Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Music to interest a 5 year old

Options
  • 30-11-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I'd like my 5 year old to get an appreciation for Classical/Opera music, so I'd appreciate recommendations of same that you think might be a nice introduction to him. His grandmother was an opera singer, but it largely bypassed me so I'm hoping it will have skipped a generation !!! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

To be honest, to a five-year-old, it might be more important that you enjoy it. It might be worth taking a couple of music appreciation classes and building up a small CD collection of what you enjoy.

Still, there are some decent "best of" type CDs that might make a good starting point for both of you. Look for the Naxos label - they're rarely outstanding, but never bad, and as they're so cheap they have become the foundation stone of many large classical collections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 banana_brain

Not exactly classical but is essential for infant development!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeG-6bpeUkA

Not exactly classical but is essential for infant development!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeG-6bpeUkA

Er, you are aware that this is the Classical forum? Not that I've anything against metal personally, but it doesn't exactly fit here…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

To be honest, to a five-year-old, it might be more important that you enjoy it. It might be worth taking a couple of music appreciation classes and building up a small CD collection of what you enjoy.

Still, there are some decent "best of" type CDs that might make a good starting point for both of you. Look for the Naxos label - they're rarely outstanding, but never bad, and as they're so cheap they have become the foundation stone of many large classical collections.

Fair comment, I would normally have newstalk on in the car, but lately I do try to turn on Lyric FM and that usually goes ok. I was thinking of some of the Gilbert and Sullivan music as something light and fun, but I'll certainly have a look for the Naxos label, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Mumha wrote: »
    I'd like my 5 year old to get an appreciation for Classical/Opera music, so I'd appreciate recommendations of same that you think might be a nice introduction to him. His grandmother was an opera singer, but it largely bypassed me so I'm hoping it will have skipped a generation !!! Thanks.

Try watching these with him on YouTube, he may especially enjoy ones with an accompanying cartoon:

Bugs Bunny classical/opera cartoons
    Grieg "Peer Gynt" (esp. "In The Hall of the Mountain King", "Morning Mood")
    Prokofiev "Peter & The Wolf" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILI3s7Wonvg
    Disney's "Fantasia" movies
    Verdi "Anvil Chorus" from "Il trovatore"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 banana_brain

Er, you are aware that this is the Classical forum? Not that I've anything against metal personally, but it doesn't exactly fit here…

METAL FITS EVERYWHERE!!! Just thought I'd correct you :)

mambo wrote: »

Try watching these with him on YouTube, he may especially enjoy ones with an accompanying cartoon:

Bugs Bunny classical/opera cartoons
    Grieg "Peer Gynt" (esp. "In The Hall of the Mountain King", "Morning Mood")
    Prokofiev "Peter & The Wolf" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILI3s7Wonvg
    Disney's "Fantasia" movies
    Verdi "Anvil Chorus" from "Il trovatore"

This is an excellent suggestion. It worked for me, anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

METAL FITS EVERYWHERE!!! Just thought I'd correct you :)

No it doesn't!!!! Just thought I'd uncorrect you..

Sooo anyway,, try this version of peter and the wolf also..

Also have a look at the film Les Choristes .. some good music and good clean fun,, he might be a little young though... if you get satellite check out animation show Wonderpets, every thing is sung throughout..( a bit tiring on the ear though for an adult anyway)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I think the Carnival of the Animals by Saint Saens would be suitable for children of all ages. Each piece describes a different animal (also includes fossils etc) and I always loved it. There's a narrated version too which introduces each piece humourously.

Also I think Debussy's music for solo piano would be very suitable. I always thought they had a childlike joie de vivre about them. His children's corner suite is probably a good place to start, for obvious reasons!

Always loved the Goliwog's cakewalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would definately agree with getting him to watch tv shows and music with classical music in it. Kids at that are don't have a massive interest in music so you kind of have to give it to him wrapped in something else. I know that a lot of the movies I watched as a kid helped to shape my taste in music for instance I recently watched 'look who's talking'' which was one of my favourite movies as a kid and unbeknownst to myself I had almost the entire soundtrack in my music collection!

Also is there an instrument that he is interested in learning to play? This also may spark an interest in classical as it is a big part of it, especially when learning music theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

I was brought up by people who were very passionate about the Arts, particularly classical music. I remember two things in particular that really engaged me when I was between the ages of about 4 and 10; Firstly, I was taken to see Fantasia in the cinema (the first film, it was a limited re-release) which I really loved, and re-watched all the time at home.

The other thing was the music box magazine, that was released once a month in the 90s (I think they're still available online). Each magazine and cd focused on a particular classical work, and had a themed story featuring the same two characters, and incorporated the themes of the featured piece of music. It was really engaging and I remember learning so much about music, composers and their lives. Other than that, having Lyric FM playing in the background for a while each day will really help to familiarize him with classical music.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 silverhare

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Karl Orff or Benjamin Britten.

I'm not a fan of Britten or the english school myself, but he did some wonderful pieces for children which introduce the orchestral instruments and sections (Tubby the Tuba springs to mind instantly).

Orff's pieces can be incredibly dramatic, but again, he has a suite or two devoted to the development of young ears (his percussion heavy arrangements are particularly popular with young children).

For a little drama, the ever popular Carmina Burana is worth investigating. I know I loved it when I was five (and still do!) because of the lively dances.

:D

Advertisement