Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I Break The Building's Intercom?

• 30-11-2011 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

So, I guess my neighbours are a bunch of drunken fools....because about once a week someone will press the button on the intercom at the door of my building at 1-3am.

It happened last night - the buzzer rang waking my wife and I - and I sprinted outside in the nude to give a nice verbal beat down to the fool who rang it. Sure enough, some retarded looking, scared, apologetic lad was standing there. Said he meant to buzz '#3' instead.

His friend had unlocked the door for him and he continued on his way. Then, in my frustration, I tried to pull off the button to ring my particular apartment - then I tried to pull off the whole thing when that didn't work. Then I smacked it pretty hard....but nothing seemed to make a difference.

Then, I went back inside, and pulled the plastic phone-like device off my wall - inside were a lot of wires attached to screws. So, I undid a few of them. Now - my buzzer doesn't work! Problem solved. I went back to bed.

But now today, I'm pretty sure the whole buzzer system for the whole building is broken. I just heard someone banging on the door and calling out for their friend to 'let them in'.

So, my question for AH is - Why don't they have an 'off' switch on these building intercoms? Also, should I try to fix it/reattach my wires? Or just say screw it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Robdude wrote: »
    So, I guess my neighbours are a bunch of drunken fools....because about once a week someone will press the button on the intercom at the door of my building at 1-3am.

It happened last night - the buzzer rang waking my wife and I - and I sprinted outside in the nude to give a nice verbal beat down to the fool who rang it. Sure enough, some retarded looking, scared, apologetic lad was standing there. Said he meant to buzz '#3' instead.

His friend had unlocked the door for him and he continued on his way. Then, in my frustration, I tried to pull off the button to ring my particular apartment - then I tried to pull off the whole thing when that didn't work. Then I smacked it pretty hard....but nothing seemed to make a difference.

Then, I went back inside, and pulled the plastic phone-like device off my wall - inside were a lot of wires attached to screws. So, I undid a few of them. Now - my buzzer doesn't work! Problem solved. I went back to bed.

But now today, I'm pretty sure the whole buzzer system for the whole building is broken. I just heard someone banging on the door and calling out for their friend to 'let them in'.

So, my question for AH is - Why don't they have an 'off' switch on these building intercoms? Also, should I try to fix it/reattach my wires? Or just say screw it?

no you didn't. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

Sorry Robe i did not quite hear you.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Biscuits16

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Ghandee wrote: »

I most certainly did.

I live in the garden flat - so even though we have a buzzer at the main door, I have my own entrance. I went out my entrance and up the stairs to see who was there.

buzzer.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

buzzer.png

I've seen this before.
    You need to cut the red wire dude or the whole thing'll blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

buzzer.png

It'll polish out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

WO WAIT I MEANT THE GREEN WI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thanks a flippin bunch OP!! I got drenched waiting to get in.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I don't suppose your apartments have cameras that would have caught your naked rampage, which lets not forget includes indecently exposing yourself to in your own words a retarded looking lad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

mackg wrote: »
    I don't suppose your apartments have cameras that would have caught your naked rampage, which lets not forget includes indecently exposing yourself to in your own words a retarded looking lad?

are you saying pics or gtfo? you want to see a naked man? i hear the internet is good for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

buzzer.png

Yeah?

Well here's a picture of me enjoying a picnic!

None that I know of.

Certainly, if there is a fire - it's not illegal to exit the building in the manor you sleep, is it?

I naturally assumed it was a life or death situation when someone rang my buzzer at 2am, wouldn't you?

But yeah - I'm just waiting for the landlord to show up and try to fine me for it now, lol.

None that I know of.

Certainly, if there is a fire - it's not illegal to exit the building in the manor you sleep, is it?

I naturally assumed it was a life or death situation when someone rang my buzzer at 2am, wouldn't you?

But yeah - I'm just waiting for the landlord to show up and try to fine me for it now, lol.

Nope, I'd assume it's someone ringing the wrong buzzer. as with my fire alarm going off last night, not for one second did I assume it was an actual fire :D

Nope, I'd assume it's someone ringing the wrong buzzer. as with my fire alarm going off last night, not for one second did I assume it was an actual fire :D

Why don't they have an off switch? I can't understand why you'd want to give everyone in the world the ability to wake you up at all hours of the night.

That's just poor design. I guess I need to move into a more expensive building, I'm starting to think I'm the only one with a job. There is no way these people are going to work in the morning - so I guess 2 or 3am doesn't seem very late?

Yeah?

Well here's a picture of me enjoying a picnic!

Lovely day for a picnic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

are you saying pics or gtfo? you want to see a naked man? i hear the internet is good for that.

You hear? Who are you trying to kid? :P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

OP, are you Mikey Graham?

Why don't they have an off switch? I can't understand why you'd want to give everyone in the world the ability to wake you up at all hours of the night.

That's just poor design. I guess I need to move into a more expensive building, I'm starting to think I'm the only one with a job. There is no way these people are going to work in the morning - so I guess 2 or 3am doesn't seem very late?

Yes, poor design, but I don't think moving to a more expensive building would make a difference.

You're probably right about them not going to work in the morning to be fair, but what difference does that make? they could work nights... they may be unemployed, but what's your point?

You hear? Who are you trying to kid? :P:pac:

Nobody. I prefer girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I most certainly did.

I live in the garden flat - so even though we have a buzzer at the main door, I have my own entrance. I went out my entrance and up the stairs to see who was there.

I'm a bit confused, if you have your own entrance, do you not have a separate buzzer?

• Advertisement

OP, are you Mikey Graham?

If he is seeing him in the nude would be enough to scare anyone.:p

Yes, poor design, but I don't think moving to a more expensive building would make a difference.

You're probably right about them not going to work in the morning to be fair, but what difference does that make? they could work nights... they may be unemployed, but what's your point?

Nobody. I prefer girls

Even if they worked some odd-late-night hours, they'd be coming *home* at 2am or 3am. And they could do so without using the buzzer at all. And without mistakenly ringing the wrong one, waking me up.

No, these people are having guests over/small parties on week-nights. The buzzer is only used by people who don't live in the building. I'm assuming some pub near by must close and then more of them come over or something similar. I know from the large number of empty beer cans that appear the next morning after these incidents that it's far more than just someone working nights.

Personally, I couldn't care less if someone is unemployed. I just start to care when it interferes with my ability to sleep and go to work in the morning.

Being loud is one thing, and I don't like that either. But ringing my buzzer....that's just plain wrong.

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused, if you have your own entrance, do you not have a separate buzzer?

Nah - my buzzer is at the main door along with everyone else's. It does seem like an odd layout to me, but it's how it is.

Even if they worked some odd-late-night hours, they'd be coming *home* at 2am or 3am. And they could do so without using the buzzer at all. And without mistakenly ringing the wrong one, waking me up.

No, these people are having guests over/small parties on week-nights. The buzzer is only used by people who don't live in the building. I'm assuming some pub near by must close and then more of them come over or something similar. I know from the large number of empty beer cans that appear the next morning after these incidents that it's far more than just someone working nights.

Personally, I couldn't care less if someone is unemployed. I just start to care when it interferes with my ability to sleep and go to work in the morning.

Being loud is one thing, and I don't like that either. But ringing my buzzer....that's just plain wrong.

ok so if this is a regular occurrence you need to have a word with your neighbours, or put up a sign asking people to make sure they ring the right buzzer.

Nah - my buzzer is at the main door along with everyone else's. It does seem like an odd layout to me, but it's how it is.

If you don't need it just leave it disconnected. It would drive anyone mad being woke all the time.
    If people are coming back late at night they should just phone each other and not use the buzzer.

ok so if this is a regular occurrence you need to have a word with your neighbours, or put up a sign asking people to make sure they ring the right buzzer.

Well, like I said - I honestly think I broke it for everyone; not just me. :)

Good times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I had a similar story once. Minus the naked rampage. And minus the beating the shìt out of everyone else's buzzer. Okay, so I just disconnected the handset in my apartment. Best thing I ever did to that place though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It would be very simple once you access the intercom wiring at your handset to fit a switch to the circuit that you could simply turn off at night. This would also be fully reversible (if you dont own the place).

Advertisement