Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new Modem/router....Suggestions please?

• 30-11-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya Folks!
    I need to replace my P.O.S Netopia 3347 router as it is wrecking my head and is needing to be restarted more and more often due to connectivity issues.
    Is there any consensus on what is currently the best ADSL2+ modem out there?
    I need wifi and good port forwarding and IP pass through capabilities(Which the netopia is crap for!!! ;) )
    Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated folks ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

banie01 wrote: »
    Hiya Folks!
    I need to replace my P.O.S Netopia 3347 router as it is wrecking my head and is needing to be restarted more and more often due to connectivity issues.
    Is there any consensus on what is currently the best ADSL2+ modem out there?
    I need wifi and good port forwarding and IP pass through capabilities(Which the netopia is crap for!!! ;) )
    Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated folks ;)

Netgear, Linksys, TP Link are all decent. One thing though are you sure the problems your facing arn't all down to a dodgy line? You may need to get Eircom to lower your line speed incase its currently at too high a profile than your line supports

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

yoyo wrote: »
    Netgear, Linksys, TP Link are all decent. One thing though are you sure the problems your facing arn't all down to a dodgy line? You may need to get Eircom to lower your line speed incase its currently at too high a profile than your line supports

Nick

The line is fine The attenuation is actually great :)
    Just the router is a POS for some of the things i want use it for and even set up for IP passthrough it just stalls at the web facing router log in rather than passing thru to the assigned port IP( its a linux box I want using my web IP)Even with everything setup. IP passthrough and so on it just opens my router rather than the assigned device.
    And while I am well used to the Netopia webif, its a fiddly and clunky config compared to others I've seen.
    Basically i just want to know whats out there and whats recommended :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Hi i have had a netgear dg834pn for years and found it a doddle, they are still available, only problem is with a dyndns you can only use one unless you hack router. i am on the look out as well as i may have bricked mine, own fault, i am tempted to get same but fancy one that can do no ip and others, did you buy yet?

gbc

Advertisement