Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College road.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cleberp

Dear Captain Havoc
    Think back the most splendid view of the city was coming in on the callan road just before the SOS, so who let the developer build flats that completely destroyed the view?
    Same mob that are turning College road into a mess.
    Happy days

Absolutely spot on. That used to be one of the most amazing views, many a frosty morning cycling to school on top of that hill I'd see the cathedral and say nice one not too far now.

As for the cycling lane, they didn't widen the actual footpath, as of yet they have put up a sign for pedestrians to share the footpath [aw how nice]. There is absolutely nothing to entice me onto that footpath as Irish people pedestrians and cyclists alike have no clue to share on them.

There was many mentions by our coucillors and such to make KK a walkable/ cycleable town to live but what a con. The coco had the opportunity to make KK an example for the rest of the country but to date have failed miserably. Worse they are using the facade of 'cycling and the like' to use up their budget on nonsense shoehorn projects.

As for the projects the roads, for example, putting down tarmac when it is freezing or frosty is absolutely retarded, it will lift and break up and then they probably wont get round to fixing it until next year end and so it begins again.

I was speaking to a man the other day that got a call from the KKCoco about a contract he tendered for 3 years ago, and they wanted him to start asap. He had no idea what they were on about but was fairly happy when he realised the price he quoted them back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

How can these protruding masses of concrete bays help cyclists ?
    You're cycling along, Come to one and have to turn out to avoid bay,maybe under a truck Then turn back in, come to next one, turn back out under bus ?
    wow,
    They are lethal to cyclists !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Cleberp wrote: »
    As for the projects the roads, for example, putting down tarmac when it is freezing or frosty is absolutely retarded, it will lift and break up and then they probably wont get round to fixing it until next year

the new resurfacing on the Waterford road...on both sides the finish layer is actually higher than the section they did last year...so yet more money has to go in to finish that section.. Ah sure this country has loads of money...not

If they want to get rid of free parking spots...how about at the pinch point on upper Patrick street...where there is high possibility of a headon incident soon enough..

argosy2006 wrote: »
    You're cycling along, Come to one and have to turn out to avoid bay,maybe under a truck Then turn back in, come to next one, turn back out under bus ?
    wow,

Never mind the anti parking black bollards, are they expecting some caravans to set up camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

argosy2006 wrote: »
    wow,

Heres my guess:)

The current footpath will be split into both cycling and pedestrians with a line down the centre.
    The parking will be pay and display with the machines mounted on the new islands so as not to interfere with the cyclists and pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hi5 wrote: »
    Heres my guess:)

The current footpath will be split into both cycling and pedestrians with a line down the centre.

Thats exactly whats going to happen, there's signs up on the footpath advising its a shared space already, saw them yesterday.

Disaster, once again a complete bloody idiot designs cycle facilities in Ireland.

I for one will never be using them, frankly its dangerous to put a cyclist doing 30km in VERY close proximity to a person walking at perhaps 4-5km/hour.

Not to mention the cyclist now has to hope that...
    - people don't open car doors onto the footpath,
    - people aren't walking on the cycle lane,
    - people walking dogs with leads,
    - glass and rubbish on the cycle lane
    - wet leaves reducing ability to break

As a runner I hate shared cycle lanes, as they encourage some cyclists to cycle in the space I'm running in.

They label this Smarter Travel, frankly I fail to see how because only a fool thinks its a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Dear Caabal
    Think you covered it all, but what happens when one gets to the end of College Road? Will we have a cycle lane down Rose Inn St, how many pedestrians have nearly been lost at the corner with the quay?
    What about the High Street, the only way is take the car out of the equation.
    Why can't we have a traffic free centre? Who is deciding all these things in the council?
    I don't remember voting for them to do all this nonsense.
    Well my friend Merry christmas to you and yours and look forward to an exciting 2012, Regards foxy

They put down a white line on the pavement...:rolleyes: with barely enough room for both someone walking and a cyclist to pass each other...an accident waiting to happen..

Of course it is plain too see, they cannot actually say it "Cyclist Banned from Kilkenny", surely there must be a prize for anyone who passes the Scelp and makes it to the Mayor's Walk, and as most cyclist's if not all will suffer some unfortunate happening they really do not have to worry.
    So my two wheeled friends go careful;
    Regards and have a carefree day, Foxy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Doesn't matter, the law is being changed so cycle lanes will no longer be mandatory :) I also encourage you to walk in this cycle lane so if someone pulls me up on this, I can say "look at all those pedestrians in the cycle lane, do you think that's a safe environment for them or me?"

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Well, they're gone now anyway...dug up and removed, they also got rid of the painted on cyclist and pedestrian (left the arrows though) and put another cycle lane on the other side, no parking on the other side now.
    So how is we here on this forum could see the folly of their actions instantly and they couldn't, are these people even qualified to do what they do, how much money was wasted making those islands only to pull them up again, does any one lose their job, did they have the cost taken from their wages?
    And then they threaten us with all these new charges to maintain services and threat us like criminals. How do they get away with it?
    Its time for a revolution.

of course one cannot think of cycling when mass is taking place at St patricks, chuch goers onviously are blind to double lines, perhaps it is a case of god only knows, and kilkenny coco.
    Who is the patron saint of cyclist? and do pedestrians have one?

Advertisement