Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edible stuff in the front garden

Options
  • 01-12-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I don't want to seem like a loon with spuds growing in the front garden.
    Our back garden which is south facing is pretty small so I would like to plant some veg in the front if possible.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I was thinking of a damson tree for jam but that's about it! Any veg or fruit that would look OK in a front garden?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Rhubarb looks pretty good and does not need full sun. Artichokes could be another option, but you might need a bit of sun for the globes to ripen to make it worth while eating them! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

You could also have a herb garden at the front, as long as it wasn't too dark I guess.

Give off some nice scents on your way in the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Well yeah fruit trees and bushs would be good. You can train them to look the way you want.

Also, you could plant herbs inbetween your flowers.

Courgette plants could be suitable for what you want. Big green leaves with yellow flowers could sit well in a front garden.

You could look at square foot gardening which would not take up to much space and could be easily camouflaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

Growing veg in the front garden is becoming very trendy, so I would go for it, maybe divide into sections such as herb bed, fruit bushes, brassicas, cauliflowers, leeks etc if you laid it well it could look very nice

check out on line for ideas, am sure you wil fins lots of cools stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks as though your front garden is north facing, you would want to look fairly carefully at how much sun it gets before deciding to plant

• Advertisement
Advertisement