Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy Corn Syrup in Ireland?

Options
  • 01-12-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I went to Fallon & Byrnes, I tried Donnybrook Fair, I went to some Asian superstores, I've checked out all the usual grocery stores and cannot find this anywhere. Golden Syrup, fructose or liquid glucose will not substitute, it must be Corn Syrup. (light clear coloured) I hear there's a brand called Karo but I cant find it. Why is it so hard to find in Ireland, is there some reason it isn't readily available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Poutbutton wrote: »
    I went to Fallon & Byrnes, I tried Donnybrook Fair, I went to some Asian superstores, I've checked out all the usual grocery stores and cannot find this anywhere. Golden Syrup, fructose or liquid glucose will not substitute, it must be Corn Syrup. (light clear coloured) I hear there's a brand called Karo but I cant find it. Why is it so hard to find in Ireland, is there some reason it isn't readily available?

I know you've been there but I've seen it in Fallon & Byrne before, definitely. Give Avoca a try too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I did see it in Fallon & Byrne just inside the door as part of their thanksgiving display i guess, this was about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Thanks, I was in there today & they did say it should be there, an order was expected but the 2 girls I spoke with didn't know when it might come in. I'll go back & check next week. Looked at Avoca online so far no corn syrup showed up on their product search.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

i'll keep an eye out and if I see it anywhere I'll post here. I'd say it's hard to find because Irish people just don't use it very much, it's more an american ingredient I'd think.
    We'd use Golden syrup, maybe you could use that as a substitute?

*woops you said it wouldn't!

Thanks Kerash that would be great. No the golden syrup is totally no good this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I think I saw it in Flemings in Dundrum. bit I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

It's available at americanfood.ie.

FTGFOP wrote: »
    It's available at americanfood.ie.

Thank you so much 2 bottles ordered! :D

Just a note to say I got the corn syrup 3 days after ordering it from www.americanfoods.ie I believe it comes from their company in Blackrock, Co Dublin, Very grateful for the Link. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I was just wondering what the differences between Karo light and Golden syrup are. They also sell a less refined called Karo dark. The light is used in candies, fudge and breads. They used to put it in infant formulas. How do you use Golden syrup? I haven't seen it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Q. Do any of Karo's Corn Syrup products used in baking that are sold in retail stores contain high fructose corn syrup?

A. No. When Karo was first introduced in 1902, it contained 0 grams of high fructose corn syrup. Like the original, all Karo Corn Syrup products used in baking that you can purchase today contain 0 grams of high fructose corn syrup. Karo will never add high fructose corn syrup to current consumer products or introduce new corn syrup products containing high fructose corn syrup.

http://www.karosyrup.com/faq.html

Advertisement