Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with a Website Designer

Options
  • 01-12-2011 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

My website is on the internet but very rarely can it be found. I know it needs a lot of search engine optimisation work done, google ad words etc. but I don't want my website designer to do any of it as I feel the service I received off this person was rubbish and I know that I would be wasting my money if I paid this person to do SEO work.!
    But this person has full control over the website I cannot alter it in any way without contacting her and she registered the domain name. Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to have full control of the website so I can make changes to it? I have no Contract with the designer and they have been paid for the website ( I received a grant to pay for the website and the grant office has the invoice)
    I have asked if I can have control of the website so I can alter it myself but there has been no word back at all from the designer.!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Hopefully your web designer registered your site in your name and not their own. If so just contact the website hosting company and get your login details.

You can check here to see who the site is registered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

If it says person is that who it is registered to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I keep ownership of all code until all invoices are paid, is this possibly the case here?
    Take a look at the contract, ownership should be clearly stated here. If not then you surely own the location of the code (hosted webspace), check your invoices .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

If you've paid in full then that designer needs to ensure that the domain name is your name and give you access to the hosting. You may want to ensure the hosting is your own. You may need to pay that person to move the site but that would be a fair exchange.

You just need to put your foot down and get all these items into your own name.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Biggest lesson in any web development is keep your hosting and your developing with two seperate companies. Give your develope access to your hosting by all means but retain access and backups yourself so no dispute with a developer can lead to hosting issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement