Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coachella 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I was there in 09. Apparently they relaxed a few of the rules last year, such as not being able to go between the campsite and the festival area when you want.

The drinkin rules were ridiculous though. First we had a struggle getting our PASSPORTS accepted as ID, we ended up getting a cop to help verify them. Then when we got our armband for the "beer cage" when we were queueing to get in they refused an american who had grey hair and was clearly approaching his retirement. He nearly shat himself. No armband no access. And then you get a 330ml watered down heineken. Absolute ****e.

If ya go in with low expectations regarding all this, and manage to smuggle in a decent amount of vodka, you'll be ok. The ironic thing is in the dance tent there are more people off their head on pills etc than I've ever seen. Still the atmosphere overall was non existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Anyone know where I could get tickets? 2 for the 1st Weekend! Reasonably priced as well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Its coming very very close...

What are your plans for camping gear? Is it better to buy there or haul a tent with your checked in luggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've been a couple of years ago and it was the worst festival experience I've had, and I include Oxegen in that:D Seriously, any euro fest is miles better. Sure the lineup is always phenomenal, but beyond that it's horrid. Too hot(on mostly durin sunlight too compared to say Benicassim), too many rigid rules(drinkin in the festival area is only allowed in a caged off area to the left, you cannot get beer etc and go watch an act), too many posers, no general craic, the most boring lifeless campsite ever, and many many other reasons. Can't stress enough how much you should avoid this if yer used to european festivals.

I'd only recommend it if you were in the vicinity and wanted to go purely for the music and the music alone. Even some of that suffered, some really awful cross over noise between stages.

Sorry to go off topic but went to Lolapalooza last year and had a completely opposite experience. Beer stalls everywhere, never waiting more than a minute, no limitations as to where you could drink (a "beer cage" sounds ridiculous! I wouldn't even bother!). Everybody was completely up for a laugh, made lots of new friends, the last night was insane! Being in the middle of the city there's literally everything at your disposal shop wise (not that we ever left!) and you could leave/reenter up to 5 times a day. No camping though (although personally i think that's a good thing). Weather was also beautiful for most of it. Some brilliant food stalls as well, not just fast food crap. Infinitely better organised and fun than Oxegen and will definitely be going back when I can afford it!

Could just be a better organised/better crowd festival than Coachella (not to bash coachella as i've never been but the way you describe it it just seems a bit boring).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Heading with three others leaving on Friday, if there are any Irish about and fancy a meet up or need advice drop me a pm.

To the rest We will report back on the best and worst ahead of the new festival season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Heading with three others leaving on Friday, if there are any Irish about and fancy a meet up or need advice drop me a pm.

To the rest We will report back on the best and worst ahead of the new festival season :)

you lucky bastards :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but went to Lolapalooza last year and had a completely opposite experience. Beer stalls everywhere, never waiting more than a minute, no limitations as to where you could drink (a "beer cage" sounds ridiculous! I wouldn't even bother!). Everybody was completely up for a laugh, made lots of new friends, the last night was insane! Being in the middle of the city there's literally everything at your disposal shop wise (not that we ever left!) and you could leave/reenter up to 5 times a day. No camping though (although personally i think that's a good thing). Weather was also beautiful for most of it. Some brilliant food stalls as well, not just fast food crap. Infinitely better organised and fun than Oxegen and will definitely be going back when I can afford it!

Could just be a better organised/better crowd festival than Coachella (not to bash coachella as i've never been but the way you describe it it just seems a bit boring).

Isn't lolapolooza on the east coast? cos we met many east coast americans who were as shocked and appalled as us at the state of coachella. I hope they've changed some of the stupid rules that were there when we visited, but I reckon it's still fairly stringent and sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

For anyone interested Youtube are hosting a live stream of the whole weekend of Coachella. Obviously a lot of the big acts have been left off the stream. They have a few good ones in there still though.

8 hour time difference between here and there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/coachella?feature=inp-lt-music

For anyone interested Youtube are hosting a live stream of the whole weekend of Coachella. Obviously a lot of the big acts have been left off the stream. They have a few good ones in there still though.

7 hour time difference between here and there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/coachella?feature=inp-lt-music

It's always class, have it in the background, perfect HD quality. Caught Neon Indian and now Yuck, WU LYF next.

• Advertisement

Any idea id they'll be putting up the performances afterwards? I really want to see Frank Ocean tonight but he's on in 2 hours and I haven't a hope of staying awake till then really.

Any idea id they'll be putting up the performances afterwards? I really want to see Frank Ocean tonight but he's on in 2 hours and I haven't a hope of staying awake till then really.

I doubt there'll be official Youtube videos but last year there was rips of all the big artists on various torrent sites. Frank Ocean is definitely big enough at the moment for at least 1 person to cap and upload.

I can't wait for him, a nice benefit of my crazy sleep schedule

Yea hopefully there'll be something up somewhere. I would usually be grand at staying up but I was out last night and I'm shattered all day. It's either a much needed sleep or Frank Ocean.

One last question. Will they have Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg's performance live on it would you say? It isn't listed on the schedule so I'm wondering. I think they're trying to get holograms of Tupac and Nate Dogg to perform as well. Should be interesting to see if they pull it off.

Im probably spoiling it by watching it since i'm heading to coachella next weekend but i think its just making me more excited :pac: great quality too watching thru my hd telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Im mad enough to be staying up for this alright. Just watched Arctic Monkeys and Pulp who were both excellent and waiting for The Black Keys which is the main reason im staying up. Brilliant band.

Saw some of Pulp, some of Madness, all of Frank Ocean and now Rapture.

Jarvis still has great charisma from the bit I saw. I love Frank Ocean but I thought he's a bit subdued live. Rapture sounding better than I thought, be good at Forbidden fruit.

Some service from Youtube/Coachella in fairness, quality is great, never lags and they've cool little inserts between shows on each channel.

I love Frank Ocean but I thought he's a bit subdued live.

That's just the way he is. He's the polar opposite of OFWGKTA. Plus his music isn't the type that you'd go bat **** crazy to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it's all being rebroadcast today. Wu Lyf and Madness on at the moment, Pulp starting soon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Black Keys on now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

just watched the hives, pretty good , but for fcuk sake the lead singing loves himself , after every songs he kept asking how much do you love me hahah ,

the weeknd on next should be good

caught the whole of frank ocean, im a big fan of him as a song writer etc but i thought he wasnt the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

A V A wrote: »
    just watched the hives, pretty good , but for fcuk sake the lead singing loves himself , after every songs he kept asking how much do you love me hahah ,

the weeknd on next should be good

caught the whole of frank ocean, im a big fan of him as a song writer etc but i thought he wasnt the best

I've been a fan of The Hives ever since i seen them supporting Muse back in Dublin Castle in 2002 and he was just the same back then,nothing has changed,but that's the beauty of it.They were and are still a brilliant live act and the Coachella set proves that.Can't wait for Justice now.They have to be good

Just watched Dre and Snoop's set there. Unreal. The Tupac hologram performance was amazing. I envy anyone going over to see it.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

will they live stream next week too?

Don't think so no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Just now I am watching Radiohead's Coachella 2012 concert in 3D & Surround sound ...god I love Technology..:D

Advertisement