Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3D Scanner/ 3D Printer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

eddhorse wrote: »
    They look great, blank cartridges would also be handy for everdrives.

Yeah, but again its a lot cheaper(at the moment) to gut some crappy game for an everdrive than print a fresh cart.
    I've printed a few cart cases for various systems on my Makerbot, but the quality isn't nearly as good as a normal cart and requires sanding and few coats of paint to bring it up to a reasonable standard. Still, it's a lot of fun to print your own parts, if a bit slow.

I cant wait until we have really nice high resolution printers that don't cost 10k+ and the running costs are a bit more practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Indeed its all gettting there, slowly but surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Star Lord wrote: »
    ^ WANT!!!!!!!! :D

But can't get, so...
    625x465_403961_149813_1390531960.jpg

Can GET!

http://www.shapeways.com/product/MLX77XRTT/success-kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Oh, I know, just not gonna fork out €20 odd for the little figure! :D

What is this, Amiibo?

Just a heads up I'll be offering printed 3D parts to regulars here at cost by the end of the summer. I'll have both a new generation FDM printer(so that will be FDM prints with PLA and ABS plastics) and also a new stereolithography printer for the high resolution stuff(prints will cost bit more on that as the material is super pricey).

Might be handy for basic parts you need for arcade or consoles but can't get, or just something you want printed for whatever reason(mods etc).
    As I said, it will be at cost price as I'm not looking to profit from this or go into business.

This will also need the ok of the mods I'm thinking as it probably won't fall under the normal "retro services" in the marketplace.

Will update once I have the new printers (I'm guessing July/Aug for both).

Info:
    WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STEREOLITHOGRAPHY/SL AND PLASTIC EXTRUSION/FDM?

Plastic extrusion, or fused deposition modeling (FDM), is the most common desktop 3d printer technology; FDM printers melt plastic and use an extruder to print each layer with molten plastic. SL can outperform the print quality of even high-end FDM machines. A high precision system directs a laser across a tray of liquid resin and causes a thin layer to solidify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Fair play Steve, it's a great service to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's really excellent! Do you think you could do one of those little covers for the PCE Everdrive?

Great stuff, need to think of things that are printable...

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's really excellent! Do you think you could do one of those little covers for the PCE Everdrive?

Well, using the normal FDM 3D printer wouldn't work on that part. Maybe the laser stereolithography one might be able to handle it.
    But, that part is not my own and only printable via Shapeways.

If you have or design your own part I will gladly print it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Will we be able to get one-off parts or do you only print in pairs ? :)

Will we be able to get one-off parts or do you only print in pairs ? :)

For this particular service I will allow once offs :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve X2 wrote: »
    For this particular service I will allow once offs :D

No, he's lying.
    He will just print two and keep one for himself
    Eventually the OCD will kick in and he'll print another to keep it company

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, he's lying.
    He will just print two and keep one for himself
    Eventually the OCD will kick in and he'll print another to keep it company

Get out of my brain sir!!!
    :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Steve, the stuff on shape ways website, are they only available through them? I'm subscribed to "build the millennium Falcon" and they have some good replacement pieces for parts in that but their prices are ridiculous. Are the files or whatever for those pieces on shape ways public?

Steve, the stuff on shape ways website, are they only available through them? I'm subscribed to "build the millennium Falcon" and they have some good replacement pieces for parts in that but their prices are ridiculous. Are the files or whatever for those pieces on shape ways public?

With shapeways there is an option to allow a download of the models you're selling. But most people don't allow it as they won't make any money on it then.
    I get models from thingiverse, youmagine and also Grabcad. With the grabcad files they require a bit of work to make them printable and usable.

I think people also need to remember a good 3d print takes a stupid amount of time to actual print out. I did a custom vase for my mother a few weeks back, it was 8 inches tall and about 4 inches wide. At the highest quality/resolution it took well over 55 hours to print!! It then gets a chemical process which a lot of people are using these days with 3d printing that uses acetone steam baths to improve the final product. That only takes a few mins, unless you feck it up and have to reprint :mad:

And of course there is the fun of doing a long print and it failing halfway through, 20-30 hours in :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

55 hours, christ on a bike.

eddhorse wrote: »
    55 hours, christ on a bike.

Longest print I ever did was about 190 hours!!
    Large item, lots of fine details so I had the fill high and the speed low. That's the way it goes with FDM prints. The new FDM printer I'm getting is a lot better than this makerbot replicator 2 and also a lot more hackable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Its crazy its like 36 quid for a few barrels and boxes to go in the falcon.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/3B5LABLNN/millennium-deago-hall-bits-1?li=search-results-2&optionId=55962559

Dont even get me started on the other bits like chairs etc! its crazy money. they do look cool though, especially the nav computer thats pre drilled for fibres. pricey though. i guess if it takes days to print i can understand why.

Its crazy its like 36 quid for a few barrels and boxes to go in the falcon.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/3B5LABLNN/millennium-deago-hall-bits-1?li=search-results-2&optionId=55962559

Dont even get me started on the other bits like chairs etc! its crazy money. they do look cool though, especially the nav computer thats pre drilled for fibres. pricey though. i guess if it takes days to print i can understand why.

It only takes days for big prints. And shapeways use different printers that take minutes for prints and they are very clean and sharp.
    They are overpriced though, a lot.

Advertisement