Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Star Trek Captain

Options
  • 30-11-2011 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Easy one for me...

Jean-Luc Picard :)

Who is your favourite Star Trek Captain? 51 votes

James T. Kirk
    0% 0 votes
    Jean-Luc Picard
    15% 8 votes
    Benjamin Sisko
    58% 30 votes
    Kathryn Janeway
    17% 9 votes
    Jonathan Archer
    7% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have kirk in a different era to the rest. hes out there on his own.

sisko is the best of the rest though. the character is more real or some ****. he has an evil side too where he just gets **** done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Captain Chapman

Sisko

Why? because I simply admire his qualities as a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Captain Christopher Pike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

captain spock

a logical choice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As i said in a similar thread before, Picard was the better Captain. But Sisko was a better General, which is what i saw him as in DS9.

So Picard i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Kirk by a mile, no PC or PD crap from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Archer, he paved the way for the others, without Archer there would be no Kirk, Picard or Sisko, he was the first captain to go out there and explore the universe, establish diplomatic ties with different alien races and broker successfully in intergalactic politics (if he wasn't successful then the Fed would have collapsed, he must have done something right). So Archer is the best because all the other captains owe their existences (in the timeline) and consequently their future success to him. In this way he is accountable for their achievements so he is the sum of Picard, Kirk and Sisko combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kirk was a sexist womanising bastard, and we loved him for that :D Great for his era, not for now.

The earth could blow up, but Picard would always find something to save it.

Janeway went from one f**k up to another. It was the borg that got them home, not her :P

Archers character lacked substance.

Sisko had some good days, and some bad days, and he'd break rules to save his people. For this, I picked Sisko.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

Sisko: Tough situation with a station that wasn't his and numerous political issues surrounding him. Inspired loyalty from two seperate crews. Negotiated with a truly alien race in the Prophets. Excellent war time leader who wasn't afraid to make tough choices. Intimidated Worf!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Picard, without a doubt. He almost had a regal presence that demanded respect. He was class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Captain Kirk NO DOUBT OF THAT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

*palmface*

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I think Picard is a great Captain. The Next Generation would not have been the same without him. I think Jellico deserves a mention too. His approach was very different. But he did get things done. Besides we only got to see him for two episodes.

Sisko was a veteran with serious untreated PTSD, anger management issues and at times raving egomania. Good for a war maybe but too dangerous to be in charge after that! (Don't blame me! Watch DS9 again, all those traits are there!)

Janeway was your typical middle management type. I think there was potential there but inconsistent writing scuppered any real character development.

Archer was too wishy washy to be the first great explorer. It was hard to take him seriously as he was far too laid back for someone going out into the great unknown.

Someone mentioned Pike. I had 'The Cage' on video years ago and it's an interesting episode. I think Pike was a bit dull though. But overall a rather different introduction.

But for me, it has to be Kirk. I'm not sure if people are basing Kirk solely on the movies (or reboot) but I grew up with TOS and bar a couple of silly episodes, it totally holds up. Considering it's over forty year old. It's pretty damn amazing. And so is Kirk. Outwitting Klingons, impersonating Romulans (before it was fashionable!), defeating aliens with just a karate chop and getting the girl every time. Who can top that! If you haven't watched TOS yet, make some time and do so. You'll be surprised.

Apolloyon wrote: »
    I think Picard is a great Captain. The Next Generation would not have been the same without him. I think Jellico deserves a mention too. His approach was very different. But he did get things done. Besides we only got to see him for two episodes.

Sisko was a veteran with serious untreated PTSD, anger management issues and at times raving egomania. Good for a war maybe but too dangerous to be in charge after that! (Don't blame me! Watch DS9 again, all those traits are there!)

Janeway was your typical middle management type. I think there was potential there but inconsistent writing scuppered any real character development.

Archer was too wishy washy to be the first great explorer. It was hard to take him seriously as he was far too laid back for someone going out into the great unknown.

Someone mentioned Pike. I had 'The Cage' on video years ago and it's an interesting episode. I think Pike was a bit dull though. But overall a rather different introduction.

But for me, it has to be Kirk. I'm not sure if people are basing Kirk solely on the movies (or reboot) but I grew up with TOS and bar a couple of silly episodes, it totally holds up. Considering it's over forty year old. It's pretty damn amazing. And so is Kirk. Outwitting Klingons, impersonating Romulans (before it was fashionable!), defeating aliens with just a karate chop and getting the girl every time. Who can top that! If you haven't watched TOS yet, make some time and do so. You'll be surprised.

Jellico got things done for sure, assways! He exacerbated tensions with the Cardassians when it wasn't in his interests to do so, he was terrible diplomat and a micro manager. This is the problem, humans think that the human who broadcasts that they get things done is actually getting things done or getting things done well or following the correct path to getting the right things done. Micro management is the perfect way of saying "I get things done" but it also destroys creativity (which relies on daydreaming and idleness combined with hard work), innovation which involves not getting results for a while, experimentation and just letting people take responsibility for their own work, which when they do, they tend to produce better results etc. Hitler was a micro manager and he lost the war. Picard was the man and ten times the man that Jellico was. Kirk was also 7 times the man Jellico was. No Godel's law I don't care!

As for Janeway, nail on the head, middle management type, she was terrible and not fit to be a captain, you need someone of Kirk or Picard's depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Apolloyon wrote: »
    In the first 2 seasons he was (the charicter was wooden) but by season 4 he hardered up, Archer evolved from going out making friends/exploring into battle-worn, standing up against the Vulcans for the right to be out there.
    No prime directive, the episope S3 'Damage' were they attack & steal the warp-coil from another ship leaving it stranded is so un-startrek like.

So it's like there's two Archers:
    1. naive, inexperienced, enthusiastic & under the Vulcan-watchfull eye, like a child with a new puppy.
    2. A strong captin that was lost crew, took actions against his own conscience, willing to sacrafice crew and stand against allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Sisko, strangely I don't like him in the DS9 pilot and I think it's because of the scenes between Sisko and Picard.

All the other captains have their pluses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Speaking of captains, saw this posted over on one of the AH subforums...

oq966t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sisko. He hit Q. Picard never hit Q. :)

Cossax wrote: »

oq966t.jpg

Patrick Stewart's not looking bad for someone his age

• Advertisement

Man's in his 70's and can look like he's in his 50's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Cossax wrote: »

oq966t.jpg

Janeways tits were never that big on the show and agreed Stewart is in great nick for an ol lad, I guess he makes it so:)

Janeways tits were never that big on the show and agreed Stewart is in great nick for an ol lad, I guess he makes it so:)

Looked a reasonable size in that episode with the macroviruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Janeway back in the day ....would ya?

Vego wrote: »
    Janeway back in the day ....would ya?

As long as she didn't talk!

Its funny because when he started TNG he looked like an older 40 something but he's had backhanded luck in that he hasn't aged much in the past 24 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its funny because when he started TNG he looked like an older 40 something but he's had backhanded luck in that he hasn't aged much in the past 24 years.

The man looks 30 years his junior, he quite clearly keeps himself in shape.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The man looks 30 years his junior, he quite clearly keeps himself in shape.

It's all those naked Betazoids weddings that make him stay in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Ever see Stewart in 'Extras' -Picard Productions sooo funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement