Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in construction industry coming up to christmas

Options
  • 01-12-2011 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it always dies up coming up to christmas, I had 8 weeks work in a row but now all the places im ringing are saying theyll take my details and will have work for me in january, is this the norm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

astonaidan wrote: »
    Just wondering if it always dies up coming up to christmas, I had 8 weeks work in a row but now all the places im ringing are saying theyll take my details and will have work for me in january, is this the norm

No it will probably be February, unless its road construction which they tend to do in January because of the light Traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Sorry yeah its as a traffic controller, So looks like ill be looking for shop work:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

astonaidan wrote: »

It wasnt. Normally in the run up to Christmas they cant get enough labour. However, its 3 years since the mass emigration started from back home, with the vast majority of those lads going into construction. With more arriving daily and pretty much nobody who arrived in the last 3 years leaving Australia, the labouring sector is hitting saturation point IMO. (got quite a laugh the other week when the Aussie government claimed there are 1200 odd illegal Irish in Australia. 1200, come on, really. Ive nearly more lads than that on my phone FFS. Bondi has more "Mexicans" than East LA. I know this is Australia and so migration is a big political issue and so the figures have to be played to appease the electorate, but this book cooking is so bad its funny.) Ive been working the same job for yonks so Im grand but alot of the lads are constantly on gumtree and getting FA responses. Used to be you would go on Gumtree, post an ad and have a job within the half hour, and turn down 4 other offers. Now you are lucky to get one call.

Work wont begin again until late January- thinks are even still stuttering into February. Its really something alot of lads are completely uninformed about when they arrive.

FFS Damo what's it with you an illegals, nearly every 2nd post of your's on Australia & NZ forums mentions illegals.

As for the mass migration I think you been watching too much RTE, its a statical fact that since July 2008 less than 10,000 Irish people have migrated to Australia. The highest number in a single year was 2010-11. A total of 3700.

2009-10 < 3222
    2008-09 < 3046

Its all there on http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/statistical-info/visa-grants/

That is a Fact you cant say that the Dept. of Immigration has dressed it to appease the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

mandrake04 wrote: »
    FFS Damo what's it with you an illegals, nearly every 2nd post of your's on Australia & NZ forums mentions illegals.

So the construction labour market is getting tighter because....why? The OP said that it was the run up to Xmas and he couldnt get work- I offered the theory that it is because nobody goes home any more. The economy was still booming last time I checked. But as booming as an economy may be there are not going to be forever an infinite amount of jobs in a sector that a vast majority of Irish men and a sizeable number of girls find employment in.

As for the mass migration I think you been watching too much RTE, its a statical fact that since July 2008 less than 10,000 Irish people have migrated to Australia. The highest number in a single year was 2010-11. A total of 3700.

Jesus. Speaking of misleading statistics!

The working holiday is in effect a migrant visa these days. 10,000 may have came on skilled visas- what about all the WHVs, students, de factos etc etc. The days when Irish people used it simply as a bit of a travelling adventure have been dead for 3 years. Without looking for the exact figures over the last few years it has generally been in the region of 18- 30,000 per year. From personal experience the vast majority of those who arrived since 2008 are still here, be they illegal, de facto, sponsored or students. Australia has a somewhat quiet tolerance of these people- yes, they do the deportations etc etc but the government quietly realises that without the Irish there arent many lads here willing to be getting trains at 5am, there arent many pretty Aussie girls willing to wear a hi vis and boots and stand on the road with a sign despite the good money, there arent many....I could go on. They tolerate this for the same reasons they allow Indians and Pakistanis already fluent in English to come here to "learn English" as students- otherwise the country would cease to function.

That is a Fact you cant say that the Dept. of Immigration has dressed it to appease the electorate.

Aye. A government has never, ever released falsfied or misleading stats to the media. FFS our own government released census figures showing a ridicillously low amount of Polish living in Ireland that seemed to completely contradict the PPS numbers. Anyone who thinks that in the whole of Australia, in Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and Darwin, and in a few country towns, that all these places contain a grand total of 1200 Irish illegals, I know if I told you the sky was blue you would usually challenge it but even you cant argue that this figure has been put out to make the "problem" less big. Admitting there were 10,000* illegals from a small country, and the vast majority of them having become so in the last few years, would create a bit of a media stir.

*: Not that Im saying there are 10,000. There could be 6000, there could be 20,000. But there sure as fcuk are not a mere 1200 and there is not one Irish person in Australia who could argue otherwise.

• Advertisement

WHV is a holiday visa, if someone said they are emigrating to Santa Ponsa for two weeks in July people would just laugh at them.

You are only classed as a migrant if you migrate, if you are on a student visa you are classed as a international Student, a 457 visa is classed as a foreign worker and on a WHV you are a tourist. If you are illegal you havent migrated either. (unless an amnesty is granted)

I'm not arguing with you over the amount of illegal's just your claims of mass immigration to Australia by Irish people. Out of the 168685 migrants who migrated last year 2.2% were Irish.

But I am amused at your obsession with illegals, it's as if you are trying to promote it a a viable option.

** that figure of 168K is a total of all permanent migrants General Skilled, ENS, Family & spouse.

Gen. Skilled migrants was 108K

I am not arguing with you personally Damo, I am merely attacking your post because you pick numbers out of the sky as if it's gospel. The stats I have provided are readily available from DIAC website which as most Mods around here would agree is a source of truth. If you can post a link to reliable figures to back up your claims I am sure we would all love to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So was talking to a foreman on site and he said that the work always kinda dies up cause people want the work finished before the holidays, But saying that I work in demolitions for a bathroom and kitchen company but I was on a westfields site and they had the same target to be finished before christmas.
    Being an illegal? I think with my looks itll be defacto all the way;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am going to stick this out there.

If you enter on a Working Holiday Visa you swipe in to activate it.

Database knows your here and when your visa expires

If you fail to swipe out and the expire date is reached then the database knows you are no illegal.

Select count(*), Nation from whv where exit_date is null and CURDATE() > visa_expire_date and Nation = Ireland group by nation.

That figure will be the amount of Irish illegally here.

Secondly however I don't even know 500 people on face book never mind know 1000 people in my phone.

* Feel free to correct my dodgy SQL... its been years

Zambia wrote: »
    I am going to stick this out there.

If you enter on a Working Holiday Visa you swipe in to activate it.

Database knows your here and when your visa expires

If you fail to swipe out and the expire date is reached then the database knows you are no illegal.

Select count(*), Nation from whv where exit_date is null and CURDATE() > visa_expire_date and Nation = Ireland group by nation.

That figure will be the amount of Irish illegally here.

Secondly however I don't even know 500 people on face book never mind know 1000 people in my phone.

* Feel free to correct my dodgy SQL... its been years

I'm with you Zambia
    11 June 2011

The number of Irish people currently living unlawfully in Australia is at 1,075, a 24 per cent increase on last year’s figures.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2011/06/11/irish-visa-%E2%80%98overstayers%E2%80%99-speak-out/10465

as for appeasing the electorate, I hardly think the villagers would be turning out with pitchforks because a thousand or so illegal Paddies overstayed their visa.

Personally in the last 7 years I have known about 25 overstayers, 1 has gone straight and about 20 packed in in and eventually went home. That leaves about 4.

The longest was 18 years ... fella called Steve from Tyrone came here when he was 18 and went home at 36, they always go home in the end.

Anyway how does a thread about employment end up about illegals?

I suppose when Damo gets involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

if they are Mexicans in LA , would they be Wexicans over here ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MOD Yeah we have gone of track, no more illegal talk please new thread request if you feel its really necessary to debate the figures.

Back to Construction by the way I hear it is slowing in Victoria.

Less residential Houses being built

Zambia wrote: »
    Back to Construction by the way I hear it is slowing in Victoria.

Less residential Houses being built

Heard that myself, have a friend who just emigrated there on a SS 176.

Not surprising since I heard house prices in Melbourne are slightly down due to over saturation, reports of plenty of tradies feeling the pinch on the other websites.

Advertisement