Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fundraiser for UCD Bum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 asdf1234

Jackmcg wrote: »
    I work in a fancy-shmancy catering company for minimum wage with no tips.. doesn't matter if its mcdonalds or elsewhere, if hes not willing to clean up (read: do his job) then give the wages to someone more deserving of a job.

Its someone's job to clean the toilets as well. That doesn't mean you should feel obliged to **** on the floor.

about the guy leaving stuff on tables - he's had a stroke apparently - that has a significant affect on one's brain - maybe he doesn't even realise this... some people have little enough to worry about compared to what this guy has been through in his life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Blacey wrote: »
    I wonder if you worked in more expensive restaurent would you complain about people not bringing their plates to the dishwasher when they were done? :rolleyes:

It's not really the same thing though is it? Do you tip all those people in McDonalds 10% at the end of your meal?

I work in a fancy-shmancy catering company for minimum wage with no tips.. doesn't matter if its mcdonalds or elsewhere, if hes not willing to clean up (read: do his job) then give the wages to someone more deserving of a job.

Cleaning up ketchup soaked wrappers was not part of my job but it still had to be done, it was not part of the job description. Likewise when people ****ted on the floor someone had to clean it. As far as I'm concerned no one in McDonalds should be expected to clean up someones **** which is the natural logic which you're defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

how about you start by giving him a bit of respect? im sure he'd tell you where to shove your haircut if he knew you were referring to him as "UCD Bum"!
    Yeah maybe not referring to him as furniture or "bum" would be a nice start if you so desperately want to show your kindness.
    gypsy_rose wrote: »
    Think it's pretty callous to call him a bum
    yellow hen wrote: »
    Lets be pretty clear about something here. I nor anyone here knows anything about this man.I do know, however, that many people fall on hard times and were that my dad or my relative, I would be upset and horrified to think that people, some of whom have no experience of how difficult life outside of their sheltered family homes can be, called him a 'bum'.

As far as I am aware, he pays for his tea in the SU shop. He doesnt speak, which is as another poster mentioned may be due to a stroke. Or maybe he simply chooses not to speak? I for one, think that whatever the man's situation is, it is his own business.

Time for a bit of respect people.

I'm aware that its not the most polite way to refer to him, but I was just using the most common term that I had heard for him so that people would know who I was talking about, I didn't mean any offense by it. Furthermore, if I were him, I think I'd have better things to care about than what a bunch of irrelevant college students refer to me as.
    The whole point of my original post was not to cause harm or offend him or patronize him by assuming that he would even need or want our help. I was just pointing out the fact that UCD students are so excellent at volunteering and helping great causes and yet we seem (correct me if I'm wrong) to be ignoring someone on our own campus who could perhaps do with our help. Forgive me for making such assumptions, but giving out about people for wanting to help him isn't exactly productive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jackmcg

Cleaning up ketchup soaked wrappers was not part of my job but it still had to be done.

A customer in a sit-down restaurant (fast food or otherwise) is paying for a service as well as the food. There are no signs anywhere saying that the customer's responsibility to clean up, so if they choose not to clean up then its on you, job description or not. As you say- it has to be done- so stop moaning and just put the wrappers in the bin.. there are far worse jobs out there

And you simply cant compare clearing feces to clearing wrappers..!! I'd completely understand if you walked out of your job if you had to clean up ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241773

This is as complete a history as you will find on T'Internet in relation to this man.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241773

This is as complete a history as you will find on T'Internet in relation to this man.

To be fair, it's just an older version of this thread, it doesn't really have anything that this one does not. In fact the pinball machine story was a load of bollocks, no other word for it.

Advertisement