Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Behaviour Myths

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'll go out on a limb here: You could take any theory on dog behaviour including the ones currently in vougue and stick "no evidence to support it" at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Have to say, I think at least half that article is pure rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Boogiewoogie

Would be interested in some feedback as to which half you think is complete rubbish TMD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Here are the major points I disagree with

Point 1
    - dogs don't form packs Dogs don't form packs in the way we've always been taught but my experience, from my 6 dogs, they do form a pack. Of course it's not the 'pack' based on out of date wolf studies, they're not trying to take over my house but they have a clear pack none the less.

Point 3 - No basis in supporting hierachy in multi-dog houses Depending on the dogs in the household and how new they are to the household. Giving a new dog a lot of attention or high value objects can open that dog up to being a target and result in a lot of friction among the dogs. If there is a hierachy and the dogs have worked out their own way of sorting things out deliberatly upsetting that is foolish in my book. When my dogs all ate out of one bowl if I had upset the eating order it would have created trouble, everyone knew the order and everyone was happy with that.

Point 6 - Myth - pat your dog when he's afraid, you're rewarding the fear No-one is suggesting a dog is trying to manipulate you into patting him by pretending to be afraid. Often dogs are afraid in situations they don't understand, so if we immediately comfort them it normally doesn't help them understand their fear, it makes them realise that fear is the correct reaction to that situation. Much like if a toddler falls over and you run over in a panic the toddler sees you panicing and freaks out even more because if you as the person they depend on is panicing then there really must be something to be afraid of. If you go over calmly and pick up the child and distract them they quickly realise there's nothing to panic about. The same with a dog, if you're calm it will help them realise that being calm is a good response. I don't see where manipulation comes into it at all.

Point 7 -
    Punish dogs for growling or else they'll become aggressive This statement is far too simplistic. Why is the dog growling? Removing growling does create a dangerous situation but if a dog is constantly growling for some reason and you don't get to the bottom of it it's also a dangerous situation. I've taught my dogs not to growl at my child, but in order not to create a dangerous situation I have given the dogs a safe area that my girl can't go and never leave them on their own together. If she's annoying them I've taught them to get up and to to their sanctuary rather than growling. You have to deal with the growling, and it's not always by trying to make them 'comfortable' with the situation, it can also be to stop the guarding behaviour, or to leave the situation altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

TMD I think if you go back to read the article you will find that the author agrees with you.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've never heard the "chew toys cause dogs to chew things" myth. Seems completely moronic to me. My dog tears her chew toys to pieces in minutes, but everything else in the house remains untouched.

It would seem logical to me that if your dogs has chew toys, they won't need to chew on anything else.

Advertisement