Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nestle Being Sold in the Shop

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Went into the shop for the first time today since about a month and thinking of this thread, decided to see what Nestlé products were present...
    I then noticed how many products ARE Nestlé!
    Kit Kats, Yorkie, Aero, SMARTIES etc!
    Can't deny the public of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Went in there to get a roll at lunchtime, she said its €3.50 and you get a can of coke with that. I wasnt bothered with the coke so then she said its €3.70. Strange how they give you more and charge you less. I SAVED myself 20 cent by getting coke. Shouldnt it be the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Aren't there moral qualms about the production of Coke as well? Bit hypocritical to boycott Nestlé products when it's guaranteed the same people would buy Coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

reunion wrote: »
    I believe the shop is apart of the SU (or the SU is the shareholder in the shop). Previous years students from class rep council would be apart of the board of trustees (or board of directors or something) and the SU would pay the wages of staff in the shop. The shop was bailed out this year via the SU (won't bring up from what parts of the SU) so we clearly have some hierarchy.

So the SU don't own the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Aren't there moral qualms about the production of Coke as well? Bit hypocritical to boycott Nestlé products when it's guaranteed the same people would buy Coke!

Yup. I think the whole approach to it is flawed, as was alluded to before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Gumbi wrote: »
    So the SU don't own the shop.

you should do some research first

or read boards a little more

or keep up with events this semester on campus

The students felt in 2005 that the moral issues around the production of coke is worth it for that smooth bubbley taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Nescafe not Nestle

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Went into the shop for the first time today since about a month and thinking of this thread, decided to see what Nestlé products were present...
    I then noticed how many products ARE Nestlé!
    Kit Kats, Yorkie, Aero, SMARTIES etc!
    Can't deny the public of these!

I don't see why not - tobacco and alcohol products have restrictions on them. Obviously, this is more related to health.
    While idealistic, maybe such a stand to be taken on moral grounds is admirable?

The idea that it's not democratic appears to have been thrown around. I'd regard that as BS - claiming that a few thousand voted for it and "that's not fair" is a complete load of dung. The entire student population is asked for their vote in a referendum; by note voting you're saying that you feel the issue is not important to you.
    In saying that, such a proposal should definitely have a sunset clause in it. It's crazy to say to a company who have operated controversialy that it should be denied for ever. If people continue to feel strongly about it, they will call another referendum. If the population feels strong enough about that, the proposal will pass.
    Personally, I think it's crazy that any product would be banned. Nestle's actions relating to formula are deplorable - so to is the actions of tobacco and clothing companies.
    Surely this is where people who do feel strong enough about any issue should expose it through An Focal and allow people to buy based on their own moral compass?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Category 2:
    For Information
    Alert Notification:
    Product:
    Nestle Kaszka ryzowa jablko (Infant rice with apple); pack size: 180g.
    Batch Code:
    03.2012. 106103352, best before date: 01/03/2012.
    Country Of Origin:
    Poland
    Nestle Polska S.A. is withdrawing the above batch of Polish baby food, due to elevated levels of the heavy metal, cadmium. Polish Groceries Galicja Ltd. is providing point-of-sale notices for display in retail shops that they supplied. No other products or batches are known to be affected by this recall.

Obviously there standards have not improved.. This was issued by the FSAI today

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Sorry but that post is a VERY blinkered view.
    http://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/food_alerts.html

Food alerts go out every week from many manufacturers so it doesn't necessarily reflect any single company that such a thing should occur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

Sorry but that post is a VERY blinkered view.
    http://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/food_alerts.html

Food alerts go out every week from many manufacturers so it doesn't necessarily reflect any single company that such a thing should occur.

Frickin' 'ell that's a scary page. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

PROGRAM_IX wrote: »
    Frickin' 'ell that's a scary page. :o

Incorrect labels on bottles of Guinness. :pac:

Advertisement