Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fundraiser for UCD Bum

Options
  • 01-12-2011 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Lots of UCD Societies are always holding fundraiser's for various causes, which is great, but why don't we hold one for the UCD Bum? Get him some new clothes, a haircut, a shelter(presuming he doesn't have one?) etc! He's part of the furniture at this stage in UCD and its a shame nobody (that I know of) has ever really acknowledged it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Anyone know the story with Mr. Bum? I started UCD in 2000 and he was a regular fixture on campus by then. So many rumours going around about him- he was a high flying superstar professor of something or other but didn't get the promotion he expected/ found his missus in bed with a student etc and had a breakdown. I'm sure there's a million and one other theories, but I presume the reality is a tad more mundance. So, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I personally prefer the name Old Man Belfield. The most widely spread rumour concerning him is that he once stopped a girl from being raped, and as such, is given food and accommodation from UCD - of course I don't know if any of that is true or not.

What I do know however, is that a friend of mine who lived in Glenomena last year says he has a little house somewhere around the back where NovaUCD is, and she saw him one time go in with a bag of shopping and stuff.

To me he'll always be a fixture of the campus, and I'm only a 2nd year.
    He does seem elderly enough, but not ancient. I'm sure he'll be around for a much longer time, and more than likely stay in UCD until the end of his days, unless he gets really ill and has to go to a home or something.
    I can imagine if he died or anything, UCD would make a bit of a deal about it, even if it was just the student newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

He gets free food, but leaves the rubbish on tables without cleaning up after himself. He, along with the others who do that, are animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Einhard wrote: »
    Anyone know the story with Mr. Bum? I started UCD in 2000 and he was a regular fixture on campus by then. So many rumours going around about him- he was a high flying superstar professor of something or other

The professor story is probably the closest to the truth. He wasn't a 'superstar' professor as such though. He was just a fairly regular English professor who happened to be a very good lecturer. For some reason or other (I'd say he's the only one who knows why) he suffered a breakdown of some sorts. He tried coming back on a couple of occasions but just wasn't up to it apparently and it gradually just got worse from there.

Very sad story.

He gets free food, but leaves the rubbish on tables without cleaning up after himself. He, along with the others who do that, are animals.

I used to work in a fast food place and this was one of the reasons I ended up quitting. Nothing pissed me off more than people who left their dirty napkins and wrappers lying around and expected someone else to clean up for them.

• Advertisement

The professor story is probably the closest to the truth. He wasn't a 'superstar' professor as such though. He was just a fairly regular English professor who happened to be a very good lecturer. For some reason or other (I'd say he's the only one who knows why) he suffered a breakdown of some sorts. He tried coming back on a couple of occasions but just wasn't up to it apparently and it gradually just got worse from there.

Very sad story.

Wow... is that actually true?

Wow... is that actually true?

I heard it off 2 different senior members of faculty (both now retired) who remembered the original events apparently. I couldn't swear to it being 100% accurate but the fact that I heard the same story off two different people on two different occasions would seem to confirm it's pretty truthful.

I heard it off 2 different senior members of faculty (both now retired) who remembered the original events apparently. I couldn't swear to it being 100% accurate but the fact that I heard the same story off two different people on two different occasions would seem to confirm it's pretty truthful.

I had heard the story that he was a lecturer/Professor being bandied about by a few folks myself, but I had always assumed it was made up for the sake of being fanciful. That's actually amazing, even if it is tragic. I certainly hope the story of him saving a girl from being raped is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

What I do know however, is that a friend of mine who lived in Glenomena last year says he has a little house somewhere around the back where NovaUCD is, and she saw him one time go in with a bag of shopping and stuff.

Was your friend specific about where this house is ? I'm racking my brains trying to think of anything like that down there.

There is a "hidden" house reached from a driveway off the Owenstown Road entrance. The driveway has a gate at the end,that's always closed, and you can see the house from the laneway between the Owenstown Road and Foster's Avenue entrance :- but I wouldn't describe it as small.

Alan_P wrote: »
    Was your friend specific about where this house is ? I'm racking my brains trying to think of anything like that down there.

There is a "hidden" house reached from a driveway off the Owenstown Road entrance. The driveway has a gate at the end,that's always closed, and you can see the house from the laneway between the Owenstown Road and Foster's Avenue entrance :- but I wouldn't describe it as small.

She lived in the newest of the Glenomena apartment buildings, the onces furthest from the campus proper. And the house was visible from her window. That's all I know I'm afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I live in the furthest Glenomena house, one of the new ones. I see that man most mornings on my way to class, and we always say hi to each other. He seems quite friendly. I was waiting to meet my dad for dinner one day at the security shed near the Merville gates, and the old man walked up the grass bank opposite and into the trees beside it. He didn't come back out before I left and it was a good 15 minutes. Maybe he can access his house if he has one, through there? When I lived in Roebuck in first year I saw him quite frequently walking along the perimeter fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

We had this kind of thread before and someone mentioned that during the winter months he goes to a home in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

We had this kind of thread before and someone mentioned that during the winter months he goes to a home in Dun Laoghaire.
    Someone was clearly talking out of their ass.
    Saw the bum a good few times walking in Roebuck during the winter a couple years ago while jogging late in the evening.
    He is also on campus during winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

He is looked after by a few people in UCD and around UCD on the quiet, He gets his dole/pension/ government money through them and is given clothes etc too. The notion of having a fundraiser for one person is a bit ridiculous, why not raise money for a homeless charity that could distribute the funds equally. I've seen many homeless people just living off campus that are just as deserving as just one thats infamous around UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

He used to hang around the grassy bits around the hub a lot, they've taken that away now... He still spends a good bit of time in the hub though.

Maybe he might move the the lounge below ag where the sci-fi off shoot group migrated to when they took the couches away (Whenever they properly close the hub).

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

My friend works in the SU shop, Old Man Belfield comes in and gets loads of stuff - coffee cigarettes food etc and pays 4 quid which goes in a special box behind the counter.

He has a house and is looked after, he has a social worker who visits.

He has had a stroke and cant really talk

He hangs around ucd as part of his daily routine, I guess its better than sitting at home all day every day or whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've seen him eating in the SU shop the odd time. I find it hard to believe he has a house, he is clearly homeless and (sadly) smells like it too.

I sometimes see all the bits of bread on the floor and wrappers on the table and stuff and know he was here! :) I thought about buying him a coffee before, but he gets stuff free?

Interesting to hear about him. Never seen him anywhere other than the SU shop though. That's amazing that he used to be a lecturer, but sad he can't really talk, would be kind of cool to chat to him some time if I find myself sitting near him in SU again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There was a thread on this forum 3-4 years about people wanting to pool together money and buy him a present for Christmas. It never happened and was fairly roundly criticised I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jackmcg

kkumk wrote: »
    Lots of UCD Societies are always holding fundraiser's for various causes, which is great, but why don't we hold one for the UCD Bum?

how about you start by giving him a bit of respect? im sure he'd tell you where to shove your haircut if he knew you were referring to him as "UCD Bum"!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Yeah maybe not referring to him as furniture or "bum" would be a nice start if you so desperately want to show your kindness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dazaazad

Someone mentioned that he might have had a stroke, I fear this may be true as a couple of us tried to speak with em last April and all he could do was grunt and moan!!Dont worry it was only for a few seconds and we were quite respectful!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Think it's pretty callous to call him a bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

I lived in Belgrove, Merville and Glenomena and I bumped into him quite a few times near each of these residences. However, he seems to be around Glenomena quite a lot. I thought I was hallucinating when I first saw him in first year, because seeing someone who looks homeless on campus is a bit .. strange.
    He's a part of UCD though. Quite a popular figure. As to know what happened so he is in such situation, I believe it's none of our business.

Besides, he's not homeless. He just seems very very depressed.

Honestly, why not set up a fundraiser for people in UCD (students) who are actually struggling financially, him included ?! As someone said above, creating a fundraiser for just one person is a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If he really needed cash he could just run for the SU, He'd ****ing walk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

I used to work in a fast food place and this was one of the reasons I ended up quitting. Nothing pissed me off more than people who left their dirty napkins and wrappers lying around and expected someone else to clean up for them.

I wonder if you worked in more expensive restaurent would you complain about people not bringing their plates to the dishwasher when they were done? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Lets be pretty clear about something here. I nor anyone here knows anything about this man.I do know, however, that many people fall on hard times and were that my dad or my relative, I would be upset and horrified to think that people, some of whom have no experience of how difficult life outside of their sheltered family homes can be, called him a 'bum'.

As far as I am aware, he pays for his tea in the SU shop. He doesnt speak, which is as another poster mentioned may be due to a stroke. Or maybe he simply chooses not to speak? I for one, think that whatever the man's situation is, it is his own business.

Time for a bit of respect people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 asdf1234

Blacey wrote: »
    I wonder if you worked in more expensive restaurent would you complain about people not bringing their plates to the dishwasher when they were done? :rolleyes:

As a matter of interest, how much do you tip the person who cleans up after you in fast food outlets and the like? Do you ever go over the ten percent if they really do an outstanding job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Guys, have you not realised yet that the Old Man UCD is actually Hugh Brady in disguise? The same costume/make-up artists who did Lord of the Rings helped design his disguise.

this guy has been around ucd since about 1995 - he wasn't there when I started college there but appeared near that year or thereabouts. can't believe that he's still there. I still play astro soccer in UCD every week and have seen him up near the new swimming pool site when I park. he looks the same as he did 17 years ago... I always think that he looks like he has a certain dignity about him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jackmcg

asdf1234 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how much do you tip the person who cleans up after you in fast food outlets and the like? Do you ever go over the ten percent if they really do an outstanding job?

I work in a fancy-shmancy catering company for minimum wage with no tips.. doesn't matter if its mcdonalds or elsewhere, if hes not willing to clean up (read: do his job) then give the wages to someone more deserving of a job.

bit off-topic woops..

but yeah, i see old man belfield nearly every day up im up in richview getting a coffee and a sambo (without paying i think) really curious about his story now since this thread started- without the rumours!

Advertisement