Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick mame help,

• 30-11-2011 5:03pm

Hay guys need a hand,

Im not new to mame or anything im just doing something stupid and cant figure it out.

My Mame cab was running fine for years until the hard drive died a while back.
    so I got a new PC and Im I can not for the life of me get the neo geo roms to work again!

Ive tried all the neogeo.zip bios files I can find and also the unibios ones but they still wont work for me.

the game I really want working is league bowling.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

All the new versions of mame your roms have to match the version.
    What mame romset have you downloaded and what version of mame are you running?
    there is tools to audit your current roms to suit the version of mame your running too

Hi Cathal,
    Im not at home at the moment but I think Im running Mame32UI not sure of the version,

what version are you running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The latest version of MAME is 0.144

If you find out your MAME version I'm sure we can help you out.

just got it working,
    didnt do anything different but its working

cheers Chathal!
    And Steve!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

half the roms i have dont work because of a mismatch in versions i think. I tried compiling it or whatever its called but i just couldnt figure it out.

• Advertisement

I'm very resource wasteful when it comes to mame :o

I always download a fresh batch or roms and chd's and artwork for every main version (.142,.143,.144 etc).

It uses a fair amount of bandwidth (280GB for latest version) but at least I never have the wrong roms.

That used to really piss me off with MAME and having the wrong sets of roms so when I got a decent bband connection in I said never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Clrmamepro newbs.

They won't listen to me, what more can I say? :p:rolleyes:

EnterNow wrote: »
    Clrmamepro newbs.

They won't listen to me, what more can I say? :p:rolleyes:

I used to use Clrmamepro.

Then UPC hooked the entire internet into my brain so i takes 2 hours for to grab the full romset every time :D
    Click download, walk away, come back after lunch and there it is.

Huh, bband peasant :pac::pac:

Edit:
    And by full romset I mean roms and CHD's

I compile my own command line mame with highscore support and no nag screens but I also re-download the roms and chds too:o, sure what else would I use my 25MB UPC connection for ;)

I compile my own command line mame with highscore support and no nag screens but I also re-download the roms and chds too:o, sure what else would I use my 25MB UPC connection for ;)

If you have the 25MB connection you are probably eligible for the free upgrade to 50MB(or pay a bit more for the 100MB)

I've been a beta tester for NTL/UPC for many years and they have a few nice things in testing at the moment.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    If you have the 25MB connection you are probably eligible for the free upgrade to 50MB(or pay a bit more for the 100MB)

I've been a beta tester for NTL/UPC for many years and they have a few nice things in testing at the moment.

I'll be looking into that alright;)
    Any idea how I go about it, might have to have a look for my UPC online password and see how much i'm paying againt the current packages

News to me! :eek:

I'm on a 25Mb UPC line at the mo, how might one achieve this free upgrade??

News to me! :eek:

I'm on a 25Mb UPC line at the mo, how might one achieve this free upgrade??

Give them a ring and ask if you're eligible.

It may only be the people who were on 30MB when the 50 came out that are up for it but its no harm to ask.

I think the 100MB is only 5 euro extra a month now on top of the 50MB connection if that suits you.
    I used to have the 100MB when it was in testing and it was very good.

They have me on a faster connection now but you'd be hard pressed to utilise it. Its nice to have but if I was paying full price I'd stick with the 100MB as its fast enough for anything really.

It uses a fair amount of bandwidth (280GB for latest version) but at least I never have the wrong roms.

280gb!!! No wonder half them dont work, i think what i have is about 30gb!! haha

keithgeo wrote: »
    280gb!!! No wonder half them dont work, i think what i have is about 30gb!! haha

Well, to be exact.

Total size for roms is 40.9GB and 222GB for the CHD roms.

And then you have about 14Gb of artwork and various bits and pieces.

Cheers for that Steve, I'll give them a bell & ask.

Regards the CHD's, has there been much progress in how they run at all lately? Last time I checked which was ages ago, the CHD's weren't very functional at all. I know you need a beefy pc to run them, but even high end machines struggled with a lot of them.

Stuff like Cryptkiller, ran ok I think

Give them a ring and ask if you're eligible.

It may only be the people who were on 30MB when the 50 came out that are up for it but its no harm to ask.

Nope not eligible :( Apparently I was upgraded from 20 to 25 there a while back, & the lady said nobody who was on 30Mb was upgraded to 50Mb.

What speed have yo ugot Steve, 1Tb? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

I've a pain in me b****x updating MAME, TBH. Ever since 0.143 there's been a noticeable input delay that definitely wasn't there before. CBA using rollback sets, either. Otherwise I'd stay on 0.142 and never update again. Removing Cave drivers in the latest build was also an annoyance and the CHD set is becoming way too bloated, even without the Laserdiscs.

There isn't much released after a certain period, say 2000 onwards that's been added to MAME that I want to play, anyway. It has all the classics I played in arcades that I'll ever need there already.

Hay Steve,
    any idea how to get Tekken Tag working ?

and how many buttons do you need for it?
    Mines a 6 button setup + start and coin.

Nope not eligible :( Apparently I was upgraded from 20 to 25 there a while back, & the lady said nobody who was on 30Mb was upgraded to 50Mb.

What speed have yo ugot Steve, 1Tb? :D

Pity.
    My speed at the moment is officially 100MB but as I'm testing some new stuff for them it usually fluctuates between 180 and 200MB.
    For the first few weeks the speed was really fast but not stable at all so packets were been dropped all over the shop. But it's settled now.
    That's usually how it goes when testing out the new stuff for them.

urbanledge wrote: »
    Hay Steve,
    any idea how to get Tekken Tag working ?

and how many buttons do you need for it?
    Mines a 6 button setup + start and coin.

Not sure as I don't really play it but the 6 buttons should be fine for it anyway.

• Advertisement

Pity.
    My speed at the moment is officially 100MB but as I'm testing some new stuff for them it usually fluctuates between 180 and 200MB.
    For the first few weeks the speed was really fast but not stable at all so packets were been dropped all over the shop. But it's settled now.
    That's usually how it goes when testing out the new stuff for them.

I rang them back a while ago, & got a better phone package & doubled my 25Mb to 50Mb all for the colossal sum of €2 extra per month :cool: I wasn't on a bundle initially,it was a made to measure deal I got ages ago, so fair dues to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Seriously jealous at you folks and your double/triple digit download speeds. :eek:
    Wish UPC would hurry the fcuk up and come down to Arklow. Eircom NGB 8mb = 4.5mb on a good day, load of sh1t.

What exactly are chds? stupid question maybe. I downloaded the latest 0.144 romset and they all seem to work fine for me (including some that i could not get working previously :) ), ive started downloading the 200+gb chds but im wondering what they are for if the games are actually working ok??

What exactly are chds? stupid question maybe. I downloaded the latest 0.144 romset and they all seem to work fine for me (including some that i could not get working previously :) ), ive started downloading the 200+gb chds but im wondering what they are for if the games are actually working ok??

They're basically hard drive images of hdd based arcade games. Like SF3 had a cdrom version, & a cdrom & hard drive version. For the later, youd need the hdd image or chd file for that game

I tried a few of the street fighter games and they all seemed to work, ill have a look at sf3 tonight though. its a lot of chds though! im going to need to buy another hard drive as the one i have at the minute wont be able to hold these along with the roms, artwork and videos for hyperspin.

I tried a few of the street fighter games and they all seemed to work, ill have a look at sf3 tonight though. its a lot of chds though! im going to need to buy another hard drive as the one i have at the minute wont be able to hold these along with the roms, artwork and videos for hyperspin.

Tbh you should check with Steve first if its really worth the bandwidth. A lot of those chd games wern't anywhere near playable not too long ago.

Sf3 etc is grand, its perfectly playable & the chd's are small. Some of them are huge though, may not be worth it if the games aren't playable

yeh, i might let it download and keep it on the external hard disk then copy any over i might need as opposed to throwing them all on there, i probably wont play most of them anyways.

yeh, i might let it download and keep it on the external hard disk then copy any over i might need as opposed to throwing them all on there, i probably wont play most of them anyways.

Thats similar to what I did. I had an archive of everything, & only transfer across what I actually use.

Advertisement