Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooded roads, city and county

Options
  • 30-11-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

bloody hell lads its pouring out there tonight, and where it got flooded two years ago (monivea road near greaney glass) has a lot of water on it. if it keeps raining like this we wont be able to go work.( mods I know this thread is for city but not many read county galway site). all the fields are water logged again like before.:eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've updated title for the city too as many drive back and forth.
    It's only a matter of time before it will start flooding on Curragh line. Water close to roads edge today.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

biko wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time before it will start flooding on Curragh line. Water close to roads edge today.

Take it back :(:( . I couldn't tolerate going through claregalway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

The slip road to the motorway at Doughiska was flooded when I passed there yesterday evening and I didn't even think the rain was that bad yesterday, not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

The top of the hill at parkmore is unreal . If I spat out the window of the car the fecking road would flood

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Work in Parkmore, have heard they have done work on that spot on the hill and it's yet to flood this week (that could be completely wrong also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

i agree with Biko, only a matter of time before curragh line is flooded.. tomorrow morning should be interesting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

hoody wrote: »
    Work in Parkmore, have heard they have done work on that spot on the hill and it's yet to flood this week (that could be completely wrong also)

That spot has flooded for years, it doesn't help that it's the lowest spot on the road and all the water has to drain in that direction.

biko wrote: »
    I've updated title for the city too as many drive back and forth.
    I wonder if the flood works in Claregalway that widened the bridge is pushing the flooding downriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Even in the worst of the weather over the last couple of years the Curragh Line remained passable.

I saw the corpo clearing drains in the city during the week. They did this last year, too, and the city itself saw very little flooding. Hopefully this year will be the same.

It will be interesting to see if the work done in Claregalway keeps the area from flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I wonder if the flood works in Claregalway that widened the bridge is pushing the flooding downriver.
    I passed through Claregalway yesterday afternoon and the river had burst its banks before it came near the bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

fifib wrote: »
    I passed through Claregalway yesterday afternoon and the river had burst its banks before it came near the bridge

Does anyone remember the aerial photo of Claregalway during the floods. Think it was in the advertiser. From what I recall, the bridge had little to do with the flooding at that stage as the river was backwatered from the Curragh line. Always reckoned those flood works in Claregalway would make no difference. Hopefully I'm wrong

Great map from 1808 showing the size of the Corofin turlough/lake before the river was deepened.

Unedited-Connaught-Map-795x1200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

antoobrien wrote: »
    That spot has flooded for years, it doesn't help that it's the lowest spot on the road and all the water has to drain in that direction.

Regular maintenance of the gullies and lack of sweeping is also an issue and the Cycle lane IMO is also part of the problem here as well. The Lane gathers grit and dirt and then when a heavy shower comes this gets washed down the drain gullies. If they removed the cycle lanes would have trucks and cars nearer to the kerb driving over it they would then grind down this dirt and grit into finer particles and would not get the same heavybuild up. i.e a sweeping effect. The other side of the roundabout dont get this same build up of dirt and grit on the side of the road as there are no cycle lanes. Removing the lanes would help - but it would still be prone to flooding due to its topography. The land falls from all directions to this spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

hoody wrote: »

That work (between the RAB and the racecourse gates) looks like it's aimed at putting in a proper bus shelter & parking for the buses as it's dangerous with them just sitting at the side of the road right after the RAB.
    Regular maintenance of the gullies and lack of sweeping is also an issue and the Cycle lane IMO is also part of the problem here as well. The Lane gathers grit and dirt and then when a heavy shower comes this gets washed down the drain gullies. If they removed the cycle lanes would have trucks and cars nearer to the kerb driving over it they would then grind down this dirt and grit into finer particles and would not get the same heavybuild up. i.e a sweeping effect. The other side of the roundabout dont get this same build up of dirt and grit on the side of the road as there are no cycle lanes. Removing the lanes would help - but it would still be prone to flooding due to its topography. The land falls from all directions to this spot.

It flooded before they upgraded the road, no amount of maintenance of the gullies or changes in the road layout will change the fact that it floods at the lowest point of the road.

The road falls from the hill in Hazelwood, down towards the RAB, then starts to rise back to the RAB - it's roughly level with the car park at the back of SAP. The easiest way to solve it would be an attenuation pond either side of the road, but I think the road is in a natural dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

the road at greaney glass is flood, there is now pot holes in it so im in first gear going through. but the bloody trucks are powering through and not slowing down when they see any thing smaller than them,:mad:then a big wave of water comes over you. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

antoobrien wrote: »
    That work (between the RAB and the racecourse gates) looks like it's aimed at putting in a proper bus shelter & parking for the buses as it's dangerous with them just sitting at the side of the road right after the RAB.

I meant the low spot on the road between the roundabout and the Tuam Road, rather than where the new bus area is going in. I heard drainage work took place in the past couple of weeks at that spot that always floods, and the situation had improved.

Anyone see the picture in the Connacht Tribune of flooding on Cross St in Loughrea, the stream that runs through the school grounds became blocked under the street and flooded the road, the council cleared it up in a few minutes though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Anyone got pics?

Advertisement