Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College road.

Options
  • 30-11-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

What are them nut jobs in the council doing? Did anyone drive up the College road and see them things(the best way to describe them) sticking out from the footpath. I've heard of people crashing into them, I nearly did too! They should put reflectors or lights there. A great bunch of lads...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I honestly don't see how you'd crash into them (not paying attention??).

However I'd imagine they installed them to make it easier for people to cross the road as its a pretty wide road, the downside is they have reduced the amount of parking spaces available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I'd bet my life on it there for parking meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Cabaal wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how you'd crash into them (not paying attention??).

However I'd imagine they installed them to make it easier for people to cross the road as its a pretty wide road, the downside is they have reduced the amount of parking spaces available.
    In the night they are very hard to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It reduces the amount of free parking available,another nail in the coffin for Kilkenny traders.
    I heard in Limerick they have introduced free parking over the Christmas.

They have also made the Dublin Rd from the top of Maudlin St to the entrance to St Canices hospital much narrower,too narrow if you ask me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hi5 wrote: »
    It reduces the amount of free parking available,another nail in the coffin for Kilkenny traders.
    I heard in Limerick they have introduced free parking over the Christmas.

They have also made the Dublin Rd from the top of Maudlin St to the entrance to St Canices hospital much narrower,too narrow if you ask me:mad:

Absolutely crazy what they did there and dangerous. Had to flash an on-coming car a few weeks ago there that was over on my side of the road because of the numpties in KK Borough council wasting money on widening an already adequate footpath that nobody will use anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Reckon they have a budget to burn through before year end. They are doing some stupid pointless unnecessary resurfacing work on the Bennetsbridge road roundabout as well.

Hopefully they'll finish it just in time to dig it up again and install gas pipelines.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Reckon they have a budget to burn through before year end. They are doing some stupid pointless unnecessary resurfacing work on the Bennetsbridge road roundabout as well.
    Hopefully they'll finish it just in time to dig it up again and install gas pipelines.

Thar was upgraded less than 2 years ago if I recall correctly. Kilkenny local authorities definitely lead the way for incompetence so bring on the pipelines :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

That's exactly what it is. Anyone remember when the morons decided to dig up the road through Knocktopher around December 2009 causing massive delays, just a couple of months before the motorway was supposed to open ultimately bypassing the entire village. Just to use up that years budget.

Also, how long does it take to put down new kerbs on the islands and do that small bit of resurfacing. They've been at it what now? 4, 5 weeks?

Are they making it '2 lanes' like the other roundabouts?
    Of course that could have been done at the same time as the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

There were already two lanes there. I don't know what the fk they're doing, other than wasting winter salt / flood money and causing havoc.

• Advertisement

There were already two lanes there. I don't know what the fk they're doing, other than wasting winter salt / flood money and causing havoc.

That's right it is 2 lanes indeed. It's the other roundabouts like the Waterford-Callan road ones that badly need widening, they're awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

They're doing all the roundabouts down to the Callan road lads, so get used to the delays.

Its not the council doing it either its contractors.

But what was wrong with them?

Heres a job that needs doing,the N10 at Danesfort cross leading back into Kilkenny has a very uneven surface.
    They did some of it but didnt finish it.
    Instead of wasting tarmac on footpaths no one will use.

A thought just crossed my mind,maybe they're making the footpaths wider so they'll need less tarmac for the narrower roads in future:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Yes it looks like parking meters very shortly. So who voted the council in?
    If you are not happy vote them out at the next election.
    Someone said on one of the boards that they did not want Kilkenny to be like the other towns with the same shops, sure it won't the way they are going, it will be strictly for tourists, and you know what the locals can do?
    A road through the council offices might ease congestion, it would seem they have more and enough staff parking in the grounds.
    Perhaps a move to one of the vacant sites, like the old mart might be a good idea or the spare ground opposite the Watershed.
    Vote with your head, Merry Christmas if you can park in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

hi5 wrote: »
    But what was wrong with them?

Heres a job that needs doing,the N10 at Danesfort cross leading back into Kilkenny has a very uneven surface.
    They did some of it but didnt finish it.
    Instead of wasting tarmac on footpaths no one will use.

A thought just crossed my mind,maybe they're making the footpaths wider so they'll need less tarmac for the narrower roads in future:D

I think they are widening the entrances to each roundabout and creating more space around the roundabouts themselves. Always thought the entrance to the Waterford Rd one was particularly narrow myself, say coming from Loughboy side on the ringroad.

Not sure what you mean about wasting tarmac that no one will use... the ringroad footpaths are very heavily used by people running and cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Slightly OT, sorry. The Council must have loads of money to spend. They've dug up part of the footpaths on the two lay-bys at Paulstown village on the old N10 and are replacing them with nice red bricks. It must be urgent because I saw them "working" away at it today (Saturday, overtime?). And they're council workers too, not contractors.:eek:

How long are the hospital waiting lists again?

dear redtelephone, brill sighting eh, sure is a waste of our money. Did we vote them in to do this, do they live on a different planet? It would appear we are only here for them to do as they please, is there not a body that can object to council waste. No doubt they would say it is an up-grade, so would a proper ring road round the city. Sorry we have moved away from college road but it is too show what an undemocratic society we have created.
    Vote with your head next time. merry christmas all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Whatever ye feel about the coco, they keep the roads in better condition than our neighbours. I'd say college road will be pay and display. To be fair again to the corpo, traffic in Kilkenny is a joke, so many people drive to the city when they're is no need, Sycamores to High St. is well walkable.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Two more points, I believe it's up to the government to decide if money goes to hospitals or cocos. I also feel it's a disgrace that there isn't a ring road around Kilkenny, the section they built between Dublin and Comer roads has really brought down traffic but even if they could link the Freshford road, I think this would be another mega improvement but I know this won't happen in my lifetime just as the central access road won't either. I do know they will have at least another five presntations with seriosus intent done on them before I die, perhaps an updated computer animation video, in 3D maybe? A couple of more scale models?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

What puzzles me is that Kilkenny county has the lowest, (and the city has amongst the lowest) commercial rates in Ireland : (http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Finance/Commercial_Rates_-_Frequently_asked_questions_FAQs.html).

This means they must have less to spend on roads than other authorities, so why waste it on non-essential projects?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whatever ye feel about the coco, they keep the roads in better condition than our neighbours.

Agreed, the likes of Waterford isn't too bad but Tipp roads are bloody awful
    To be fair again to the corpo, traffic in Kilkenny is a joke, so many people drive to the city when they're is no need, Sycamores to High St. is well walkable.

Also agreed, people are awful lazy driving into the city centre when they could just walk. Most places in the city are walkable without any problems.

One of the problems that is overlooked, shopping. Whilst there is a case for walking, for instance from the Sycamores, would I walk back with a few bags of shopping? No, nor would I take a taxi.
    Perhaps we are getting lazy, is this not why shopping malls, McDonough Junction and Market Cross are so popular?
    Of course a decent town transport system could be the answer, ban cars altogether, provide out of town parking - free, wanna bet most of the store owners would be up in arms.

To dream:

How much have they wasted on this?

I don't think an out of town park and ride would work but you never know, if it did work it would be fantastic. Remember, every person walking, cycling or taking a bus (if it was available) is one less car in a traffic jam. I agree the Sycamores would be a long way to drag shopping on foot but I wasn't really getting at that, more the people who drive the short distance into town to work from there.

The (absolutely pointless) "works" on the College road are as well as serving zero purpose also look aesthically awful and messy to my eye.
    Good ole KK local authorities busy wasting our hard earned taxes to control us further and give us less free option for parking. These quangos need to be abolished and their functions merged into some kind of regional authority to look after all road, sanitation services etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

And it cost 400,000 for the few meters of concrete to do the job,
    WTF, Could be done for 40,000 tops. All public spending should be stopped,
    And put money towards clearing countries debt,
    Who gives a **** about a pothole, BIGGER PICTURE
    Its why i have very little faith in this cnut-try !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Who gives a **** about a pothole ...
    Everyone who has to spend hundreds, perhaps more, replacing a tyre, maybe even a wheel, after driving into some of the glorious examples which are scattered around the country at the moment?!

dear randylonghorn, well said.
    I believe there are two issues, one the waste of public money and two protection of the enviroment.
    I do not think stopping public projects and clearing debts is part or anything to do with college road. However, did the electors vote for the council to rob motorists left right and centre?
    I am not talking about the casual visitor, it is the people who run the businesses, the people who we rely on, yes we do, why are the council hell bent on moving them further and further out of town?
    Given there is no transport system in Kilkenny, where does one park five days a week, Market Cross? you must be joking.
    One wonders what the council and it's employees pay to park?
    Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas

Ye can have a guess as to what I'm doing this morning:
    Outcry over works on College Road

Kilkenny Advertiser, December 16, 2011.
    By Sam Matthews
    A number of Kilkenny’s borough councillors have expressed serious misgivings over the ongoing roadworks taking place on College Road in the city.
    At this week’s meeting of Kilkenny Borough Council, several councillors said that they felt the project was unnecessary and called for a halt to work. Councillor Joe Reidy said that the council was doing things backwards, and asked that the work be undone immediately.
    “One of the nicest approach roads to the city has been ruined by these road works,” he said.
    “I think that the plan is following the money, rather than the money following the plan. We have got it wrong, and we need to reverse it.”
    Councillor Betty Manning said a number of her constituents had raised the issue with her.
    “It’s one of the finest roads in Kilkenny – a classical road,” she said.
    “I have explained the rationale to people behind [the work] and they think I’m joking. I don’t know what to say to people when they ask what is being done.”
    Director of Services for Kilkenny County Council John Mulholland explained that the road works were being done as part of the Smarter Travel Scheme, to encourage the use of cycle lanes. He urged the council to wait until the scheme was finished before judging its merits.
    “The works are part of the overall plan for increasing cycle lanes in the city,” he said.
    “It is in the vicinity of schools, in particular St Kieran’s College, attended by 600 or 700 students.”
    The scheme is yet to be completed in terms of appopriate signage and cycle lane markings.
    Mayor David Fitzgerald, who is an alumnus of St Kieran’s College, said that he had walked the relevant stretch of path twice a day for six years. He said he was unable to understand the logic behind the works.
    “It looks like a classic case of over-engineering,” he said.

I don't understand how them things sticking out helps a cycle lane. I also think that road is plenty wide for traffic and bikes to pass in both directions without any problems. I'll wait and see the end result though, as I'm all for the proper implimentation of quality cycle lanes and not the random painting of lines and surfaces.

Dear Captain Havoc
    You are right, what a nonsense, where is the cycle lane going? The council wants to encourage cycling through the city.
    Yes, there are boys who cycle to school, anyone actually counted to verify, lets have facts.
    As for the comment I read about college Road being classic, yes two petrol stations a pub, a new roundabout and now the things which will probably sprout payment meters.
    Think back the most splendid view of the city was coming in on the callan road just before the SOS, so who let the developer build flats that completely destroyed the view?
    Same mob that are turning College road into a mess.
    Happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Sorry if they the council think by putting cycle lanes on collage rd. will further the ease of travel ..must be living in cloud cuckoo...

For a start cars/buses etc. with the existing width seem to think they can cross the line heading to ormonde rd..the amount of times I see this...and yes I travel on this route twice a day plus that junctions lights...a joke...plenty of red light breaking...through no fault of the drivers...like green for ten seconds:confused:...

have seen a crash probably a year ago now where a kid was badly hurt at the junction...lights are too far back from the the actual crossing...for what.. The rare bus that needs to turn..:mad:

A previous poster said that you can't possibly not see the jutted out pieces of tarmacked obstructions is wrong...if one is driving in conditions of bad visibility one might just hit them due to the slight curve of the road...if no cars are parked before the above obstructions...needs a lick of yellow paint on the curb...

End of rant...thanks for your time...;)

Advertisement