Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toppins Field, Roxboro

• 30-11-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭

Looks as if the Travellers mentioned in the other thread won't be in their current site for much longer if the plan to change the use of Toppin's Field from residential to commercial goes ahead.

A major supermarket chain has expressed interest.

Personally, I'd like to see a library, along the lines of Watch House Cross, built on the site too.
    A detailed plan for the Toppin's Field site in Roxboro is being prepared by Limerick City Council.

It's believed a major supermarket chain has expressed an interest in locating on the 14 acre site near the Maldron Hotel but it is currently zoned for residential use only.

Councillors were due to vote this week on a proposal by City Manager Tom Mackey to rezone the site for commercial development.

However, Mr Mackey says the issue was taken off the agenda at the council's monthly meeting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I'd much rather see either the Opera Centre or Parkway Valley finished, lest we be landed with another half finished white elephant of a shopping centre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would be surprised to see a major supermarket brand go there tbh, unless of course the nearby Tesco has plans to go there as that store has long been spoken of as looking for a new nearby site.

Might actually be easier for them to just build and open a brand new site rather than try to give the old store a renovation job like what is being done in many of their branches across Ireland and the UK atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Tesco in Roxboro were due to move over to where Fulflex was or so I heard about 2 yrs ago. Personally I dont see why the travellers in Toppins field should be moved, they have been there since I was a kid and are actually coopers in every meaning of the word. I know plenty of people who have brought up fences and gates which they hand fixed ...and also lately they spend a fortune doing the place up and just peppledashed the entire wall in the past 2months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

steveon wrote: »
    Tesco in Roxboro were due to move over to where Fulflex was or so I heard about 2 yrs ago. Personally I dont see why the travellers in Toppins field should be moved, they have been there since I was a kid and are actually coopers in every meaning of the word. I know plenty of people who have brought up fences and gates which they hand fixed ...and also lately they spend a fortune doing the place up and just peppledashed the entire wall in the past 2months.

Im sure the council paid for that and not the caseys, after all they are looking for a handout and a new house with land so do you think they will spend money dashing a wall, I dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

skyguy19 wrote: »
    Im sure the council paid for that and not the caseys, after all they are looking for a handout and a new house with land so do you think they will spend money dashing a wall, I dont think so.

Could be proved wrong here but dont think it is the casey's who stay there thought it was the McDonaghs or something like that, to be honest the travellers staying there are not the worse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

skyguy19 wrote: »

I think there were complaints about it being a eyesore on the one of the entrance roads to the city and being across from the hotel, so the council dashed the walls and planted a few trees to make it look nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The Halting site was there prior to the HOTEL so I dont see why it should be moved due to its close proximity. As I said I have never seen any problems with ne1 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

campo wrote: »
    Could be proved wrong here but dont think it is the casey's who stay there thought it was the McDonaghs or something like that, to be honest the travellers staying there are not the worse

No,it is the Casey's,been there for many years now.
    As for Toppins field,in the original regeneration plans,Tesco's (Roxboro) was to locate to Toppins field and shopping centre site was to be turned into sheltered/secure housing for old people.
    Although it was a few years ago,so might be mixing up the details.

Advertisement