Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low Key baby photos with limited equipment??

• 01-12-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My brother in law and his better half have just had a baby boy and want me to take some nice photos of him. I normally take landscape photos so potraits are not something I have ever done before.

Anyway they dont really have anything in mind but I do. I was thinking of a low key shot like this.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwilding/4184193019/

My question is how would you go about doing a shot like this:confused: I have a DSLR Canon 450D with a 50mm 1.8 and a 28-135, I also have a flash (manual only). I can get my hands on an off camera sender and receiver for the flash if needs be.

Also if anyone has any other ideas that might be simple and have nice results for a newborn baby boy I am open to suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Can anyone help??? I have until Sunday and I would like to get a bit of practice in before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

First you need to define the characteristics of low key. Ie... The majority of the image should be very dark (if not black) tones with small amounts of very bright contrasting tones.

The easiest way to do this to get the light coming in from a different angle than the camera axis. Use a dark or black background and use a small light source on the subject. Try and get the light into a small pool using a snoot.

Good luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Cheers, Looking for something like this shot
    baby-feet.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I think you're referring to the softness of the shadows. Use a larger light source. Ie, A softbox. If you don't have one then you can bounce the light from your flash off a large white card or bright wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

or just use natural diffused light coming from a window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement