Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on returning faulty backpack

Options
  • 01-12-2011 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Im writing this here just looking for advice as im unsure of my rights in this situation.

Basically I bought a 70litre backpack with attached daypack in a camping shop in Dublin 3 months ago 2 days prior to a world trip I was going on with my girlfriend. I was encouraged by the guy in the shop to go for the better known brand as it was more comfortable and had better stitching etc. I paid €110 altogether rather than €70 for the cheaper bag.
    About a week into the trip I noticed a hole in the stitching about 3 inches long at the front of my main bag so you cud basically see into the inside of it so I had to stitch it up to prevent it getting worse. A few weeks later I noticed the back of the daypack had torn in a similar way. Finally about 3 weeks ago I went to close the strap around my waist and it just broke apart in my hands so I had to tie it in a knot for the final 2 weeks of my trip. I never had the bag so full it felt like it was going to burst and in the first week when the initial tear happened the bag was only about 2/3 full.

I am back 4 days now and will be going into the shop next week to complain and just want to know am I entitled to anything? I still have the receipt and obviously could not return it when I first noticed the tear as I was in Australia. Surely a bag for round the world travel should hold up better than this(In fact my girlfriends bag, that was half the price of mine, is still in perfect condition).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

i dont know but alot of the bigger named brands offer a good warenty or even a lifetime warrenty.what was yours???i dont mean to sound silly but i cant remember the name to mind at the moment but basically bag was 2years old never bothered going to the shop send it to the manufacturer and they send me out the equivilent bag that was out at the time.i cant remember brand name as i havnt used in about 3-4 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Obviously you couldn't return the bag while on the trip, but the subsequent wear & tear on the bag will make things tougher.

However, the well-known luggage brands generally take their product quality quite seriously, so if you don't get anywhere with the shop, then I'd contact the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If the "guy in the shop" was made aware that the backpack was being purchased for a round the world trip and recommended a particular product for that purpose, that is a strong support for any claim OP might make. Wear and tear should not really be an impediment to a claim, unless it is excessive to the extent that it looks as if the backback was handled unreasonably roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

Dudara, surely a €110 rucksack is made to last through the wear and tear or longer than 3 months of travelling. God knows what I would have been left with if I had been travelling for a year!

Im gonna ring the shop before going in just to suss out their stance and if I have no joy ill contact the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

boccers wrote: »
    Im gonna ring the shop before going in just to suss out their stance and if I have no joy ill contact the manufacturer.

A reasonable strategy.

But do remember that is the retailer that you made a contract with, and the manufacturer has no obligation to you. Many of the more reputable manufacturers will sort out problems because they value their good name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

boccers wrote: »
    Dudara, surely a €110 rucksack is made to last through the wear and tear or longer than 3 months of travelling. God knows what I would have been left with if I had been travelling for a year!

I completely agree. I do think that there should be no real issue. Hopefully you have resolution with a call to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

i know it goes against consumer law but dudora has a point,as i said i went through the manufacturer and got a replacement bag to equivelent that was out at the time, they do have a high standard of quality and im sure theres not much of an issue here.unless you are looking for a refund....jst giving abit of advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Is the backpack a Jansport by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You could have a look on the manufacturers website first to see what gaurantees they offer on their various goods.

For example, here's an example for a 70 litre rucksack with day pack by Highlander:

http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/partnumber.asp?cid=29635&pnid=302113

It doesn't show the warranty there, but it allows you to send an enquiry. They mention standards, but not warranty times.

Most maufacturers probably have similar details, which may be worth knowing before you go back to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

The rucksack is a Caribee Akula 75 litre. I think there could be a lifetime or 10 year guarantee but im going to try the shop first anyway and then go through the manufacturer after that if I have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Caribee warranty details here:

http://www.caribee.com/warranty.php

3 years as long as it isn't abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

You really shouldn't have a problem here under basic consumer law.

The product is faulty-either not fit for its purpose or not of merchandable quality

You are entitled to a refund/replacement/repair

http://www.nca.ie/nca/faultygoods

Shop should really help you out as they'll just return it to the manufacturer with no loss to them.

If you have no luck with shop or manufacturer, I imagine it would be a very strightforward case for the Small claims Court

www.courts.ie

It really helps to go in armed with knowledge about your rights but don;t necessarily go in all guns blazing - just expect your rights as a minimum!

I train people in the area of customer care and the number of people who have worked in retail who don't actually know the law and the customers rights is unbelieveable! And the number of companies that have policies in direct contravention of the law is frightening!

Hope that helps

Advertisement