Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of furniture from rented apartment

Options
  • 30-11-2011 9:32pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We rented an apartment recently that was very shabby (we had to move in a rush). We asked for new closets to be put in, and our landlord agreed. However, she left in the old closets also. The chest of drawers in my housemate's room was old and a bit broken, so she got her own. In addition, the living room furniture was horrible and really uncomfortable, so we bought some cheap comfortable stuff from Donedeal.ie (we confirmed this with our landlord beforehand).

The upshot of this is that we now have a couch, two armchairs, a closet and a chest of drawers stashed in various places in the small flat! We asked the landlord to remove the stuff when we got the new couches, and she agreed. But it's been 3 weeks and she hasn't done anything. We'll be leaving the new furniture in the house when we leave, so she's not losing anything. We can barely move around because of all the excess furniture. Is it our landlord's responsibility to get rid of them, or do we need to do it? I'd happily put everything online and get rid of it, but we'd surely need her permission first. I'm not sure how best to proceed :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A phone call as a reminder. Invite her down for a coffee. If that doesn't work, write a letter asking for the excess furniture to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It sounds like you need to set her a timeframe. I'd call her up (or use whatever communication method you have been) and say you're anxious to get the furniture removed as you can't swing a cat in the place, and that you'll throw them up on donedeal by Monday if she'd rather you do that. I'd make sure it comes across that you're doing her a favour rather than it being a threat to bin her furniture.

Only problem then is if you can't shift them on donedeal!! Then you'd need a skip or a removal van!

Perhaps just ask her what time she's coming at this weekend to collect the furniture and that you're available to let her in at x, y and z times.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jood10

I had a similar problem. I noticed that the mattress on the bed in my apartment needed to be replaced prior to me moving in so I agreed with my landlord that I would get it and deduct the money from the rent and all they would have to do is get someone to remove the old one along with a broken telly and other stuff left around, well fast forward 6 weeks I was still waiting for these to be collect so after numerous telephone calls and emails (which were not replied to) I flung everything out on the landing which I share with 3 other apartments and lo and behold everything was collected the following day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

Faith wrote: »
    We rented an apartment recently that was very shabby (we had to move in a rush). We asked for new closets to be put in, and our landlord agreed. However, she left in the old closets also. The chest of drawers in my housemate's room was old and a bit broken, so she got her own. In addition, the living room furniture was horrible and really uncomfortable, so we bought some cheap comfortable stuff from Donedeal.ie (we confirmed this with our landlord beforehand).

The upshot of this is that we now have a couch, two armchairs, a closet and a chest of drawers stashed in various places in the small flat! We asked the landlord to remove the stuff when we got the new couches, and she agreed. But it's been 3 weeks and she hasn't done anything. We'll be leaving the new furniture in the house when we leave, so she's not losing anything. We can barely move around because of all the excess furniture. Is it our landlord's responsibility to get rid of them, or do we need to do it? I'd happily put everything online and get rid of it, but we'd surely need her permission first. I'm not sure how best to proceed :).

If your landlord has said you can get rid of it and you dont want to wait for them to sort it out advertise freetradeireland.ie or similar.
    People take ANYTHING. People even take old broken furniture to cut up and throw in their wood burning stoves - i kid you not.

Advertisement