatible from Hauppauge or avermedia or something!

Advertisement