Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ipads, smartphones hurting the big 3

Options
  • 30-11-2011 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

I see alot of articles saying 99 cent games are killing console gaming and it could doom the way we play games in the future. For me at least i think when it comes down to the handheld market it seems more appealing to me playing games on my ipad cause theres a huge variety of games that are great fun and are priced very resonable or free. I would like to own a 3ds or vita aswell but for the adverge person whos not really a gamer i can see them on the go playing games on their phones than buying sonys and nintendo handheld.
    It leaves me to this , we see tablets and phones getting pretty powerful and what if it comes to a day where well see like apple tv where you can hook up your ipad to the tv and browse the internet or play games , is their much market to gain to the people their trying to convert to buying their products When the adverge person doesnt need the best gaming experience possible and just looking for a 99c game to play to kill time.

We know developers go to the place where markets boom
    And angry birds selling 350 million could more companies make way

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/09/21/angry-birds-sales-exceed-350-million.htm

I dont think it be the doom for consoles as it seems cause sony fans will buy sony console, ms fans will buy ms console and the same with nintendo fans Theyll buy nintendo products.

What do ye guys think.. Is it a concern or is it just people trying to create buzz and making noise over nothing.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/327886/consoles-are-doomed-richard-garriott/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm. See that xbox nearly sold a million consoles last week alone? So, no. I don't think it's affecting the "big three". Also the games on these systems tend to be a very scaled down version of the "full spec" game on the likes of a pc\ps3\360. And I can't stand flash games. Not sure, they just annoy the feck out of me. Maybe I'm not playing the right ones.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2128958/microsoft-sells-nearly-million-xbox-360s
    Microsoft sells nearly a million Xbox 360s in a week

Seven years old and still going strong
    By Dave Neal
    Wed Nov 30 2011, 12:49
    GAMING CONSOLE VENDOR Microsoft has just sold its largest number of Xbox consoles in a week.
    In a seven day period that included Black Friday and Cyber Monday, both traditionally big days for retailers, the company managed to shift 960,000 consoles in the US alone, the most ever in a week.
    800,000 of the devices were sold in one 24 hour period, it added, meaning that the rest of the week was perhaps a little more lacklustre.
    Jeff Meisner, editor at the Official Microsoft Blog welcomed the high sales figures, which also saw more Kinect units leave stores and enter homes. Meisner said that combined standalone and bundled movement sensing gewgaw sales numbered 750,000.
    "Xbox 360 should deliver its eleventh straight month as the number one console in the US. Given the robust holiday portfolio and the new Xbox LIVE dashboard going live on Dec. 6th," he said. "Microsoft expects holiday momentum to continue, driving Xbox 360 to finish the year as the number one console in the U.S."
    The firm has not released worldwide sales, but it is possible that these were also high. Microsoft is making a big push with its Kinect hardware and is rapidly releasing more titles that make use of its software for voice control.
    These include the recent Halo CE Anniversary release, and the Black Eyed Peas Experience. µ
    Source: The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14p4S)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It is effecting handhelds.

I bought 3ds, but feck me I don't touch any new releases. 45eu for new game on handheld? Nope...

I bought 3ds, but feck me I don't touch any new releases. 45eu for new game on handheld? Nope...

Call me a pessimist, but I don't see the Vita doing well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

There will always be a place for the big consoles, I read on destructoid Xbox has sold the most units in a week ever recently.
    But there is a place for handhelds too.

There will always be a place for the big consoles, I read on destructoid Xbox has sold the most units in a week ever recently.
    But there is a place for handhelds too.

Psssst, read my post. It's the second one. :P

There will always be a place for handhelds. But they will always be marketed towards the younger gamer. Well, in Nintendos case. Although I played Street Fighter on the 3DS there and was amazed. Couldn't stick it for long though as I was getting a strain on the eyes (OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!).

I think PSP tried to get the more mature gamer in to the fray and failed. It's been dying since the slim. I still own my phat one though. It still has a place in my heart..............for playing psx games. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see a crash coming in the smartphone market before it stabilises. There's a bit of a goldrush in the market at the moment but I can see the low price points being unsustainable when consumers start demanding more of their smartphone games. You'll see the small indies being weeded out and a stabilisation of the market around big developers and publishers. I really don't see the iphone or android devices being able to offer me the depth of game that I get on the DS and PSP for the price they are selling for, the handheld market will definitely take a bit of a hit but I don't see it going away. Smartphones have priced themselves out of the childrens and teen market which despite what skewed reports show, is the biggest market for these devices. As a gamer, most of the smartphone games are throw away or unexplanably popular, the god awful angry birds being the big one. While they are interesting I'm never going to get a game as polished or as enthralling as etrian odyssey or Pokemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ya, I'm paraphrasing but I think Ipod devices and the like have taken about 20% of their sales; the only consumers at risk are the casuals who need something/anything to play to waste time (eg commuting) and don't particularly care what it is.

Like there'll always be a place for a dedicated gaming handheld that can deliver games that phones can't, it'll just get it's casual market stripped away. But as long as games like pokemon, mario, zelda, uncharted etc have exclusivity, then handhelds will have a place.

That said, they gotta slash the price of handheld games - they're almost equal to console-game prices but take half the development/staff. Ridiculous. So, this competition will only be great for us the consumer. Game prices will HAVE TO come down to compete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't think it will. I just consider it a different medium. I play games on my iPhone when I am bored and don't have access to any other form of entertainment. However I would choose an actual console over it every time.

It's casual gaming, you could argue that all handhelds are casual but it all depends on what way you use them. In my personal opinion if people only like 99c games on smartphones or tablets then I would consider that to be casual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I see it as ya cant put a price on how fun games will be , millions and millions went to bf3 and i hated every second of it . I seen final fantasy on the app store and looks gorgeous and plays like a dream. If developers can create similar experience using a turned based system with jrpg , japan will boom cause already they are a handheld country..
    Handheld and tablets arent going to be graphically behind or using less powerful machinary forever..
    As jakhunter said its good for us consumers.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I see it as ya cant put a price on how fun games will be , millions and millions went to bf3 and i hated every second of it . I seen final fantasy on the app store and looks gorgeous and plays like a dream. If developers can create similar experience using a turned based system with jrpg , japan will boom cause already they are a handheld country..
    Handheld and tablets arent going to be graphically behind or using less powerful machinary forever..
    As jakhunter said its good for us consumers.:D

For the forseeable future at least, the heat generated by the most powerful computer components will require far more ventilation than can possibly be provided by any handheld device.

For sure such tiny home gaming devices will arrive someday, but it is not an imminent threat to this or the next generation of consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Game prices will HAVE TO come down to compete :)

This will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

This will never happen.
    Yes it will

Check and mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

More like 30-35 online :P

For the one title available on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the handheld market will still be there for gamers and for children. However the smartphones have now taken the casual market that nintendo worked so hard to entice with games like brain training. They're pretty much gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think it also has the reverse effect. I know of 3 (yes, 3!!!) people who had no interest in gaming and through the powers of App games have upgraded to DS's and one even got a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

As long as i buy the games i want to play publishers will see a market for it and developers will try to make games like it so they can get more of my money.

At no point was i deciding between 40-50 apps and skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    While they are interesting I'm never going to get a game as polished or as enthralling as etrian odyssey or Pokemon.
    I agree with you. Any game I've played on a phone hasn't been very deep, with simple mechanics, and short play sessions. They're easy to pick up and play for 5 minutes while you're waiting for something. That said, with the more advanced/involving games on the DS I sometimes wonder if it'd be more fun to be playing on a bigger console instead of crouched over a handheld.

I do find DS games pricey. I was looking at some older DS games earlier this week, and the fact that they were still over £20 on Amazon made me reconsider getting them. I don't so much look at it and think of how many cheap phone games I could get, I think of the 360 or PS3 game I could get and play on the TV instead.

I think Penny-Arcade showed both sides of the argument when the 3DS price dropped:

i-GgW57X4-L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

chin_grin wrote: »
    Hmm. See that xbox nearly sold a million consoles last week alone?

Lifetime sales:

PS3: 56 million
    360: 57 million
    Wii: 90 million
    iPad: 40 million
    iPhone: 100 million
    iPod Touch: 60 million
    iOS5 users: 66 million

Not bad, considering the iPhone and iPad are both much younger than the other consoles.

Virtually every one of those iDevices has a user's credit card information, with one-click purchasing enabled. And the most popular task performed on these devices is gaming. It's a massive, massive market; and one that's increasingly being taken seriously by the big publishers.

Infinity Blade, an iOS game, made Epic Games $10 million dollars within 6 months of launch. The game itself took only 6 months to make, and only a handful of people to do so. The sequel, launched this week, will undoubtedly make even more. They've abandoned a successful and well-received Xbox Live title in Shadow Complex to focus on iPhone/iPad, because it's much more lucrative.

Not that these devices reliant on big publishers like Epic. The incredibly low barrier of entry (a $99 developer account is all you need to submit titles to the App Store) means that the bedroom coder can sell titles on the same digital shelves as the likes of Epic, Ubisoft, Square-Enix, EA and Capcom. And outsell them. Look at Angry Birds, Flight Control and Sword & Sworcery (probably my GotY so far) for amazing successes from small developers.

It's clearly got the big 3 rattled. Just today, a Sony suit went on record to say that Vita software prices would be impacted by the 99c smartphone game phenomenon. XBox are pushing their XBox Live brand into the mobile space to retain mindshare. Nintendo, well...are as slow to react to industry trends as ever, but it's hard not see a little iPhone/iPad influence in their upcoming Wii U.

What's really going to shake the market up is when Apple enters the living room. They already have their 'hobby' Apple TV box which plugs into your telly. But there are building rumors of an Apple television set coming in the middle of next year.

The moment that the Apple television set enters the living room, along with the App Store, is the minute the console gaming landscape changes forever. It means that triple-AAA developers don't need to sign away their IP and their profits to a publisher just for market access. It means publishers don't need to bow to platform holder's licensing fees. It means the next mass-market console smash hit could be created by some guy coding in his sitting room wearing a dressing gown.

EA Believes its killing the console market and ready to support it

http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/2011/07/ea-apple%E2%80%99s-ipad-killing-the-console-market-were-investing-heavily-in-it/

Gabe Newell thoughts on apple wanting to destroy the console business

http://www.gamefront.com/newell-thinks-apple-might-be-looking-to-kill-consoles-and-hes-probably-right/

Epic Game Boss Believes ipad is the future of consoles

http://www.gamesradar.com/epic-games-boss-reckons-the-ipad-is-the-future-of-consoles-agree/

while i made this , my time owning an ipad it be foolish to believe that 99c cent games are nothing and should be ignored.
    i have made comments in the past before on how 50 quid for a game is expensive but thats an entirely different story, well see down the line if mobile gaming succeeds in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

as much as i love playing games on my ipad, it doesn't come close to console games and i doubt it ever will, ipad/smartphones are definitely hurting handheld console's though i'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

If the big American RPG publishers started releasing JRPG games on the Ipad and Android markets I would ditch my PSP and 3DS in an instant, €45 for Tales of the Abyss is a pain I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

If the big American RPG publishers started releasing JRPG games on the Ipad and Android markets I would ditch my PSP and 3DS in an instant, €45 for Tales of the Abyss is a pain I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

The thing is you can't make a massive WRPG or JRPG, sell it for 99c and expect to make a profit. Big budget games just can't work in that environment.

Shining force is 99c in the app store
    Secret Of Mana 8.99
    Final Fantasy 3 is 15.99

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/222212/the-6-best-jrpgs-on-iphone-ipad/

theres some great jrpg on the store

The thing is you can't make a massive WRPG or JRPG, sell it for 99c and expect to make a profit. Big budget games just can't work in that environment.

for 99c no probably not but you can get some gems on the store for 5 -10 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A developer could potentially release a big budget game, sell it at $9.99, reach a massive audience and keep 70% of all revenue, though.

Triple-A is untested on iOS at the moment, but all signs point to it being a success. There is a perception that smartphone users are married to the 99c price point, but in actual fact developers have noticed sales have increased when they raised their price from 99c upwards. There are also plenty of (relatively) high price titles, like Infinity Blade, Football Manager and the Gameloft games, which consistently reach the very upper reaches of the charts, despite a higher price point.

Big publishers are being very conservative when it comes to bringing their triple-A IP to the App Store, but it would be fascinating to see them release a 'proper' entry in a big series, backed by the usual hype machine and marketing campaign.

Shining force is 99c in the app store
    Secret Of Mana 8.99
    Final Fantasy 3 is 15.99

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/222212/the-6-best-jrpgs-on-iphone-ipad/

theres some great jrpg on the store

I have all three on Ipad and also paid €30 for Shining Force on GBA and €40 for Final Fantasy 3 on DS when they were released.

you are doing a better job than myself , just google searched their to try to help ya out , my most hardcore game i own on ipad at the moment is scrabblee hd and plants vs zombies :pac:

Off topic.

Game Boy Advance era games would sell very well on Itunes. If the price as set at €15 for many of the games I would pay that, I played two great GBA games a few years ago that never made it over here, Summon Night and Riviera The Promise Land, cost me a bomb to import, if games like these were released on Itunes for €15 or less they would sell very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

With regard Angry Birds paving the way for more developers to sell millions of copies of their games, it really should be pointed out that Rovio are not really a small developer, at least not in the manner people are describing them. Angry Birds was their 52nd game in 6 years, had a team of at least 10 people working on it and cost over €100,000 to develop. That figure also ignores the fact that they already had their tech in place. Now, sure their success is monumental but this is only one in a sea of unknown, underwhelming and poor selling titles from not just themselves but other developers too.
    The moment that the Apple television set enters the living room, along with the App Store, is the minute the console gaming landscape changes forever. It means that triple-AAA developers don't need to sign away their IP and their profits to a publisher just for market access. It means publishers don't need to bow to platform holder's licensing fees. It means the next mass-market console smash hit could be created by some guy coding in his sitting room wearing a dressing gown.
    While Apple entering the home console market would result in some change, I think you're highly overestimating the effect it would have on the market the big three exist in.
    • Publishers will still be needed for marketing and funding - even Rovio used Chillingo to publish the initial release of Angry Birds.
    • Publishers (or developers) will still need to hand over 30% of their revenue to Apple, not to mention a further 25% of their profits if they were to use UDK or a similar third-party engine.
    • Games such as Infinity Blade could not be made by some guy coding in his sitting room.
    It's clearly got the big 3 rattled. Just today, a Sony suit went on record to say that Vita software prices would be impacted by the 99c smartphone game phenomenon. XBox are pushing their XBox Live brand into the mobile space to retain mindshare. Nintendo, well...are as slow to react to industry trends as ever, but it's hard not see a little iPhone/iPad influence in their upcoming Wii U.
    Sony said they'd have various pricing tiers on the platform which is an extremely clever move. You'll have the likes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss for those people who don't mind forking out £30 for the latest big release but you'll probably have Vita ports of mobile games at more sane prices. Microsoft are pushing their Xbox Live brand onto Windows Phone 7 as part of a drive to improve the feature set of the OS, I don't think it has much to do with this topic. Nintendo are probably like me, they keep hearing how great mobile devices are for gaming and then get confused when they can't find the d-pad and buttons on the device. ;)
    Triple-A is untested on iOS at the moment, but all signs point to it being a success. There is a perception that smartphone users are married to the 99c price point, but in actual fact developers have noticed sales have increased when they raised their price from 99c upwards. There are also plenty of (relatively) high price titles, like Infinity Blade, Football Manager and the Gameloft games, which consistently reach the very upper reaches of the charts, despite a higher price point.
    Actually I'd argue publishers are far more interested in free to play games on mobile devices rather than AAA titles at the moment. Over the last year or so it's proven to be extremely profitable for a large number of titles and most of the big acquisitions by publishers have been in this area.

As for the games you've mentioned, Infinity Blade is an exception due to the visuals it boasts. It's not really a great example when you take into consideration the work that would have gone into it, the people who were involved and the costs involved for developers who would need to licence Unreal and the tools required to utilise it properly. With regard to Football Manager and Gameloft, they have the advantage of leveraging big licences to sell their games and as such, are able to command higher prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement