Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What town to stay in Lanzarote

Options
  • 30-11-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Plan to head to Lanza with GF and am looking to see if anyone has any advice on what town to stay. Will surf in Famara but not going to stay there as want hotel with pool and also want choice of restaurants and bars (I know Famara is quieter).

Anyone stayed in the towns of Puerto del Carmen or Casta Teguise? Teguise seems closer to Famara so is preference but anyone know if it is tacky, full of Irish/UK bars or what the vibe is like in the evenings - young, old , families, mixed etc. Is del Carmen a better choice?

Any hotel recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zircona

Hi

I stayed in Puerto del Carmen and went surfing in Famara a few times. the New town in Puerto del carmen has its tacky spots to be fair with all those loud bars but I have to say the old town was pretty nice. I stayed in Apartmentos Fariones which is bang slap between the old and new town. they are a little pricer than most of the other apartments but they are clean and had everything you need. Hotel San Antonio is also supposed to be nice. Only been to Costa Teguise once but dunno looked pretty quiet to me. It is closer but not enough going on to convince me to stay there. There is a a bit more in Puerto del carmen and once you are not on the main strip its possible to escape it all.

Surfing was great, the currents are strong so be aware of that not least cause fighting it can really tire the body out but a lovely place to surf. The cliffs are amazing. I booked in with Lava Flow surf school who collected me from the apartments and provided everything I needed in terms of equipment. If you are looking for a school I would recommend them. I've tried a few other schools too but no where near as good.

V envious I must say. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Hi, I was there recently, stayed in Puerto del carmen, hired a pugeot 206 for 4 days for 64Euros and only put 8 Euros petrol in it, we drove around the island a few times, Its a very relaxed place the main drag in puerto del carmen along the sea is as wild and cheesey as it gets. Costa teguise seemed to be a bit of a mix of old vs new and not as touristy as puerto del carmen didnt like it much cool to cycle round though. There' s an excellent cycle track that links the 2 towns together via the back of the beaches and boardwalks, and you can sit under the end of the runway on the beach track and watch the planes land too, theres possibly a nice wave there at the end of the runway when its too big or windy up north. Farmas nice its only a 30 min easy drive from puerto, but not sure about nightlife or easy access to nice food for couples. Farma is a fantastic place clean and friendly. I stuck to the main beach it was perfect 3 foot and peeling while i was there and i didnt want to find out what reef rash feels like out there, the rocks are sharp as hell compared to our lovely glaciated limestone. Prepare for stingy nipples from hell too if you re used to wetsuits here, you ll have a ball anyway its a great place.

Advertisement