Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in the wilderness

Options
  • 30-11-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I posted this somewhere else but I think this is the place I should have posted it

Right, so I love movies and books set in the wilderness, mountains, etc, so I figured I would love to go and live in the mountains in Canada for a couple of weeks, not sure exactly how one would go about this, but it seems interesting as bejaysus to me! I went to a Bon Iver show and the support act that night spoke about going up to Canada and being airlifted into some remote part where the polar bears cross the river before the ice melts in between winter and spring,

Just wondering if anyone has such experience or has had similar thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

You will get killed unless you have good experience!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless

If you are serious then I can advise on a organized tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Practice in Ireland first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Krissovo is correct. Unless you are exceptionally skilled you will die out there :O

Has anyone ever seen the film Into the Wild?? Based on the guy from krissovo's link. This really springs to mind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

Ah no, I know I have seen this and reads the book, that was more of a kamakazee mission, I am talking like, renting a cabin by a lake in canada bout 20 miles or so away from the nearest village for supplies and stuff! And just hiking every day and stuff. I understand it'd probably be dangerous, bears and whatnot but I am sure there are certain ways you could do it. Dunno, it was just an idea for before I get too old! I think it'd be really nice.....what would i do without boards though? I could live without facebook etc, I have read Jack London's book "call of the wild", and seen SO many documentaries on it, it is just always something that interested me

Ah renting a cabin, thats a completely different beast. Not really the image that comes to mind when someone mentions 'living in the mountains' in a survivalism forum. Places like this you rent still usually involve a high level of Westernised mollification and aren't a whole lot different to any other kind of holiday most people would book.

Your biggest worries would be not getting ripped off by the people you're renting off, not trying to stay alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Ya, it sounds more like you want an adventure holiday with a be of freedom, than actually living in the wilderness.

Either way, it's no harm for you to learn some basic survival skills for that area.

I am talking like, renting a cabin by a lake in canada bout 20 miles or so away from the nearest village for supplies and stuff!

LOL :o

I am trying to dig out some contacts for you. I did a great trip a few years ago that will give you what you want. Week 1 was 5 days on horse heading out into the "wilderness" and camping semi rough with a small group and learning local techniques. After 5 days you are well up in the mountains and swap the horses for a raft and white water down the mountain for two days. The second week was in a remote cabin free time with access to fishing, and hunting and most importantly local knowledge who will show you anything you want from making jerky out of moose to skinning and even boat building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

Krissovo, that sounds class!! I'd love something like that? Where did you do it?

It was in Jasper national park. I should have a contact for you in a day or so.

• Advertisement

Class man! yeah that sounds excellent, thanks!

I spoke to the guy who ran the "Adventure" last night and he has had to close down. The river he used has been closed to all water sports due to a rare duck:eek: and could not get a license for any other river.

He suggests a private guide who can plan the perfect adventure.

krissovo wrote: »
    I spoke to the guy who ran the "Adventure" last night and he has had to close down. The river he used has been closed to all water sports due to a rare duck:eek: and could not get a license for any other river.

He suggests a private guide who can plan the perfect adventure.

BLoody ducks ruining our fun now, whatever next?! Blast em with lead i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

krissovo wrote: »
    You will get killed unless you have good experience!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless

If you are serious then I can advise on a organized tour.

OP watch this and read it

Good book
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_%28book%29
    Good film

A duck? bejaysus, ah thats grand, it sounded like a blast1 I was thinking of heading off and renting a cabin myself and doing it. Obviously rent a car and whatnot because I dont want to be stranded or anything, I'm not that hardcore! ha

Yeah corkboy, ah ive watched this film to death, there was speculation and stuff that McCandless was gay and stuff and was a bit messed up in the head so they reckon this was a bit of a suicide mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

There was a criminal called "Michael Boyle" from Wicklow who used to go on the run living up in the mountains for months at a time in the 80's.
    He used to kill deer and rabbits with just a knife.
    He only came down to kidnap people.

Got caught trying to kill someone in England then.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.crime.prisons-n-prisonors/136/mb.ashx?pnt=1

Paul Williams wrote a good bit about him.

Class, I'd be very interested in readin that! Thanks for the heads up, they might be writing a book about me some day like that one! hahaha

can't find anything bout him and that link is something different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

bobbaggio wrote: »
    Class, I'd be very interested in readin that! Thanks for the heads up, they might be writing a book about me some day like that one! hahaha

One of Paul Williams books has a chapter about him. I think its 'Gangland'.

oh nice one, have that book here at home! i will have a read of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

don't get how you could love that story. its like how to get yourself killed by being stupid. what a tragic waste.

Advertisement