Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got one of these USB2.0 Video Grabbers?

Options
  • 30-11-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a USB device for transferring component/S-video input to my laptop. I can get sound on it alright, but only either a completely black or completely white screen with a bit of noise at the bottom of the screen. It's a "non-brand" one i.e. it's only labelled as " USB2.0 Video Grabber" (same as picture below, but without branding).

USB_video_grabber.JPG

Does anyone here have one running succesfully on Windows 7 64-bit OR XP? I have tried it on both. I have also downloaded 3 different flavours of drivers for it (including the 64-bit ones that come on the mini-cd with the device).

The supplied software is "Honestech VHS to DVD 2.5 SE". I have also tried VLC but get the same results. I have tried changing the input format in the software to "PAL_I" (which should work), but have tried all the other possible settings too (SECAM, NTSC).

I am using a scart lead to component lead from the video cassette player. I have also tried a component to S-video converter lead on the yellow (video) output.

If you have one and have got it working I would be interested to know what O/S you are using, I you use any 3rd party drivers/software and what else I could try? Could just be a faulty unit I suppose - but I'd like to find a solution if there is one!? :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Looks like the EasyCap device I have.
    I use VirtualDUb and/or Virtual VCR.

Try different preview/overlay in VirtualDub see if it helps the preview screen.

Most people I read about use VirtualDub for capturing. It seems old but still half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Thanks for the tips!

I tried both of those programs (look quite good!)

Both have the same results as the supplied Honestech program though, so I'd say the problem might be narrowing down to the driver?

I will try to find the "easy-cap" drivers on the net - the hardware seems to be the same.

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 on the laptop running 64-bit Win7. Probably a long way off from when the drivers were released, although they are supposed to support this O/S.

I think I should have some of these drivers on my laptop at home.
    Will be their next week I can upload them for you so you can give them a try ?

Do you have access to linux at all ?
    Would be easier to find the exact chipset used in your USB device, there has been a few revisions with different hardware already.

Hi - that'd be sweet!

I don't have Linux on it. I could use a USB/DVD bootable Linux distro maybe - would that give the info needed?

Yeah boot the linux CD/DVD then plug in the USB device.
    Open a terminal and run "lsusb" without the quotations.

Then can you post what it brings up here ?

• Advertisement

I used "Damn Small Linux" running off a USB stick.

For "lsusb" I got nothing listed - straight back to the prompt!

I tried "lspci" just to see what happened - it listed all components expected on the laptop - the only ones that mentioned USB were:

00.1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown Device 3b3c (rev 06)
    and
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown Device 3b34 (rev 06)

Dunno if this tells you anything? I will PM you & maybe you could zip the drivers & email them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Moogyariane

Hi guys, did someone got a good result, i have the same device, wrking fine on win7 32 bits, but not on win7 64bits, even with the lastest drive, any idea? Tx for any help

I still have Win 7 (64 bit) & XP - does your device work in XP? If so, could you zip the drivers & PM/post them here?

I never did get it working - didn't have time to chase it up for a finish, although you can see above that Ste- was quite helpful and has/had the same type of thing (he was using the "Syntek" version, but I don't know if it's the same?). Maybe he might be able to help out if he can find the driver CD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Only got around to installing the driver and software today but cant make head nor tails of it.

When I played the video and hit the record button on the honestech an option popped up and when ok is clicked “Drive is not ready. Retry?” comes up.

Also only one lead goes into the VCR which is the yellow one.

Anyone?!

Advertisement