Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banged up abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

smash wrote: »
    Did anyone see the fat chick who decided to smuggle a load of coke from Columbia to the US in exchange for 10k so she could get gastric bypass surgery?

Dumbass of the highest order!

She probably won't be fat when she comes out, so it was a good idea, and she'll also be fluent in Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ejmaztec wrote: »
    She probably won't be fat when she comes out, so it was a good idea, and she'll also be fluent in Spanish.
    She was fluent in Spanish, that's why the dealer approached her to do it. And she was still fat when she got out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Spunge wrote: »
    That's one hell of a date.

and one hell of a drug ..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

There was one lad on that show who strapped the drugs onto his body and was about to board the plane only to get caught when one of the workers put his hand on his back while talking to him about the planes on the runway.

He was so close to getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭omega666

I've watched all the episodes. This is what I learnt.

1. When at the airport, DO NOT LOOK NERVOUS. This means take a beta blocker (or Xanax, or whatever) to chemically keep you calm, and be doing something like munching on a croissant and drinking a coke as you go through customs. Most of the people get caught because they look nervous at the airport.

2. Wrap the drugs around your body rather than put them in the bag, i.e. remove the x-ray machine risk.

3. Don't do the crime unless you're willing to do the time!

What I find most mad is that the people only get paid about $5k to import the drugs. NOT WORTH IT!!

EDIT: sorry for the weird fonts I'm using chinese windows and it is going crazy

i've watched all the eposides and agree, looking nervous is most people's downfall. Stupidy is another.

Another thing i dont get is when they know they are going to be caught when standing in queues or whatever and they see search's or dogs up ahead.Instead of bailing out and head to a jacks to get rid of the stuff they decide it's too late and chance thier luck anyway.

I know if i was in that suitation i would be doing my best to get the hell out of there without trying to be too obvious.

The most unfortuante one i saw was a guy who had coke strapped all around his body, he got through all the security checks and everything when he arrived at the boarding gate and saw another security check.
    He did brilliantly and got through this one also and went to walking onto the plane when the security officer just put his hand on his back to direct him towards the ramp and felt the coke underneath his shirt. (edit - Sierra 117 beat me too it!)

The most stupid one was two girls in south america who had huge bricks of coke sewed into the lining of thier suitcase. You could see the outline of the bricks sticking out like a sore thumb through the suitcase!! They still went ahead and were obviously caught at the first security check they met.

smash wrote: »
    She was fluent in Spanish, that's why the dealer approached her to do it. And she was still fat when she got out :D

:(

She was probably smuggling drugs out of prison in her stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bogata via Bangkok via Amsterdam is my preferred route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Used to watch the show until they has some Aussie guy on it whose story was very very very far fetched. Basically, his mate set him up, got caught, went to prison. Mate came forward but the police wanted to save face. Guy pretends he's mental, goes to psychiatric hospital, attempts to escape, almost makes it, gets caught. They realise he wasn't mental and send him back to prison. Escapes a couple of times. One of the times he pretends he's a woman, successfully escapes and is about to leave the country. Walking by a beach a guy selling souvenirs comes up to him. Just so happens the seller is also a prison guard part time and recognises him. Your man runs off and dodges machine gun fire. Gets caught. Back to prison, gets in a row and is stabbed. Dies. Goes to hospital. Brought to morgue. They're preparing the body for the funeral. He wakes up. Back to prison. And then released.

I haven't been able to watch it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Another, I suppose, unfortunate one I saw was a girl in Tokyo. She had met this Israeli lad, and they used to fly to Nepal to buy a kilo of hash for the equivalent of $100 and make about $5,000-$10,000 off it (figures aren't exact obviously as I can't remember fully).

They would break it down and mould into their shoes, in their belts, and she put some in her bra too. 4 times they had absolutely no trouble at all doing it, but this time when the Israeli gave her her take there was a third missing. She kicked up a fuss and told him she needed the money etc, and he said OK he'd go and get it. He never returned.

That should have been her cue to stop, but no. She decided to go back to Nepal, and head straight back home to American from Tokyo with the drugs. This time she bought 2 kilos which would have netted her $30,000 in America. She went to Nepal airport but had gone a day early, kicked up a fuss and was taken into a back room. The inspector bought her story of being stressed out etc that's why she had missed the day. She was immensely lucky to get away with that without being searched. Anyway, she went back the next day and when she went to security they were rigorously frisking the passengers. She made a beeline for the toilet and dumped the extra stuff she was taking so went with her usual amount. She survived the frisk, went to Toyko and got lost in the airport. She asked two pilots that she say where the transfer flights were and they gave her directions. She followed the directions, thinking ''this is it, I've done the hard part'', only to end up walking through the door of customs. The pilots had misunderstood her and given her the wrong directions. Fair enough she thought, they'll just search my bag, I've nothing in there and won't frisk me as I'm a female. They searched through the bag and found a bit of hash that she had put back into her bag the night before as she needed to relax after getting brough to the room in Nepal the night before she had smoked some and forgot to strap it to her after using some :pac: Very careless, and she probably would have even survived customs in Tokyo only for that error.

Of course then they brought her to the room and searched her and found the rest of the stuff.

The prison was awful and I think she served about 5 or 6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,186 ✭✭✭Tow

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I doubt it - they only painted over "death to drug dealers" on the walls of Ninoy Aquino airport fairly recently. If you aren't wedged into a small wire mesh cage with fifty other prisoners being fed scraps by charitable strangers through the slats, you get to go into solitary, which is a concrete coffin without enough room to sit up or stretch your arms out on either side. And forget about air conditioning.

They abolished the death penalty in 2006.
    If you get caught in Mactan airport you will end up learning Michel Jackson moves in Cebu prison with thousands of other prisoners.
    Is that worse than a wire cage in Manila?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

There's a great book called Marching Powder which is a detailed account of what it's like to be in prison in Bolivia for coke smuggling
    Scarey stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A number of years back I emptied my pockets into the security tray entering Dublin Airport dept lounge. Just as I it went through the scanner I noticed an 1/8th of blow wrapped in foil that I forgot I had. My heart stopped for a few seconds, security didnt even notice it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

is it a myth that pigeons can be used for smuggling?in many a ww2 film notes are sent by strapping it to the birdies leg?if this was the case a note being replaced by a small light pack of whatever in the country of origin and the pigeon effectively smuggled to the destination country? ps.this is something id never ever attempt as,from the age of about 7 or 8 years onward I've had a deathly fear of birds.mostly thanks to a one A.hitchcock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I've brought back a gram or two of weed now and then but I certainly wouldn't try it outside of Europe.

Danbo! wrote: »
    Used to watch the show until they has some Aussie guy on it whose story was very very very far fetched. Basically, his mate set him up, got caught, went to prison. Mate came forward but the police wanted to save face. Guy pretends he's mental, goes to psychiatric hospital, attempts to escape, almost makes it, gets caught. They realise he wasn't mental and send him back to prison. Escapes a couple of times. One of the times he pretends he's a woman, successfully escapes and is about to leave the country. Walking by a beach a guy selling souvenirs comes up to him. Just so happens the seller is also a prison guard part time and recognises him. Your man runs off and dodges machine gun fire. Gets caught. Back to prison, gets in a row and is stabbed. Dies. Goes to hospital. Brought to morgue. They're preparing the body for the funeral. He wakes up. Back to prison. And then released.

I haven't been able to watch it since.

Wasn't he the guy whose friend was going to break him out, but the friend got murdered so couldn't make it?:confused:

:pac:

• Advertisement

Wasn't he the guy whose friend was going to break him out, but the friend got murdered so couldn't make it?:confused:

:pac:

Your mixing up two episodes there. The one where the friend got murdered was in 'The Real Midnight Express'. The other one was in Bali where this Aussie guys mate tried to bust him out of a mental asylum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

banged up abroad,
    next time use a rubber!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Tow wrote: »
    They abolished the death penalty in 2006.
    If you get caught in Mactan airport you will end up learning Michel Jackson moves in Cebu prison with thousands of other prisoners.
    Is that worse than a wire cage in Manila?
    That's the exercise yard. This is a luxury cell, due to the telly and the room to sit up.

Wattle wrote: »
    Your mixing up two episodes there. The one where the friend got murdered was in 'The Real Midnight Express'. The other one was in Bali where this Aussie guys mate tried to bust him out of a mental asylum.

Just goes to show they're all the feckin same.

When you've watched one you've watched em all.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just watched an interesting one there.

A fella meets a woman from the Philippines on the internet, ends up going over to meet her, gets her pregnant, both get charged for adultery and her ex-husband is a crazed loon who tries to gun them down!

Here's the full episode if anyone's interested:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

A number of years back I emptied my pockets into the security tray entering Dublin Airport dept lounge. Just as I it went through the scanner I noticed an 1/8th of blow wrapped in foil that I forgot I had. My heart stopped for a few seconds, security didnt even notice it. :p

Was moving back to Ireland over ten years ago in which I handed myself in to the cops at Store Street as I had skipped court, and on my travels I had two 25 Guilders bags of weed on me, White Widow and sticky stuff, Also had a 1 gram pony pack of coke inside a CD case so as I walked through customs in Holyhead I was pulled over and searched and the very last pocket he patted on my combats was where the weed was as I had taken it out of the ruck sack to skin up earlier at the motorway services, Some dose I was taken into a room and searched but the funny part was when he found more weed in a tracksuit pocket but it was small I had clearly not known it was there, They checked to make sure I had no convictions in Britain and then gave me a caution....They never found the coke though but it came in handy in Mountjoy ...

omega666 wrote: »
    The most stupid one was two girls in south america who had huge bricks of coke sewed into the lining of thier suitcase. You could see the outline of the bricks sticking out like a sore thumb through the suitcase!! They still went ahead and were obviously caught at the first security check they met.

People smuggling drugs don't have a camera crew. Are you basing this on the reconstruction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

1) They never get paid 100k, maybe if it was your own stuff you bought and you were going to dedicate your life selling 100 quid deals if you got it home then you might make 100k.
    2) A lot of them are set up to occupy customs/police while someone else gets through elsewhere.
    3) If you are thick enough to chance it through a commercial airport you deserve to be banged up.

Although a woman in London was caught with 18KGs of grass....guess what she got for it. 9months!!! 9months! If I got 18kgs of grass through once, id glady do the 9 months standing on my head next time!

But she didn't get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I'm saying if I got a few through previous.

Then you would be on my speed dial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Paully D wrote: »
    Mufasa, is........is......that you?

I am the Big Mufasaaaa.

I have missed you, little one.

My loins ache for you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

:eek:

Wow. I can see the temptation. Delivering by a yacht is the way to go. The sea is so open out there and you are incredibly unlucky to get stopped and searched. There's agreement between Britain and Ireland about not stopping anyone by boat. You can get from Antrim to Scotland by boat in just a few hours and I'm sure a lot of people who were involved in the Troubles took advantage of this.

I know people who have sailed yachts back from France, Croatia and Portugal who haven't been stopped. It's a huge potential money earner.

Nonsense.
    Naval Service
    Main article: Irish Naval Service
    Irish Naval Service vessel LÉ Eithne
    The Naval Service maintains a complement of about 1,144 personnel, and is tasked with policing Irish territorial waters as well as the Irish Conservation Box a large area of sea in which fishing is restricted in order to preserve numbers. The Naval Service is tasked with enforcing this EU protected area and thus serves the EU as well as Ireland.[13] The Naval Service, together with the Air Corps and Customs, have intercepted a number of vessels carrying narcotics to and from Ireland.[14]
    The Navy has eight offshore patrol vessels which are operated in support of the service's main roles, inflatable sea going craft, and training vessels. The Naval Service maintains highly trained armed boarding parties that can seize a vessel if necessary, and a special unit of frogmen called the Naval Service Diving Section. While the Naval Service does not have any heavy warships, all of the naval vessels have enough firepower to enforce their policing roles.
    The primary role is defined as "National Security", with secondary roles which include:
    Fishery Protection
    Aid to the Civil Power
    Drug Interdiction
    Maritime Safety
    Diving Operations
    Pollution Control
    Overseas Mission Support

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

new episode on tonight 9pm nat geo should be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

something very similar happened to me coming home from a festibal in liverpool airport last year - emptying my pockets....nearly shat my pants, was able to get rid of it just before going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

read sandra gregorys forget you had a daughter.
    put me off doing it anyway thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I read the book about the 2 young British lads who got banged up in Venezuela for drug smuggling. Probably the best book I ever read. What they went through was just incredible. A prison where inmates have guns, knifes and even grenades is insane. It certainly turned me off going anywhere near drugs.

• Advertisement

Saw a Sky News report yesterday where a British woman was caught bringing a million worth of cocaine into Bali which is insane as Indonesia has some of the toughest sentences in the world for smuggling. No doubt in a few years time she'll end up with her own episode of Banged Up Abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

mackg wrote: »
    No, risking spending your whole life in some pit of a jail in Thailand is not worth it. I assume people that do it are heavily in debt already and have no real choice in the matter. Either that or they have no sense what so ever.
    mackg wrote: »
    No, risking Being executed in some pit of a jail in Thailand is not worth it. I assume people that do it are heavily in debt already and have no real choice in the matter. Either that or they have no sense what so ever.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Kudos to you for fixing a 10 month old post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Apologies have not read all this thread. Anyone see the guy who was in "dude where's my car" the other week on it

what a **** talker - in his story he got battered to an inch of his life managed to batter about 10 pakistanis at one time, threw one over a balcony, battered the roughest prison warden and was about to be murdered when a senior guard stopped and saved him. he was cheered and a hero when he left :rolleyes:

sounded like a complete ass hole looking for a film to be made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Kidnapped Abroad is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Kidnapped Abroad is good too.
    Ahh, not so great if you are in the pre-production version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bajer100

I got my girlfriend to smuggle my coke through customs by sticking it up her arse.

I didn't know I could get another can in the departures lounge!

Kudos to you for fixing a 10 month old post.

They should be Banged up on Boards for that.:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=335

They should be Banged up on Boards for that.:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=335
    I didn't even know there was a prison forum! :pac:

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    Ahh, not so great if you are in the pre-production version.
    It's a lot harder to watch. At least the people on Banged Up Abroad brought it on themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I've seen the Bang Kwang prison in Bangkok, so no thanks OP:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Best episode I've seen: Escape from Argentina

Brief outline: English nursing student gets caught with cocaine, goes on the run from Argentina. Will this border swimming woman make it home to the UK??

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=watch%20banged%20up%20abroad%20argentina%20&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dfi5mXsph40o&ei=WV5mUPS8GJOGhQf8voCADA&usg=AFQjCNFfH7NlWYEX55wP_Rm1yrJLYJhw-A

***Spoiler Alert ***
    Full video info:
    Lucy Wright is a nursing student when her life goes from bad to worse to hell. Her boyfriend leaves, she becomes addicted to crack, and the bills keep piling up. To get out of debt, she smuggles cocaine from Argentina back to the U.K. But she's busted in Argentina - facing 16 to 25 years. She decides her only chance at freedom is escaping to Brazil. She makes a decision to jump bail, become a fugitive from the law and flee across the border. But without a passport, she must cross the old-fashioned way: swim. Emerging miraculously on the other side, she believes she is free and starts a new life back home. But two years later, police come knocking.

It doesn't tell you at the end of this video but:
    she won her extradition appeal, UK refused to extradite her. Free woman now as far as I know - in the UK at least.

Very good episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I ofton watch this programme.

They always seem to get out after a fairly short period of time though, even from places where you would expect them to get a life sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

jimpump wrote: »
    just been watching a few episodes, would you risk smuggling H,Coke etc. for 100 k quid?

Not sure, never been in the situation. I'd like to be able to say i'd say no, but the briefcase may persuade me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

omega666 wrote: »
    i've watched all the eposides and agree, looking nervous is most people's downfall. Stupidy is another.

Another thing i dont get is when they know they are going to be caught when standing in queues or whatever and they see search's or dogs up ahead.Instead of bailing out and head to a jacks to get rid of the stuff they decide it's too late and chance thier luck anyway.

I know if i was in that suitation i would be doing my best to get the hell out of there without trying to be too obvious.

I was in line in Heathrow when that lil spaniel came by. I went to a fountain and right after I had a drink an officer pulled me aside. Turns out one of the first things they notice is when someone avoids the dog, even casually, and from a distance. They check all my docs, ask a few questions etc. So they put the dog up to me for a sniff, and tell me to stop talking about how cute it was, check my bags etc, then let me go. Turns out Beagles can't smell 200K worth of uncut diamonds worth a damn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Reindeer wrote: »
    I was in line in Heathrow when that lil spaniel came by. I went to a fountain and right after I had a drink an officer pulled me aside. Turns out one of the first things they notice is when someone avoids the dog, even casually, and from a distance. They check all my docs, ask a few questions etc. So they put the dog up to me for a sniff, and tell me to stop talking about how cute it was, check my bags etc, then let me go. Turns out Beagles can't smell 200K worth of uncut diamonds worth a damn.
    Ahh, sure how could the poor dog smell them, everyone knows bull5hit drowns out all other smells.

Apologies have not read all this thread. Anyone see the guy who was in "dude where's my car" the other week on it

what a **** talker - in his story he got battered to an inch of his life managed to batter about 10 pakistanis at one time, threw one over a balcony, battered the roughest prison warden and was about to be murdered when a senior guard stopped and saved him. he was cheered and a hero when he left :rolleyes:

sounded like a complete ass hole looking for a film to be made

I saw that episode and thought the guy was hands down the biggest moron ever featured in the programme. He goes jogging in the streets of Karachi and then tries to chat up the local girls. What an absolute doofus.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

mojesius wrote: »
    F*ck no.

That programme cracks me up. They are always complete morons on it. And it's always in the dodgiest countries where the sentences are life/ death penalty

I remember one woman who was living it up in Goa, got a bit fond of the charlie and didn't want to go home. She sent the package (i think it was hash) from the exact same post office not once, not twice but three times! And this was in a massive city like Mumbai or New Delhi. Eh love, maybe you should use another post office ffs! Then, when the third package didn't reach its destination in Europe, she called the post office to find out what happened and physically called back in where of course, the drug squad were waiting for her. What a muppet.

Funnier still are the ones who do try it from South America. The prisons are always completely mental.
    that was the one i saw. Used to put it in little hollow buddha statues.

odds are it works greater than 80% of the time.

they have scanners now that pick up so much as a single grain (0.02g) of weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Reindeer wrote: »

Huh, well given I'm extremely allergic to dogs I tend to avoid them as much as possible. I'd probably get strip searched if I came up against those guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

After reading The Damage Done, by Warren Fellows....No I never ever would.

He was sent to Bang Kwang prison after trying to smuggle heroin from Perth to Bankok. Brilliant book, very chilling.

Im reading In the Shadow of Papillon right now, almost finished. Brilliant book too.

An Englishman and his girlfriend try to smuggle coke out of Venezuela. Get caught, get 10 years in a Venezuelan prison.

Scary reading at times, he was released after serving 7 years, not sure when his girlfriend was released. Jesus Id never last that long in there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement