Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom research?

Options
  • 30-11-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a phone call that I thought was going to be one of those 'Microsoft PC calls'. However a foreign (Indian?) voice asked if he could speak to 'Mr John' - giving my husbands first name only. No. Is this the wife? he asked. He then wanted to know if he could have my address. No, I told him.

Anyway he went on to tell me he was from Eircom and wanted to help us improve our package. I told him I was not interested and rang off.

I wonder though, the approach was very unprofessional, why would he want my address as we are Eircom customers and he had the phone number and part of my husband's name. We are also on the 'no cold calling' list.

So, could it have been genuine, or is it a scam I haven't come across before?

Just realised I had the number (doh!) 01 8920400 - apparently it is Eircom, pathetic bit of advertising.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

looksee wrote: »
    Just got a phone call that I thought was going to be one of those 'Microsoft PC calls'. However a foreign (Indian?) voice asked if he could speak to 'Mr John' - giving my husbands first name only. No. Is this the wife? he asked. He then wanted to know if he could have my address. No, I told him.

Anyway he went on to tell me he was from Eircom and wanted to help us improve our package. I told him I was not interested and rang off.

I wonder though, the approach was very unprofessional, why would he want my address as we are Eircom customers and he had the phone number and part of my husband's name. We are also on the 'no cold calling' list.

So, could it have been genuine, or is it a scam I haven't come across before?

Just realised I had the number (doh!) 01 8920400 - apparently it is Eircom, pathetic bit of advertising.

Hi looksee,

I can advise that these are scam calls, eircom only call customers in relation to sales and packages.

Please insure never to give any details out in these calls. As valid eircom agents will confirm all your details (including the eircom account number)

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Just got a call from this number too, where are they getting our names and numbers?

Edit: Mark, can you confirm is this an eircom number or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

If you are listed in the phone book they could have your name, number and address. To confirm it is a genuine call always have them confirm something more then that.
    In the case of a service provider like eircom they should be able to confirm the package you are on or how much you are paying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

just got a missed call from this number , one of those so called pc doctors by anychance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shawny1

Hi looksee,

I can advise that these are scam calls, eircom only call customers in relation to sales and packages.

Please insure never to give any details out in these calls. As valid eircom agents will confirm all your details (including the eircom account number)

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,
    According to Looksee, he WAS ringing in relation to packages:

"Anyway he went on to tell me he was from Eircom and wanted to help us improve our package."

so your first statement above doesn't really help. Good to know they will confirm your account no. though. I missed a call from a private no. after 8pm yesterday and today from this no. I have not given anyone my number as I only really use package for broadband. I guess I'll save no. on phone as spam so I'll know in future.

Here's a link to a thread spanning 3 years (of frustration). It includes a no. to get taken off an eircom marketing list:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/018920400

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I just treat all telemarketing calls as potential scams now and hang up (politely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi folks,

Have looked into this further using the number detailed above and it is indeed an eircom number. Apologies for the incorrect info yesterday. The number is not one of our regular outbound sales channels.
    I can confirm now that the call was legitimate.
    Unless we are certain that the call comes from here we will normally advise against giving any info until we confirm. If you do wish to get back in contact the number is freephone 1800 503 303. I want to apologise if the agent that called seemed unprofessional, we have addressed this through our internal process.

Regards

Mark

Advertisement