Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For iPad users

Options
  • 01-12-2011 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

It would be great if you removed the "unsubscribe" from the forum list in the usercp or move it so it isn't so easy to hit.

Also the page 1,2,3 etc links. Make them slightly bigger or move them a little bit away from the advert to avoid misclicks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Have been giving out about that tonight myself!

But as I'm using Boards through Safari I don't see how any specific changes could be made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

I'm afraid we're very much on lock down as far as moving stuff around on the main site is concerned. The VBulletin template system is just too much of a pig to work with and we have plans to replace it over the coming year.

We do however have a native iOS app coming very soon(it just did it's first round of testing yesterday), it's designed for iPhone but should scale for iPad. Based on feedback from that we may look at modding it to take full advantage of the iPads larger display.

Thank god for that...using Safari on my iPad has been a pain...keep having to sign in!

Any idea of a time frame for it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Current goal is to get it out before Christmas, while at the same time not 'doing a gmail' on it.

Might have to explain the reference to me....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

kmart6 wrote: »
    Might have to explain the reference to me....?

Gmail launched an iOS app there not too long ago which had buggy notifications and quickly pulled it. Two weeks later the app came back and notifications were fixed but ultimately the app was still a web site inside an app. We don't want to do a "gmail" and get it wrong from the get go, we want great app from the get go. The Boards iOS app has been built from the ground up using the same api as touch.boards.ie but will take advantage of native iOS controls.

Believe me when I say it's great (have been a boards user since 2000) and it's my number 1 way of reading boards whilst commuting to the office.

Brilliant thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I might as well be the one to ask: is an Android app planned?

I might as well be the one to ask: is an Android app planned?
    We have the resources to do it yes, and it's on the cards. When can we fit it in to our development plans? I'm not 100% sure and don't make those calls :). As I mentioned above the huge amount of plumbing (api) that was done by Ross and Conor makes it a whole lot easier for us to create apps so if I was to guess, I'd say we see an android version some time next year (but don't come a knocking on Jan 1st :)).

Just to preempt All other platforms (windows 7, symbian, webOS) are not on the cards at the moment though.

On a side note...why do I have to keep logging in every time I visit the site in Safari?! I'm ticking the remember me box every time...so is it a browser issue or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

On a side note...why do I have to keep logging in every time I visit the site in Safari?! I'm ticking the remember me box every time...so is it a browser issue or what?

Maybe you have cookies disabled? With regards to the potential android app, if you guys need a beta tester give me a shout. :)

As what AlmightyCushion mentioned, can you ensure you have cookies enabled? It's doubtful you have them turned off as login remembering would be broken for most of the inter for yourself.

Are you on the latest safari too? I'll have to wait until I'm at home to give this a whirl as I've no mac here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Another iPad webpage display issue.

I use the Beta skin and on all my PC Browsers (IE, Safari, Firefox and Chrome) or Safari and Firefox on my Mac, as I scroll down the page the topmenu bar scrolls down with me, very handy feature.

On the iPad however, it stays locked to the top of the page and I lose it when I scroll down.

Any chance that could be fixed for the iPad?
    We do however have a native iOS app coming very soon(it just did it's first round of testing yesterday), it's designed for iPhone but should scale for iPad. Based on feedback from that we may look at modding it to take full advantage of the iPads larger display.
    Ugh! Any time I use an iPhone App on my iPad, I have to '2x' the screen and that renders a very rubbish pixellated experience. It's vital to have a dedicated iPad imo. I'm happy to try it out but if it's anything remotely like other iPhone apps that scale up to iPad then I'll be deleting it sharpish. Glad the iPhone users will have something to use though. :)

Please, please, please bring out a dedicated iPad app though. The iPad is not a larger iPod touch despite what the anti-Apple muppets like to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Another iPad webpage display issue.

I use the Beta skin and on all my PC Browsers (IE, Safari, Firefox and Chrome) or Safari and Firefox on my Mac, as I scroll down the page the topmenu bar scrolls down with me, very handy feature.

On the iPad however, it stays locked to the top of the page and I lose it when I scroll down.

Any chance that could be fixed for the iPad?
    There's an option in the little cog wheel for "Lock Navigation" that controls whether the beta menu moves with you or not. Must be unticked on the iPad :)

RolandIRL wrote: »
    There's an option in the little cog wheel for "Lock Navigation" that controls whether the beta menu moves with you or not. Must be unticked on the iPad :)

It was unticked by default. I've tried ticking it, applying changes and refreshing the page, no joy.

I've tried unticking it, applying changes, logging out, logging in again, it's still the same.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aye, don't think that feature works with the iPad, doesn't on my iOS5.

Sorry for getting back to you so late Kmart (you guys need to convince Paddy to get us all macs ;)), running the latest version of safari here with lion and snow leopard one is logged into my Boards.ie: Neil account and the other my personal account and both ticked 'remember me' and it doesn't log me out.

r3nu4l and Gordon I don't see that issue with the beta menu and i'm using the latest iOS build (5.0.1).

see below:

We have a few projects lined up and mid way completion at the moment that will keep our hands tied until January. UI will be getting a look at in the new year though.

r3nu4l and Gordon I don't see that issue with the beta menu and i'm using the latest iOS build (5.0.1).

see below:

We have a few projects lined up and mid way completion at the moment that will keep our hands tied until January. UI will be getting a look at in the new year though.

Broken attachment link there Neil :)

Bear in mind that just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there :D

Also, Gordon is on iOS5 but I haven't upgraded yet on my iPad1. For the record, this has always been the way with my iPad, it's not a recent problem.

Haven't got near my iPad yet...it's all the way upstairs...I'll check it in a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Apologies, it does work, but it didn't before (sorry, can't remember when so it must have been ios4). When it started working I had to switch it off because 30% of the time, the boards dropdown menu (far left) stays dropped and gets in the way of the content. Sorry, mistaken, I just to used to not having it on the iPad!

• Advertisement

Broken attachment link there Neil :)

Bear in mind that just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there :D

Also, Gordon is on iOS5 but I haven't upgraded yet on my iPad1. For the record, this has always been the way with my iPad, it's not a recent problem.

apologies for the broken link i'll look into that tomorrow as well oh and believe me i've seen my fair share of bugs that aren't there for some but there for me, try catching race condition bugs that only manifest depending on what code the browser/server executes first :pac:.

anyways here's what i'm seeing
    g2Noh.png

Can you ensure that you try the following.

1. clear cache & cookies by going to settings >> safari >> "clear cookies and data"
    2. change your boards.ie skin to default, hit save and change back to beta.
    3. log out and log back in again.

Haven't got near my iPad yet...it's all the way upstairs...I'll check it in a bit!
    Kmart is the 'remember me issue happening for you on safari on a mac or on your iPad? It shouldn't make a difference but will help me debug it further.

Safari on my iPad!

Thanks Neil. I followed every step as described but still no joy. Screen cap attached.

Thanks Neil. I followed every step as described but still no joy. Screen cap attached.

Very strange, unfortunately I can't test with with any iOS 4 devices as believe it or not every phone and iPad (there are a lot believe me) have been fully updated to 5.0.1 which works as expected.

Maybe it's time for me to update then :) I've been hesitant to upgrade as I prefer other people to upgrade before me, suffer the fatal errors and then wait until those errors are fixed before upgrading my own device :D

I'll probably upgrade later this week and go from there. Thanks for looking into it anyway. I'll get back to you one way or another.

Maybe it's time for me to update then :) I've been hesitant to upgrade as I prefer other people to upgrade before me, suffer the fatal errors and then wait until those errors are fixed before upgrading my own device :D

I'll probably upgrade later this week and go from there. Thanks for looking into it anyway. I'll get back to you one way or another.
    Cool let me know how you get on, I'm know as the iOS fan boy in the office so give me a shout if you come across anything else awry.

Cookies is enabled and it still isn't keeping me logged in!

Any update on the iPad app?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Any update on the iPad app?!

It is still in development, the mobile developers are working on it. No ETA, but there is a beta tester thread over in the Apple forum.

• Advertisement

I upgraded to the latest OS and the menu works perfectly now :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement