Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auckland Long Term..

• 01-12-2011 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Im here now in new zealand just shy of 3 months, and with job offers coming in for perminant positions im looking at the possibilities of staying for many many more to come. Presently on a working Holiday but will be applying for a 5 year work visa in the new year.

Currently im hostel bound but am looking at being in an apartment by the end of next week.

Now.. Basically what im looking for is opinions regarding the services here in Auckland, the like of electricity, water, gas etc. Oh and Broadband as well is very important to me.. Who are the best providers etc, i can see the prices all online im looking to find out what their services are like. For electricity it doesnt really matter but for BB im looking for a dependable connection, im a gamer, but i also want to keep in contact with home and maybe stream the odd GAA match..

Any help much apreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Landa2 wrote: »
    Im here now in new zealand just shy of 3 months, and with job offers coming in for perminant positions im looking at the possibilities of staying for many many more to come. Presently on a working Holiday but will be applying for a 5 year work visa in the new year.

Currently im hostel bound but am looking at being in an apartment by the end of next week.

Now.. Basically what im looking for is opinions regarding the services here in Auckland, the like of electricity, water, gas etc. Oh and Broadband as well is very important to me.. Who are the best providers etc, i can see the prices all online im looking to find out what their services are like. For electricity it doesnt really matter but for BB im looking for a dependable connection, im a gamer, but i also want to keep in contact with home and maybe stream the odd GAA match..

Any help much apreciated :)

I use Orcon for BB. Service is very good, never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

Hi Guys
    Myself and my gf will be moving Auckland within the next 3 months. We are looking for a place to live in the suburbs. Somewhere nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Hi Landa

Been a here a few months now. Im with Mercury for elec and had 2 bills so far, 35 and 47 or something like that. Im with Orcon for BB, 30 gb limit with phone line is costing me 80 a month. I think they have a sliding scale of the download limit. Like $5 extra a month for 10 gb more, etc. Speed is decent enough aswell. Nowhere near Irish speeds but fine. Im not a game though but do like to stream music and watch the odd movie.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 keaneray

Landa,

Like Munky I'm with Orcon. Good provider and one of few who offer 'naked broadband' i.e. no landline phone and no lengthy contract. Costs me $80 per month for 25Gb. It's fine for online gaming. Have played some CS last year.

As for streaming GAA, best option is to use a vpn unless you have a secure Irish IP. I use Astrill. Costs me $50 for 6 months. Gives you numerous servers to choose from around the world, Ireland included. I've watched most of the Irish soccer on RTE.ie over the last year. Also good when downloading to cover your ass.

Elprez,

You need to be more specific, somewhere nice can be found in many places around the city. I would however recommend the following places with location, cost and transport in mind: Grey Lynn, Kingsland, Mount Eden, Epsom, Greenlane, Ellerslie & Remuera.

If you know your budget per week I could give you a better idea.

Cheers,

Ray

Advertisement